Confessions of a middle aged tomboy.

littlek

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:45 pm
heeheehee, j'adore my rubber soled flipflops (with sculpted footbed - supports the arch). When not in those I have flat flips with a split bamboo foot bed or sculpted Keen slip ons.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:55 pm
Oh my!

I had the world's best sandals in high school. They were, like, cited in yearbook inscriptions ("to the girl with the sandals..."). I got them at Pier One when they had their brief fling with clothing ("Passports," or something). They were made in India, and were very simple. A flat rubber sole, leather insole, and six little tabs with a slit in them, maybe 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. Three on one side of your foot, (pretty much top half), three on the other. Through the slits, criss-crossing, was threaded some LOOOOOOOOOONG leather laces. Those were then wrapped many many times around the ankle, or else up the leg to the knee or so. I did both.

When I bought them (I eventually bought maybe 3-4 pairs, $10/ each), they were light tan and unyielding. It would take them about a month to break in, and from about 4 months until they disintegrated (1-2 years) they were perfect. They'd darken and mold to my foot/ ankle. I could sprint in them, I could go to reggae concerts in them, I could work at the zoo in them. I wore them all the damn time.

So, by the sheer volume of writing about that one pair of shoes, I have pegged myself as pure girl when it comes to fashion. Sigh.

At least I could sprint in them!!

I have been looking for shoes that cool since, closest I've gotten is a pair of Timberlands that are strappy and cushy adn totally, totally comfortable... well, were, they disintegrated too. Sigh. Now I wear some black Simple sandals, strappy, comfy, but the sole is too brickish.

Hmm, but maybe the fact that I typically buy a pair of sandals and wear 'em to death (4 years for Timberlands, coming up on 4 for these) mitigates the girliness somewhat...
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:08 pm
Ummmmmhummmmm........

<stroking my little Freud beard (IMAGINARY beard, I am a girl fercryingoutloud, I don't have a beard) while I wait for a bit more theory testing data...>
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:14 pm
I have been looking into girlie sandals. My niece says I should wear dresses when I go out on dates. I have some dresses, but no shoes to go with them (besides the rubber flip-flop thongs. So.... Maybe the thongs with the littl teeny tiny heels (kitten heels?)? Fjick if I know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:19 pm
I have to go back a bit, in that I mentioned something about femme several pages back, and then a couple of nights ago I read a theater review in the NYer and found that femme is oft understood as an apposite to butch... which was not what I meant.

We haven't talked about butch or fear of butch here on this thread.

And I know we have some sanguine butch and femme (now that I get the word) members -

Huh.

Well, I'm not butch, but admit to fractions of moments over decades in fear of being taken for such, but then I've not connected with butch, or - what I just suddenly hear as the word 'femme'.

But, never mind, lesbians who are on the femme side are probably always dealing with the equivalent...

I wonder, have we welcomed lesbians enough here to be out and about?
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:23 pm
I think I must have girlie tendencies or something. I love shoes, I buy shoes, I DON'T wear shoes. At least not most of them. I have one pair of tennies for work and a favorite pair of sandals for around the house ($2 soccer slides from WalMart) and a pair of sandals for leaving the house. The rest sit in the closet and I look at them lovingly once in a while but that's all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:24 pm
I canna' help you with shoes, lilK. I have one comfy pair of black suedy sandals with small heels for occasional gallery wear. Very occasional. Shall I toss them?

I do so love whatever they call the shoes you stick your foot in and flop around. Or else, running shoes, or... Danskos.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:26 pm
Osso, I've never been mistaken for a butch lesbian, but I have been hit on by lesbians. That's not a problem, the problem is that I sometimes think that guys I might be attracted to think I am a lesbian.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:34 pm
Yes, lilK, I assume some think so, or use it. I did have it used, heh, in Mexico, another story...
as that tends to be a line when you travel with girls or women.

Still, I think we don't have lesbians and gays post all so forthrightly here. I think it takes a certain bravado. It should be less than bravado to post here, just more of the general tangle.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
My view of sandals seems kind of like bodhi's - I see them and admire them but as sculpture, not as something to put on my feet. I'm honestly baffled by a lot of sandals I see.

As far as I know I've only been misidentified as a lesbian once and that is when I worked in an office of superfemme girls - I called it the sSorority Party. These girls were all very Stepford Wifey towards the men who worked there and to the male clients of the business. I wasn't therefore I must be a lesbian.

I remember seeing a commedianne once who told about a guy trying to pick her up asking "So what are you? A lesbian?" to which she replied "So what are you? The alternative?"

That sums up my feelings about the Sorority Party pretty well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:05 am
Tee hee. I'm wearing some brown leather sandals right now at work. Mostly, I don't like to wear shoes, but I do love flip flops. I can't wear flip flops to work, so I have a pair of respectable looking slip-on brown sandals on. They have a rather flat sole with 1/4 inch heal differential. My toenails are not painted but they are clean, for once.

I haven't been mistaken for a lesbian, yet, to my face. But I have gotten comments about my, ahem, unusualness. Also, I can't dress. When I started working again, I ordered 5 of the same style corduroys from Old Navy in different colors, and 10 t-shirts in all different colors(they were 2 for 14 at the time). It made getting ready for work a cinch. When I look back, my lack of style has been obvious from the time I was 4 years old and wore a blue dress with mismatched tube socks (one with black stripes, one with red, different lengths) and mary janes to school.

I still love mary janes, speaking of shoes.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 05:10 pm
The mary jane style is the one I have lots of - with variations.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 05:25 pm
Me too!

Boomer's experiment is yielding interesting results. Where do maryjanes fit into it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:30 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
When I started working again, I ordered 5 of the same style corduroys from Old Navy in different colors, and 10 t-shirts in all different colors(they were 2 for 14 at the time).

Oh my.

That is exactly how I shop.

I have another confession to make -- I'm not sure what a "Mary Jane" looks like.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:43 pm
Osso's Mary Jane Theory is that they stay on your feet easily, with less shin action than shoes without cross straps - hmmm, trying to remember the muscles in the lower leg. Thus you can move with less effort, perhaps even run across the street in mary jane heels...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:51 pm
Boomer, you'd know mary janes if you saw them. They are basically those little black sort of dressy round-toed shoes with a strap across top of your foot, or any variation on them. Like these http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5008569%7EKids%7CGirls&sc=KIDS&variant_id=54723 .

I once found a pair I loved so much that I bought 6 pairs of them. I worked in a bar at the time and they were the perfect work shoes, with a 1 1/2 inch platform foam sole. They were plain black and so comfortable but very cute. I wore them until they were shredded then got another pair from the closet. They don't make them anymore, sadly, and I ran out of them 10 years ago. If I ever see them again...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:52 pm
And I agree with Osso's Mary Jane Theory.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:56 pm
http://www.lafairchild.com/new/images/shop/shoes/51b_big.gif

http://www.rivithead.com/images/product_medium/MJ119-BRFLE.jpg

http://i.shoebuy.com/pi/prope/prope34529_27189_lg.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:04 pm
I always think of Mary Janes as Chinese slippers for grown-ups.

Love 'em.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:04 pm
I have got to have those flaming Mary Janes!
0 Replies