Time to go after Randy Moss again

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:42 am
Moss can't pass on grass
Admits marijuana use

BY BOB RAISSMAN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

New Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss tells Bryant Gumbel of HBO's Real Sports that he has used marijuana.

Terrell Owens may not be the only NFL star wide receiver dealing with summer problems.

In an interview scheduled to air Tuesday on HBO's "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel," Randy Moss, the former Vikings and now Raiders wideout, strongly implies he still smokes marijuana, a drug prohibited by the NFL.

After Moss says he has used marijuana since entering the NFL, but has not let it "take control over me," Gumbel asks him if he smoked pot during the offseason.

"I might. I might have fun," Moss says with a sheepish grin on his face. "And, you know - and hopefully that I won't get into any trouble by the NFL by saying that, you know, I have had fun throughout my years and, you know, predominantly in the offseason.

"But, you know, I don't want any kids, you know, watching this taking a lesson from me as far as, 'Well, Randy Moss used it. So, I'm going to use it.' . . . Like I say, that - that I have used - and in the past. And every blue moon or every once in a while I might."

Moss addressed the interview last night after practice in Houston, saying his statements were about the past. He didn't answer questions.

"A lot of people are jumping to conclusions because they really don't know the real story or haven't even heard the real story yet," he said. "That was really me talking in the past tense of way back in the beginning of my career and my childhood - especially in high school and college."

The NFL prohibits players from smoking marijuana. According to the league's drug policy, a player can enter the NFL drug program if he reveals a variety of specific symptoms of drug or alcohol abuse.

During the wide-ranging interview, Moss tries making the point that he does not "abuse" marijuana or alcohol, but is prone to experimenting with the two drugs.

"I have - I have used - you know, marijuana and, you know, since I've been in the league," Moss said. "But as far as abusing it and, you know, letting it take control over me, I - I don't do that, no."

In 2002, Moss found himself in trouble after trying to run down a Minneapolis traffic cop with his car. Police searched Moss' auto car and found a small amount of marijuana.

Now whattaya wanna bet that a lot of people make this into a big f*cking deal. I have already seen the idiots on ESPN just chattering on about it like a bunch of gossipy ladies in the hair salon. This is cause for a big debate? WTF is wrong with these people? Leave the guy alone!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,693 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
I don't know T.O. very well.

I cannot STAND Randy Moss, though.

I don't give two sh!ts about his marijuana use, but he's a total asshole. Haven't been able to stand him since he dragged his girlfriend down the stairs by her hair in college.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:46 am
Moss does such a good job making an ass of himself, all we need to do is stand there, point and laugh at him.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:26 am
Okay, okay, maybe he is something of a jerk, but this hypocritical bullshit with the pot is ridiculous. It obviously hasn't hurt his playing, so why get on the guy over something that at one point or another, a LOT of people try.

I'm so sick of this phony self-righteous bullshit, especially when it comes to stupid stuff like pot, or gambling, or prostitution.

Pot didn't hinder his play, so the only way anyone can possibly attack him over this is on the basis that it's "wrong." That is soooo f*cking ridiculous to me. It's wrong, you say? Okay, lemme ask you then, WHY is it wrong?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
kicky, the only reason i see an issue with it is because it is illegal (now whether or not it should be illegal is a whole other thread). when i was a competitive swimmer at UTexas (coincidently Ricky-known for his great pot use- was a freshman when i was a sophomore) we were tested often. if marijuana was present, we were reprimanded depending on if this was a first offense or what not. how it enhances anyone's performance i don't think is the point, i think it was more that it was in fact illegal.

just like cocaine, if we tested positive for that we were also reprimanded accordingly-how it enhances performance, no clue.

also similarly, one of the football players got charged with dui, he got reprimanded as well.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:58 am
funny, after you pee in a cup while someone's watching you, you have to split it into two samples, one that gets tested for illegal drugs, one for performance enhancing drugs.

kinda stunk ya know, went to college, couldn't "experiment" with drugs. man i got robbed Wink
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:12 pm
they won't leave him alone bcos he has a history of doing the wrong thing.
here's one glaring example...
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:22 am
sozobe wrote:
I don't know T.O. very well.

I cannot STAND Randy Moss, though.

I don't give two sh!ts about his marijuana use, but he's a total ****. Haven't been able to stand him since he dragged his girlfriend down the stairs by her hair in college.

Sozobe, I am not sure that was Randy Moss.

I don't remember the name of the football player who did that, but he was a running back, not a receiver. That dragging the girlfriened by the hair bit was not the only thing he had done, either. This running back was super-highly rated on talent, but his behavior was so bad that several teams passed on him.

I think he finally got drafted by the St. Louis Rams, didn't work out, went to the European league, did great, was given another chance in the NFL, and didn't make it.

But it was not Randy Moss.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:25 am
well randy is now on my nfl team. i sure hope his talent is really there, lord knows my raiders could use some kinda help. after getting crushed by tampa bay, we haven't been the same. and our first regular season game this year is against new england i think. ohhh the flashbacks, snow, tom brady fumble, bad call (well right call, bad rule)...where am i????
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:37 am
I'm looking for something more definitive, but here's one cite:

http://www.holecity.com/asp/frontpage.asp?issue=157

Not at all impossible that more than one NFL player did something like that.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:41 am
hmm what a nice guy. soz, i think that might merit a sozlet visit to randy moss...Wink

good god, what kinda freaking i am god jack a$$ is he? no wonder he got picked up by the raiders, we only get really old guys who are used to playing in leather helmets or complete derelicts...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:42 am
Hmm, nothing here, though, and could be that the above article is an amalgam of various types of bad behavior. According to this, Moss has only 4 kids, not 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Moss

I remembered something vague about an abuse situation in college and looked it up in a previous discussion about Moss, and the dragging down the stairs by the hair thing is what I found (in several places).

If it's not true, good. Still don't like him one bit.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:16 am
Sozobe's article wrote:
He dragged his girlfriend at the University of Nebraska by her hair down a flight of stairs, got thrown out of football by the Rams...

Yes, that is an amalgam, where bits and pieces of nasty things other players have done were pasted together to and presented as Randy Moss' doing, in order to make a point about Randy Moss' public image.

Randy Moss did not go the University of Nebraska, he went to Marshall University where he enjoyed great success catching passes from Now-Jets quarterback Chad Pennington. Some years into his Vikings carrer, he called Pennington the best quarterback he ever played with-something which did not go well with his Minnesota pro quarterbacks.

Lawrence Phillips was the University of Nebraska player who did those things. Here is an article chronicling it, as well as Phillips' present shenanigans. Some things don't change.

Quote:
Phillips has used up his last chance
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:23 am
Meanwhile, this may be what I was originally thinking of:

Quote:
That year, he got into an argument and shoving match with Libby Offutt, his girlfriend and now mother of his two children. The two were charged with domestic battery, with the charges later dropped.

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Moss_Randy.html
0 Replies