"Not the bees!"

Reply Wed 17 May, 2023 10:09 am
What to do — and what not to do [if you're being attacked by a bunch of bees.
Quote:
Nieh has several pieces of advice for people under siege from bees. Run away as fast as you can. Don't cover your face, because you won't be able to see where you're going. And don't play dead, because bees are attracted to the alarm pheromone left by other bees' stingers and may continue to sting you anyway.

"You can actually outrun them — especially if you're motivated — when you're being stung," he said. "You cannot play dead and escape bees. That's actually the worst thing to do."

Bees are attracted to dark areas such as hair, Nieh said, which is why they'll sting you around your head and why beekeepers wear white suits and footwear.

He emphasized that the best way to get out of being attacked by a group of bees is to simply buzz off.

Source:
2 people were hurt in a California bee attack. Here's what to do if it happens to you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 635 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2023 12:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Bees in fact can be considered a dangerous (and perhaps lethal) weapon.
Beekeeper Charged With Sting Operation on Police #shorts
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2023 03:06 am
@tsarstepan,
I've had several run-ins with hornets this summer and luckily haven't gotten stung. Yet. Ground-nesting yellow jackets are a problem around here. I've found that once I locate the entrance hole to their nest I can take action. We have a lot of raccoons. Raccoons are attracted to sugar. So when it gets dark I sneak over to the nest and shove some marshmallows in the hole and leave one or two near the entrance. If the raccoons find the marshmallows, not only will they eat the marshmallows but they'll dig the nest up to get at the larvae. They just let the yellow jackets sting away as they feast on those delicious larvae. Sometimes the bait is missed by the raccoons but sooner or later, sugar-loving ants find it and begin to infest the nest. Since the hornets can't sting the ants, they eventually leave. Then I fill the hole with sand.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Not the bees!"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 06:20:37