Trump Indictment Discussion and Health Spa

hightor

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2023 01:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Thanks to you...

Thanks to me?
Quote:
...from now on, members of the party out of power, whichever one it is, can expect to have people poring over their lives looking for a defect and to eventually go to jail.

You mean like "Whitewater"?
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 07:48 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Thanks to you...

Thanks to me?
Quote:
...from now on, members of the party out of power, whichever one it is, can expect to have people poring over their lives looking for a defect and to eventually go to jail.

You mean like "Whitewater"?

I don't know about the foundations of Whitewater, but I do know that the Republicans tried to impeach Clinton for reasons that didn't come close to warranting impeachment. To punish them, I voted straight Democrat across the board in the following election, even though I didn't really support those Democratic candidates. I sacrificed that election to punish the Republican party for misusing the system.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 07:52 am
@Brandon9000,
Sure you did.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 08:00 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
A core crime that the Manhattan District Attorney will likely include in an indictment of former President Donald Trump is “falsifying business records in the first degree,” a felony under New York State law (N.Y. Penal Code § 175.10). Prosecutors and indeed all of us are compelled by the rule of law to consider how such a charge compares to past prosecutions. Are like cases being treated alike?

Here it appears they are. Prosecution of falsifying business records in the first degree is commonplace and has been used by New York district attorneys’ offices to hold to account a breadth of criminal behavior from the more petty and simple to the more serious and highly organized. We reach this conclusion after surveying the past decade and a half of criminal cases across all the New York district attorneys’ offices.

The so called criminal act being alleged is that Trump declared the money used to make Stormy Daniels go away as a business expense. I don't know whether he did or not, but let's assume that he did. I'm sure that it's commonplace for businesses to declare money spent on reputation as business expenses. The worst that should have happened is for the IRS to tell Trump that they disagreed with the deduction and to ask him to pay with a penalty. The fact is that the Democrats have been trying strategy after strategy for years to put him in jail and have pursued similar campaigns against other prominent Republicans. They've been counting on the fact that Republicans won't respond in kind by poring over high ranking Democrats' lives looking for something that could be made to look criminal.

Here's what you've accomplished. After more or less stable government in the US for almost 250 years, from now on, the party out of power can expect the party in power to do whatever they have to do to throw the leaders of the party out of power in jail. By trying to pin whatever you can on political enemies who have done little or nothing, you've broken the system and reduced the US to the status of a banana republic. Congratulations.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 08:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Trump accomplished all that, a criminal demagogue who lied, cheated and broke numerous criminal laws for his own personal benefit.

From this side of the pond it's very clear he's a corrupt traitor in Putin's pocket.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 09:06 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Here's what you've accomplished.

And how exactly did I manifest this power?

After more or less stable government in the US for almost 250 years, from now on, the party out of power can refuse to accept the results of a fair election and claim the winner is "illegitimate". But I wouldn't think to blame that on you.

Quote:
They've been counting on the fact that Republicans won't respond in kind by poring over high ranking Democrats' lives looking for something that could be made to look criminal.

I don't find that very convincing.

Quote:
I don't know about the foundations of Whitewater...

My point was that the GOP wasted no time at all in opening an investigation of an old business deal, and when that didn't pan out shifted their focus onto Clinton's personal life. The power of the House to investigate is often used to achieve political ends.

Real Music

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 06:25 pm
Pence (Will Not) Appeal Ruling Ordering His Testimony in Trump Probe

Published April 5, 2023

Quote:
Former Vice President Mike Pence (will not) appeal a recent ruling compelling him to testify as part of a Justice Department probe into former President Donald Trump’s actions leading up to the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.

A federal judge ruled last month that Pence must comply with a grand jury subpoena issued by special counsel Jack Smith, who is heading the investigation.

Both Trump and Pence had sought to block the full enforcement of the subpoena, though they made two different legal arguments.

Trump’s team argued that executive privilege, which bars some presidential conversations from being made public, applied to Pence’s testimony. Pence, in contrast, argued that the Constitution’s “speech or debate” clause, which shields members of Congress from certain law enforcement actions connected to legislative duties, applies because Pence was acting as president of the Senate on Jan. 6 in order to certify President Joe Biden’s election.

