pasifism

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
Hello folks. I'm back.

I've just been in jail for a few weeks because I refused to serve in the military. I though I'd give my reasons, and maybe we can discuss them.

The reason I refused is not because I'm a pasifist. It's because I've identified the true enemy. The true enemy is fear. An enemy is merely the manifestation of your fears, and no matter how many enemies you strike down there will always be a new one, unless you defeat the fear in your heart.

I do not advocate pasifism, allthough I do advocate non-violence. Pasifism indicates a passive attitude, my attitude is active and engaging. By the time the foreign army is at your border the war is already lost. No one has ever won anything by sheer force of arms. So I refused to serve, not from pasifism, but because I am a warrior in the service of peace rather than turmoil.

I also wrote a song about it some time ago. Here's the corus:

We run until we reach the frontline
And we make killing our art
'Cause this war is an easier fight
Than the war in our hearts
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 678 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:29 am
thinking, will post later, glad to see you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
Re: pasifism
Cyracuz wrote:
Hello folks. I'm back.

I've just been in jail for a few weeks because I refused to serve in the military. I though I'd give my reasons, and maybe we can discuss them.

Cyracuz, why do they jail you in Norway for refusing to serve in the Norweigan military?

Norway's military:
http://www.travelblog.org/World/no-mil.html

BBB
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:57 am
Re: pasifism
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Hello folks. I'm back.

Cyracuz, why do they jail you in Norway for refusing to serve in the Norweigan military?

BBB

Well, I suppose it's because the Swedes or Finns prefer to jail their own folks... :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:01 pm
Welcome back, Cyracuz!

May I ask the same as BB? (As far as I know, Norway recognises conscientious objection since as early as 1900.)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:11 pm
Walter
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Welcome back, Cyracuz!

May I ask the same as BB? (As far as I know, Norway recognises conscientious objection since as early as 1900.)

That's what I was wondering about, too.

I've known many pacifists who serve as battleground medics instead of carrying a weapon.

BBB
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:40 pm
I think it was the Wobblies or at least a pacifist group around the time of WWI who declared that a bayonet is a weapon with a worker at both ends.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:00 pm
goodfielder wrote:
I think it was the Wobblies or at least a pacifist group around the time of WWI who declared that a bayonet is a weapon with a worker at both ends.

great quote Mr Fielder, btw my grandfather was a card carrying Wobblie.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:53 pm
Re: Walter
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I've known many pacifists who serve as battleground medics instead of carrying a weapon.

I used to write the 'legal defense' for quite a couple (when then was needed ages back here. Now you just sign a piece of paper and then work e.g. in hospitals, schools, kindergartens, community projects etc etc etc)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:07 pm
Is military service a mandatory for the citizens? Kinda like in some countries where you have to serve 2 years?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:14 pm
Norway has mandatory military service of 18 months (I belive it still is - here in Germany meanwhile ... 9 [?] month only) for men.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:53 am
dyslexia wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

great quote Mr Fielder, btw my grandfather was a card carrying Wobblie.

Good for him Dys - a man well ahead of his time indeed. One Big Union! Very Happy
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 03:26 am
Walter, the mandatory service-time is twelve months.

And yes, sometimes concientious objection is recognized, but not always. In my case I served the twelve months when I was younger, and now they wanted me in on a three week repetition, wich I refused since my views have changed over the years. Thus I am, by definition, a waring man, and subject to different laws. Butt I'll change that. I'll change the entire system if need be.

Btw, a friend of mine refused the military all together, he was never enlisted, and still he's been to jail for it two times already, and will likely be arrested again. Another friend was drafted, and he refused. He was never charged. So there really is no consitency to it.

I no longer believe that it is appropriate to "take arms against outrageous fortune, and by opposing end them". I don't think it can be done. On the other hand, I don't think it is neccesary to "suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune". There is no such thing as outrageous fortune. Only outrageous people, who see everything through their screen of outrageousness, as if it was a pair of glasses.

Had a little Hamlet fit there... Ops..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:29 am
Yup, you had a little Shakespeare in there. But the first quote should be "by taking arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them." The second part of the quote is correct. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:23 am
I helped two of my friends to get recognised after they did their active service: one was a volunteer, the other a conscript - one (the volunteer) 16 years after he left services, the other shortly afterwards.

Both were recognised: the first, while being on a reserve exercise, the second just before he had to go :wink:
0 Replies