Ted Kaczynski

gollum

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 12:55 pm
The Unabomber was locked up for life.

That said, I understand that he is proselytizing large numbers of people from his jail cell.

What is the point of allowing him to continue to harm society?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:27 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

The Unabomber was locked up for life.

That said, I understand that he is proselytizing large numbers of people from his jail cell.

What is the point of allowing him to continue to harm society?

Have you ever heard of the first amendment? I think you already have.
gollum

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepin-

Thank you.

Yes I have.

That said I thought that the 1st Amendment (like most things, has limits:

Advocating the forcible overthrow of the government is prohibited (Smith Act);

The government can punish inflammatory speech if it is directed to incite imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

I thought that Mr. Kaczynski before he was locked up sent bombs to maim and kill American citizens.

I thought that now he advocates similar things to people outside of the prison, though he is probably more careful now (I'm not sure).

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 02:15 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
I understand that he is proselytizing large numbers of people from his jail cell.

Do you have any links to this?
gollum

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 02:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue-

Thank you.

wikipedia.org has the limitations to the 1st Amendment within its First Amendment article.

The current article of New York Magazine reports on Mr. Kaczynski's current activities.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 03:01 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
...current article of New York Magazine reports on...

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/the-unabomber-ted-kaczynski-new-generation-of-acolytes.html

From what I can tell having read the article, the matter may have to do with, in part, a number of these offshoots appear to be located outside the U.S. and their intent seems to be aimed more at other nations.

Apart from this, Kaczynski has the right to speak, it would fall first upon prison officials to determine whether sanctioning against him (Kaczynski) should be brought.

Keep in mind, as long as the information about Kaczynski and his words are available for public access through the internet and elsewhere, people who want to follow him and/or his ideas and actions will do so. The government as of yet has not seen fit to close it down.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 05:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Thank you for looking up the article, Sturgis.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 06:46 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/the-unabomber-ted-kaczynski-new-generation-of-acolytes.html

From what I can tell having read the article, the matter may have to do with, in part, a number of these offshoots appear to be located outside the U.S. and their intent seems to be aimed more at other nations.

Apart from this, Kaczynski has the right to speak, it would fall first upon prison officials to determine whether sanctioning against him (Kaczynski) should be brought.

Keep in mind, as long as the information about Kaczynski and his words are available for public access through the internet and elsewhere, people who want to follow him and/or his ideas and actions will do so. The government as of yet has not seen fit to close it down.

LOL have anyone of you had read any of Kaczynski writings?

He is hardly a danger of collecting a large following at least in my opinion.

The words that seems to fit the man is a complete social misfit.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 07:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Well crap. That was disturbingly fascinating. A lot more followers than I'd expected. A few a2k posters would fit right in.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:44 am
@ehBeth,
It reminds me of the high numbers of people who decide they are going to marry people who are serving a life sentence with no possibility of parole. There are followers for people no matter how dangerous or seemingly unhinged they may be.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 07:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Sturgis wrote:

Quote:

LOL have anyone of you had read any of Kaczynski writings?

He is hardly a danger of collecting a large following at least in my opinion.

The words that seems to fit the man is a complete social misfit.

Thank you Bill. His rants/ramblings can hardly be classified as charismatic or alluring to any sizable audience. These outliers that start fetishizing him are anomalies at best.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:01 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
His rants/ramblings can hardly be classified as charismatic or alluring to any sizable audience.

did you read the full article?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:03 am
@Sturgis,
One of the pieces that concerned me was the coverage he got from Fox. I wasn't expecting to read that there were multiple groups of hundreds of thousands of people following his writings. I also hadn't been aware of some of the details of his background - interesting and disturbing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:04 am
@ehBeth,
I skimmed it. Didn't see any mention that indicated a group that could fill in a group beyond a semifailure of a book club as worshipping Kaczynski. A few damaged and mentally ill followers does not make a religion, let alone a movement to immediately start worrying about.

I'll read it slowly again (though I find it difficult to read long articles on my computer screen).
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Really read it. I even managed to get through it on the tablet - annoying as all get out but worth it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:15 am
Quote:
more and more people have been having Kaczynski Moments. Books and webzines with names like Against Civilization, FeralCulture, Unsettling America, and the Ludd-Kaczynski Institute of Technology have been spreading versions of his message across social-media forums from Reddit to Facebook for at least a decade, some attracting more than 100,000 followers.

Quote:
In the larger world, where no respectable person would praise Kaczynski without denouncing his crimes, little Kaczynski Moments have been popping up in the most unexpected places — the Fox News website, for example, which ran a piece by Keith Ablow called “Was the Unabomber Correct?” in 2013. After summarizing some of Kaczynski’s dark predictions about the steady erosion of individual autonomy in a world where the tools and systems that create prosperity are too complex for any normal person to understand, Ablow — Fox’s “expert on psychiatry” — came to the conclusion that Kaczynski was “precisely correct in many of his ideas” and even something of a prophet. “Watching the development of Facebook heighten the narcissism of tens of millions of people, turning them into mini reality-TV versions of themselves,” he wrote. “I would bet he knows, with even more certainty, that he was onto something.”

Quote:
An eight-part docudrama called Manhunt: The Unabomber was a hit when it premiered on the Discovery Channel in 2017 and a “super hit” when Netflix rereleased it last summer, says Elliott Halpern, the producer Netflix commissioned to make another film focusing on Kaczynski’s “ideas and legacy.” “Obviously,” Halpern says, “he predicted a lot of stuff.”

And wouldn’t you know it, Kaczynski’s papers have become one of the most popular attractions at the University of Michigan’s Labadie Collection, an archive of original documents from movements of “social unrest.” Kaczynski’s archivist, Julie Herrada, couldn’t say much about the people who visit — the archive has a policy against characterizing its clientele — but she did offer a word in their defense. “Nobody seems crazy.”

a few moments of wtf while reading

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:28 am
There are plenty of gloom and doom prophets out there. I see no reason to attempt to silence Kaczynski because of his opinions. If he is inciting violence, that is another situation, but just expounding on why he thinks technology is bad just makes him another guy on the Internet. If all the other prisoners in his position are allowed Internet access, taking his away because the government does not like his opinions is a clear first amendment issue.
gollum

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 05:57 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

I did not know that prisoners are allowed Internet access. I am not denying it. I am concerned about it.
0 Replies