Alex Baldwin

gollum

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2023 02:02 pm
Could the Santa Fe District Attorney agree to remove all the charges against Alex Baldwin?

In return, Baldwin would forfeit his net worth to Santa Fe county and his future income over the poverty rate.

Baldwin would devote himself to public service for the rest of his life.

My plan would 1) save the taxpayer the cost of Baldwin's imprisonment, 2) enrich the taxpayer with Baldwin's property and income, and 3) influence people to be careful with guns so as to not descend into poverty.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2023 02:24 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Could the Santa Fe District Attorney agree to remove all the charges against Alex Baldwin?

Yes. But what you're suggesting? That's called a damn plea deal. Not a removal of the charges. Baldwin still will have to plead guilty to said charges before these conditions are in place.

Quote:
In return, Baldwin would forfeit his net worth to Santa Fe county and his future income over the poverty rate.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Baldwin would devote himself to public service for the rest of his life.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
My plan would 1) save the taxpayer the cost of Baldwin's imprisonment, 2) enrich the taxpayer with Baldwin's property and income, and 3) influence people to be careful with guns so as to not descend into poverty.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing WHAT?! In what superinsane and criminally naive world do you live in? I'm sure the Vegas odds that Alec Baldwin is going to get any jail time. And with the two charges against him at a maximum of 18 months each? You expect Alec Baldwin to give up his net worth of $70+MM and his potential to earn tens of millions more to avoid 3 years in prison? Which I already said, he'll likely won't even have to do?

There's no incentive for him to give away all of his money to the state. I'm sure the victim's family would like to sue him in civil court. If he has no money? They won't get anything.

I'm certain his family wouldn't like getting all of their future inheritance taken away from them.
engineer

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2023 02:42 pm
@gollum,
Why would Baldwin agree to a conviction and sentence completely out of line with what he is accused of? I'm not even sure if Baldwin is in any way responsible for the death on set. When Brandon Lee was killed on set in similar circumstances, no criminal charges were filed. Corporate law in the US generally shields employees doing their jobs and liability falls to the corporation and the corporation in this case has already reached a settlement with the victim's husband. To convict Baldwin, the DA would have to show that Baldwin was either directly responsible for the safety on set or negligent in doing his job as an actor or director. I doubt either will happen. The DA is pretty shaky legal ground.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2023 03:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Channeling Clarifying post for typo.
tsarstepan wrote:

I'm sure the Vegas odds that Alec Baldwin is going to get any jail time.

I'm sure the Vegas odds that Alec Baldwin ISN'T going to get any jail time.
gollum

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2023 04:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
I did not mean that my proposal is likely to occur, only that I thought it is in the interest of Tennessean and American society.

Perhaps not all of his net worth but a piece of it.

Admittedly his family would not like my idea. But they don't get a vote. Alex is facing possible prison while his family is not.
engineer

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2023 07:31 am
@gollum,
I don't think it is in the interest of society to allow the wealthy to buy themselves out of culpability. If Baldwin is indeed responsible, I think it is in the interest of society to convict him and have him serve the same sentence anyone else would.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2023 07:42 am
@gollum,
Have you thought of writing policy for the Republic Party?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2023 09:46 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Admittedly his family would not like my idea. But they don't get a vote. Alex is facing possible prison while his family is not.

Worst case scenario for Alec Baldwin? Less than 3 years in (he ain't going to maximum security prison. He's a nonviolent millionaire) in the cushiest of minimal security lockups? Your idea makes ZERO sense for any party involved.
gollum

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2023 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush-

I guess you mean the Republican Party.

No, I had not thought of it.

That said, the present-day Republican Party is, to a great degree, is the party of Trump. I think that Donald Trump was not fit to be president. However, I agreed with a few of his positions.

I thought that the old Republican Party had good positions some of the time.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2023 05:15 pm
@gollum,
According to you "I thought that the old Republican Party had good positions some of the time."

That's true, too bad all the decent republicans who loved democracy have been tossed out. Maybe if they ever start teaching "Ancient American History" children will learn about the time we actually had two parties.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 02:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not a day in jail.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 09:18 pm
@gollum,
Are you hoping to do away with courts?
0 Replies