LOL!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1530106
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:16 pm
Dys, you and I be the only beats left here, I gues, Bro. Remember when the place to be was North Beach, not Haight-Ashbury? When the West Village was 'The' Village; the hippies' East Villiage was just the Lower East Side? Ahh, man, those were the days.

I met Ginsburg once. He had come to a farewell party for a colleague of mine who was being sent to Saigon (I was working for a wire service then). Ginsburg had come straight from a taping of an interview which was about to be shown on the NY ETV channel (remember ETV? pre-PBS?) . He came into the party, shushed everybody, plunked himself down in front of the TV set and spent the next hour watching himself whle the rest of us went into the kitchen to continue getting drunk and/or high.

Incredibly narcissistic.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:04 pm
Yes, that seems to be the consensus about the guy.

Funny though, say what you like about Bukowski, but he was the only one who had the guts, albeit drunken guts, to tell Ginsberg he never wrote anything worth a **** after Howl.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:39 pm
Drunk Bukowski! "To all my friends" Drunk better then the beat writers
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:01 am
Prefered Gregory Corso to the always sloshed Bukowski. (and both of them over that howling loon Ginsberg.)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:31 am
I'm a lexicon devil with a
battered brain
And I'm lookin' for a future-
the world's my aim
So gimme gimme your hands-
gimme gimme your minds
Gimme gimme this-gimme
gimme tha-yea-yea-t...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:31 am
Who says 7:30 am is too early to listen to the Germs?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:49 am
Gargamel wrote:
Who says 7:30 am is too early to listen to the Germs?

I do, but that may be the grass talking.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
Yeah, not exactly wake and bake music. Hmmm. "Air" would be a good band for that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
For example, Patti Smith did sing some old standards from "The Who". Her version of "My generation"is on the CD version of her "Horses". It's very good, I prefer it to the original; but as much I hate to admit it, the rest of "Horses", which you would probably call 'a boring hippie album', has aged much better than her punky "my generation", which was not on the original LP and was added to the CD as an encore.

And now ...

A Rare Spirit, a Rarer Eye

Quote:
The wonder was that the patrons, silver haired and sleekly buffed, could pick her out at all. Ms. Smith was understated, even self-effacing in her mannish jacket, boater shirt and beat-up jeans. Watching her sip hot water and lemon, you could easily have mistaken her for one of any number of androgynous downtown hipsters adopting skinny jeans and boyfriend coats as a low-key urban armor.

Was she trying to merge with the scenery? Ms. Smith shrugged, noncommittal. “My style says ‘Look at me, don’t look at me,’ ” she said, a hint of testiness ruffling her easy composure. “It’s, ‘I don’t care what you think.’ ”

So it was surprising to learn that her roomy gray jacket, with cuffs that unfasten at the wrist, was designed by Ann Demeulemeester, a high priestess of Parisian vanguard chic. Her jeans were Ralph Lauren, prized by Ms. Smith for their racy lines. Her boots, a gift from Johnny Depp, who wore them as the Mad Hatter in “Alice in Wonderland,” were the perfect fit, Ms. Smith exulted, “like when the magic cobbler made your shoes.”

She has a rarefied feel for that kind of evocative detail " no stray seam escaping her scrutiny. [..]

Yet from time to time, a certain flintiness took over. “The thing I’ve always liked about performing,” she said, storm clouds gathering in her eyes, “is that I decide what I want to wear, whether I want to comb my hair. No one ever told me what to do, and no one tells me now.”

0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:11 pm
I'm going to queue up Horses and walk the dogs now.
Swimpy

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 08:00 pm
@Gargamel,
I just watched Patti Smith: Dream of Life a couple of weeks ago. She's an interesting character. Many contradictions, as nimh's article illustrates.
0 Replies

Anchovy Rancher

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 10:32 pm
@dyslexia,
Me too.

Now I live in Humboldt County, am stinking rich and drive a HUGE diesel 4x4 with I Hate Cops bumper stickers on it while blasting 2,000 watts of Reggae music and smoking a blunt. Not.

I grew up on the 2600 block of 46th Ave. and am pretty much the same guy I was in the 60's and 70's. Somewhere between a Hippie and a Punk. I can listen to Jello Biafra one song and the Grateful Dead the next. Weird, huh?
0 Replies

Anchovy Rancher

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 10:34 pm
@Amigo,
Los Microwaves.
roger

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 12:07 am
@Anchovy Rancher,
Welcome, Rancher. Love the screen name, by the way.
0 Replies

the native crow97

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 12:52 pm
@dyslexia,
Not a punk haha
0 Replies

the native crow97

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 12:55 pm
Hey guys where's punk nowadays huh? It seems like we are the forgotten society. We need to make a come back for punk sake
roger

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 02:32 pm
@the native crow97,
Let's hold a punk sale. That'll bring them out.
0 Replies