Bachelors in Computer Engineer.. Worth it?

Ratboy

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:19 pm
I was told anything with tech is going to be worthless in 10 years, since everything will be over seas.

I don't want to get a degree in CpE and not being able to get a decent paying job.

What are your opinions? Is it worth it? What about a MIS, any opinions on it?

I'd appericate your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,925 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aeroz

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 12:54 am
I am having that fear as well. I want to do an EET degree at DeVry, but its a lot of money and might not be worth it due to outsourcing. Sad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:15 am
There will always be tech work in the US. But it will change.

In general, development is going to go overseas. Given iterative development (so there's a fairly tight leash on developers as something is expected every 2 - 6 weeks) and the universality of code, folks in India, Ireland, Israel, South Africa, Ukraine, etc. are just as good (usually) as folks in the US and are (usually) considerably cheaper.

In the US, though, the future will belong to the communicators. People who can handle face time. People who can write. People who can desktop publish. People who can go to meetings and not look or sound like fools. People who can do training. People who can make presentations. People who can do QA. If most of this sounds like the business side, you're right, it is mainly the business side, or at least it heavily leans that way. But chances are better for these areas to not be moved and, in fact, there may be some protectionism or law in this area. For example, if you work in Financial Services, and the company's stock is traded on the NYSE, there has to be an American office. It can be a small one, but it still has to exist. People have to be in that office. And those are not going to be coders. They are going to be folks who help with putting together sales, or who can survive an audit or who can talk to the press. Plus all of the people who support those folks.

Another thing. Outsourcing cannot and will not last forever. Two reasons for this. One, outsourcing is really only a fancy way of saying that development is being handled by the cheaper folks. But what if it's cheaper to do development at Research Triangle Park in North Carolina, rather than in, say, Morocco? Then the dev work will go to NC, of course. Two, a quality product has to be created and maintained, otherwise either the company will be sued or the customers will go elsewhere -- or both. If the Irish coding contingent stinks and everything they do has to be ripped up and redone by the coders in Austin, Texas, company management will very quickly realize that Ireland is no bargain for them and they will go straight to Austin. Some of that can be due to a lack of direct management and there are going to be some attempts to work with the overseas crowd by sending management there. And if it works, great. But if it doesn't, look for offshoring to turn into onshoring right quick.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:44 am
People who can make the network work.

People who can protect the network (firewall, intrusion prevention and detection, etc.)
0 Replies