I went to a fortune teller the other day...

sakhi

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:51 pm
Like many other Indians, I had my horoscope written when I was born. No one in my family believed in horoscopes so my grandmother had stashed it away somewhere - I discovered it when I was about 16.

It said some nice things about me so I read on Wink…it said I have "no poison" in me (I'd like to believe that's true)…says I will always side with my father (always has turned out true, esp. when my parents broke up). And some other things that have turned out true about me. It says my "sister" will die when I'm 19, in a car accident. I don't have a sister but my closest friend died in a car accident when I was 19 

Then it mentions the name (lets say that name is xyz) of the man I will marry. (I made a mental note of it). When I got married, I thought "ha, see my horoscope was false. My husband's name is NOT xyz". At the wedding ceremony, in a ritual where we are given a "temporary" name, the priest asked my husband to choose a name from 3 choices. My husband chose xyz! Uncanny coincidence!
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:53 am
Re: I went to a fortune teller the other day...
Mills75 wrote:
...and found it very entertaining. My woman and I were in Michigan visiting her family this past week, and her mother arranged for us to visit a card reader who had impressed her. Let's face it, there's just not a week's worth of things to do and see in the Flint area so I was game.

I have a working knowledge of how a "cold read" works, but went with a more or less open mind; hell, if the card reader could tell me things about my life that were specific and known only to me, then I was prepared to accept the existence of something previously undiscovered by science.

The card reader, a Thailander in her mid-50s, used ordinary playing cards (the 3s, and 7s through aces) and dissociated herself from tarot cards and "psychics" saying that she was "a good Christian" and that she was working with God by reading cards. She didn't press me for much information nor did she frequently use the "cold read" tactic of general statements coupled with questions such as "does that mean anything to you?" (which has the effect of getting the rube to supply all the information that the fortune teller will restate as seemingly psychically derived information). I was very, very surprised by this fact; she just dealt the cards and told me what she saw with confidence. The way she dealt the cards in different configurations and poured over them like a biologist trying to classify a newly discovered organism was quite impressive.

Of course, almost everything she said was wrong. The only things she got right were that I have a significant other, I live with that significant other, and I will succeed no matter where I go and become very wealthy. :wink:

It was, however, an hour of live entertainment for only $20.

I'd like to see this thread become a forum for discussing amusing encounters with the faux supernatural. But if you've ever gone to a fortune teller/psychic and been impressed by his or her accuracy, let's discuss that, too.

Here's a spooky story. I went to a 'real' doctor some time ago. What he said was entertaining, but I also think that there should be laws to prevent scaremongering-
First of all he asked me what was 'wrong'. This is the first step. Everybody sits down with 'what is wrong'. I told him that I had pains in a part of my body. He carried out some tests and then said that it was a "neurosis" (apparantly, medicine thinks that there can be some sort of 'wrong' or disordered spirit or energy that inhabits brain matter - quite spooky really). This was funny, but I made sure that I did not laugh in case the doctor was offended. But if I was a sensitive person I could have quite easily been taken in. Later that year, I went to see a seer, and she told me some physical probs I had. I later attended to these and now I am fine.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:28 am
I made a tidy little sum in high school doing tarot cards in the cafeteria at lunch. People would always tell me how accurate I was, but actually I was just a good gossip and knew what everyone was up to.

When I was in college there was a guy who read palms in Washington Sq Park. I remember he charged $5 which was my daily living expenses at the time. After people kept telling me how good he was I finally gave in and had a reading. He was so on target it was scary. He told me things from the past, present and future. I would give him a 8.5 on a scale of 10 for accuracy. I took some notes at the time and what really blew me away was his telling me I would be involved with a new technology and finance. He said I would work at the the "number 2 building" in NY. "No way" I thought I'm on a scholarship to study art history and art conservation - I already had a job offer. It was 1982 and I had never touched a computer. In 1986 I joined a start up company that designed LAN systems mainly for financial institutions. Our first office was at #2 Broadway. A well known address to the Wall St. crowd.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:32 am
I went to a reading once in college and was told that there was another man coming into my life soon, and she gave me a month. And it wasn't until about a year later than I realized that was the exact month I met my husband. Weird.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:07 am
I am a pyschic junkie unfortunately, but I love provinf them wrong and then telling them how wrong they really are... I have been to so many now that I walk in with a straight face no jewelry on and I will only answer yes or no questions... BUT I have had 2 pyschic's that have been right on the money... One was especially creepy

It was actually the first one I had ever gone to, my mother took me when I was 16... I was really depressed and was suicidal at the time.... and the fortune teller took out her tarot cards and told me to shuffl, blah blah blah... and she just stopped and looked at me and said "I know you are going through a very hard time right now and I everything will be better when you are 25" And I said why 25 and she said that's what the cards said... and she said many other things too that hit the money... SO I went home that night and I asked my grandmother for a pad of paper, I was going to start a journal, so she gave me one from her top drawer and I watched her go through it to make sure it was empty.... So I get into my room and I open up the notebook and I come across a rough draft of my grandmothers will, just one page, and it is the page about me... yet I watched her go through the ENTIRE book.... So out of curiousity I only read the first line and it said "If I die before Christine is 25 years old please give her X amount of money on her 25th birthday" (it was a large amount of money).... and I stopped reading.... She is still alive and I would rather her be alive when I am 25 and not die... but It still scares me until this day because what if the fortune teller is right, do I know how long my grandmother has to live???

Also I went to a pyschic one time with my ex and she knew everything about me, EVERYTHING... She had me in tears by the time I had left.... but I am still waiting to find out if one last thing she said was true, everything else was, so all I can do is hope
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:47 pm
"I ran into the fortune teller
Who said beware the lightning that might strike."

Bob Dylan Idiot Wind.
0 Replies