Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
I'll be breaking in my A2k hat this afternoon on my mad weeding expedition. Now that I live in a cooler climate I don't wear a hat when I am gardening as often as I used to when I lived in Los Angeles. Today the sun is shining and it is actually warm here.

What do you usually wear when gardening?

I tend to wear old clothes that I still like that have suffered from "food drop" or "coffee splash" or some other malady. The key thing is not to wear my good shoes...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 06:43 pm
ossobuco--

People who garden in public on the 9th day of spring--in a planned wardrobe--are headed for one of the lower circles of hell--just above Satan and Judas.

Here on the perfectly normal eastern seaboard, snow is falling--and a foot of snow is forecast.

When I do garden, weather permitting, I wear old clothes, knee pads and when I remember, soap under my fingernails. I wear gloves--mostly...sometimes...when convenient--but dirt is dirt.

Springtime snow! Hah!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:06 pm
Jeeez! I don't wear anything, LOL. Only kidding. I have a pair of overalls that I have just for gardening which gives me that farmer look. If it's still chilly and I'm just getting my garden ready, I'll wear workboots, but other than that when it warms up I wear shorts and an old pair of moccasins I have.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:50 pm
Old clothes. Stuff I don't mind getting dirty. Sweats and sneakers in the spring. A scarf and gloves. Tshirts and soft longer pants in the summer. Can't wear shorts because the mosquitoes will eat your ass up down here. And Avon's Skin So Soft on all exposed areas of the body.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:01 pm
Soap under fingernails? Do tell.

I wear whatever. Most of my clothes are eminently washable and pretty comfortable. I did just buy some incredibly adorable gardening gloves for the sozlet at Target -- they have this new line of gardening stuff for kids by the guy who wrote the "Miss Spider" books and I have to say they're amazingly cool. Really well-designed and cheap. So she will be wearing those. I managed to exercise some restraint and did NOT get her the ladybug kneepads. Yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:15 pm
So I am going to hell, noddy? Oh good, it will be warmer....

I have a yard of let go weeds. Sigh.

That's what you get without the snow cover...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:21 pm
Ossobuco--

You can probably avoid the Official Infernal Regions if you start weeding (in your parka) with frantic abandon. Of course, if you don't weed and all the weed seeds sprout, you'll have a Hell On Earth.

Sozobe--

Soap under the fingernails keeps the dirt out. I've been told that a good hand lotion does the same thing--or at least makes the dirt easier to remove--but I'm a hidebound traditionalist.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Ah, I just get my hands dirty, and use a nail brush later. Unless I am pruning, etc, and then I wear heavy gloves.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
Depends on the weather (jeans and a tee - shorts and a tank). I tend to own and wear dark clothing, so I don't worry about ruining my everyday clothes gardening. I never use gloves. Even when I should - like while I was pruning that rose bush last weekend. I thought I'd noticed the lotion pre-gardening trick - glad to hear my suspiscions we confirmed. Thanks Noddy. I rarely wear hats even though I should for my skin. Usually I even forget to put my hair up before my hands get dirty.

Can't wait until it's full spring - we had snow here today.
0 Replies