James Boasberg, the chief judge for the U.S. District Court for the District, rejected wholesale Trump’s argument in his late-March ruling but handed Pence a partial victory. Though Pence would be compelled to testify, the ruling allows Pence to decline to answer questions related to his actions on Jan. 6 itself. But he will be required to answer questions about any potential illegal acts by Trump.

Pence adviser Devin O’Malley said in a statement Wednesday that Pence had “prevailed” in arguing to limit his testimony and that the judge’s ruling satisfied the legal objections Pence’s team had put forward.

“The court’s landmark and historic ruling affirmed for the first time in history that the speech or debate clause extends to the vice president of the United States,” O’Malley said.

“Having vindicated that principle of the Constitution, Vice President Pence will not appeal the judge’s ruling and will comply with the subpoena as required by law,” he said.

Pence last week declined to answer questions about if he would appeal the judge’s ruling, sidestepping the topic in an interview with CNN on Thursday.

It’s not clear if Trump himself will appeal the ruling.

Pence’s testimony would mark a significant and historic development in the probe, which would see a former vice president testify about the potential criminality of his ticket-mate’s actions.

Pence’s decision comes a day after Trump was indicted in New York in connection with a separate case involving his role in hush money payments made during the 2016 election.

It’s also the latest significant blow to Trump in the federal probes. An appeals court on Tuesday upheld an earlier ruling ordering former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows and other top White House aides to testify as part of the Jan. 6 investigation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pence-will-not-appeal-ruling-ordering-his-testimony-in-trump-probe/ar-AA19wgjy
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2023 06:35 pm
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 05:50 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Here's what you've accomplished.

And how exactly did I manifest this power?

Not you personally, I mean Democrats. You have now created a precedent that the party in power uses the tools of government to find a crime for its political enemies, as you have been trying over and over to do with Donald Trump.

hightor wrote:
After more or less stable government in the US for almost 250 years, from now on, the party out of power can refuse to accept the results of a fair election and claim the winner is "illegitimate". But I wouldn't think to blame that on you.

Ignoring the matter of whether questioning election results is legitimate, are you implying that this justifies repeatedly trying to find some crime to bring a political opponent down, including with charges which would normally be considered trivial, such as disagreement with a tax deduction?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 06:00 am
@Brandon9000,
Trump should not be allowed to rape women, indulge in high level corruption and betray his country to the Russians without consequences.

You were supposed to have done away with the divine right of kings yet you treat Trump as if he's the Messiah.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 06:22 am
@izzythepush,

here comes the sea-lioning...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 06:24 am
@Region Philbis,
The worst part is when he expects us to research something to prove his own points.

He wants everyone else to do everything for him.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 06:39 am
@izzythepush,

wait for it...

waaaaaaaaait forrrrrrrrrr it...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 06:43 am
@Region Philbis,
He'll declare he's won first.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 May, 2024 09:11 am
@jespah,
Surprised that this very appropriately timely thread has been left fallow since April 2023, given that it's literally about the ongoing trial.

Here's a very important update.
Live Updates:
Quote:
Trump Will Not Testify in His Criminal Trial as Defense Rests
The jury has been dismissed until closing arguments next Tuesday, but the court has more business to deal with this afternoon. Lawyers for Donald J. Trump called just two witnesses before wrapping up their case.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 May, 2024 09:15 am
@tsarstepan,
The defence rests.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 May, 2024 03:59 pm
I wish I had a bottle of cold champagne to open right now (at work)!
Trump trial updates: Trump is found guilty in historic New York criminal case
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 07:02 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2024 08:40 am
@tsarstepan,
Will Judge Cannon bungle her way into an appeal for the prosecution?
Quote:
If a court acquits the defendant, the prosecutor may not appeal the verdict. Appealing a verdict of “not guilty” would violate the Double Jeopardy Clause of the Fifth Amendment. Prosecutors may, however, appeal all pre-trial rulings and decisions regarding the admissibility of evidence at trial.

Source

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 09:16 am
@tsarstepan,

Ex-Trump Lawyer Raises Red Flag on Aileen Cannon: 'Partisan Prima Donna'