Confessions of a middle aged tomboy.

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:15 pm
I wore my favorite pair of MJs into the ground last winter. They were letting snow in throught the soles when I finally tossed them.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:30 pm
daaaaammmmmnn, Now I' lost in zappos land.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:55 pm
It's kind of quicksandy.

My last purchase there btw -- maryjanes. (Kenneth Cole Reaction, very nice.) (The brand name mentioning isn't getting me any tomboy points, is it...?)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:59 pm
Quote:
(The brand name mentioning isn't getting me any tomboy points, is it...?)

(no, but that muscular bicep u keep flexing sure is...)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:02 pm
No points, but I'm off to zappos.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:07 pm
Freeduck! Don't do it!
......Freeduck.....?
..........I think we lost her.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:12 pm
<takes off red bandanna, holds to chest, looks down sadly for a moment...>

Hey RP, wanna armwrestle?
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:14 pm
oooh, that reminds me. At my strongest point as an adult I was at a party smoking hand rolled cigaretts, tripping on acid, and drinking copious amounts of beer when I challenged a construction worker to an arm wrestling match. He hurt me. My right shoulder has never been the same.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:27 pm
Red... suede... drool
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:28 pm
heeheehee
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
(Littlek, make sure you DON'T mention they have kids' shoes, too.) (Oops.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:59 pm
My husband's trying to disconnect the cable modem...
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:20 pm
Oh dear.
0 Replies

mac11

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:21 pm
My, boomer's tomboy thread has taken quite a turn. I am fascinated with the range of behavior you've been discussing and where society draws the line between normal and weird.

I was a fairly girly girl, but I think I grew up to be a low maintenance woman. As I'm 46 and have never been married, I'm sure lots of folks wonder about my sexual preference. I figure it's none of their damn business and let them wonder. Unless I'd like to make that information their business of course...

Comfort is key. I won't wear shoes that hurt or clothes that require special attention to how I sit. I've gone thru phases of wearing skirts and earrings. Haven't worn either in several years, but I'd consider them again. Dangle earrings are kind of fun. Oh, and I have always had wash-and-wear hair. My sister has the same hair, and she blows it dry then uses hot rollers or a curling iron and then hairspray. I can't imagine doing all that.

I'm now working in an office where most of the women wear skirts, heels, hose. Even on blue-jean Fridays, they're dressed up. I'm trying not to stand out too much, but I'm sticking to flats and pants. I've been wearing sandals all summer to work, and I recently took the (HUGE) step of painting my toenails for the first time in my life. Also bought a couple of pairs of sandals that aren't brown or black! Very Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:02 am
sozobe wrote:
<takes off red bandanna, holds to chest, looks down sadly for a moment...>

Hey RP, wanna armwrestle?

you're on -- anytime, anywhere Mr. Green

but i must warn u.

when i was 10 i beat my burly homeroom teacher in arm-rasslin'.

(no, he didn't "let" me win, either -- i beat him hand down...)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:31 am
Yeah, but you're a grown up now and tickling your opponent won't work anymore.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:36 am
Embarrassed
Laughing

i'll beat any of yooze tomboys in an arm-rasslin' match -- and i'll do it w/o wrenching anybody's shoulder...
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:35 am
mac11, being a low maintence woman in Texas certainly does invite a lot of specualtion regarding one's sexual prefrence. Been there - done that.

I still get back to Texas once in a while where my two beautiful and girlish sisters live. I get a lot of "Are you gonna wear THAT?" when I visit.

I think the speculation thing and the "So what/none of your business" attitude interesting.

When I worked at the Sorority Party and started hearing rumors that I was gay I didn't do anything to set anyone straight which, of course, established the "fact" that I was.

Eventually they learned that I was married so attention turned to the fact that I didn't have kids which, of course, meant that I was infertile.

One day I was late to work. The reason: I had to rush my dog to the vet because she had eaten my birth control pills. It was only when my hilarious story was met with dumbfounded silence that I realized what was going on.

After that -- I was just a freak.

Making decisions outside what is expected is tough. In the South I think it is tougher. I know that when I visit my family that I have to kick my maintence level up a notch just for the sake of sanity.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:39 am
That's an interesting point about the south, boomerang. I'll bet that has a lot to do with feeling "alien". Soz, you weren't raised in the south, were you?
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:03 am
True, nope, I wasn't. Minneapolis, which is full of Swedes and Norwegians who are vaguely suspicious of makeup or otherwise "putting on airs."
0 Replies