Ocean Burial

gollum

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 09:59 am
May a person order that upon his death that his body be dropped into the ocean? I live in New York State.

View best answer, chosen by gollum
Mame

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 10:09 am
@gollum,
A person can order whatever they want but I don't think it's legal to dispose of bodies into the water. That's littering.
jcboy

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 10:13 am
@Mame,
Right, maybe cremated remains but a body? I don't want to be eaten by fish Razz
Mame

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 11:03 am
@jcboy,
You wouldn't be aware of it Smile Is that worse than being eaten by insects? I'm definitely being cremated. Someone has to pick up the ashes as they're not allowed to dispose of them. Our crematorium will keep them up to five years.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 11:29 am
Osama bin Laden was buried at sea.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 11:48 am
@InfraBlue,
Historical examples are the burials at sea of Sir Francis Drake and James Cook.
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 11:52 am
@gollum,
In international waters, there are pretty much no laws, so yes, you could ask someone to take your body out into international waters and drop it into the ocean.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 12:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In Germany there are some regulations for the urn and special "places" in coastal waters where burial at sea is allowed.
The seabed is always "rough ground", i.e. no fishing, roadstead or anchorage.

https://i.imgur.com/G0IpELPl.jpg
It's marked on charts (here: Baltic Sea, east-north-east of Kiel)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 12:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Nelson famously wasn't, his body was pickled in spirits, rum or brandy.

This story is told by attendant sailors at HMS Victory, who then go on to tell you, with obvious relish, that once Nelson's body was removed from the barrel, the sailors then drank every drop of the spirits as a mark of respect.

Yeah, it makes me feel sick as well.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 01:34 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

May a person order that upon his death that his body be dropped into the ocean? I live in New York State.

Google is your friend.
Quote:
I do not wish to be cremated. Can I still be buried at sea?
Burial at sea of human remains that are not cremated can be accomplished, but it is often a lengthy and expensive process. Regulations require burials of this nature to be made at a specific depth in the sea. In many locations, a long journey is required to satisfy this requirement. This ocean voyage often requires a larger vessel, and may be uncomfortable for those who are less experienced at sea travel. The casket must be specially prepared to insure that it quickly descends to the ocean floor and remains there. It must also be secured according to strict regulations. Sea Services can coordinate this type of traditional service with your funeral director. You or your funeral director are welcome to contact us for more information

Source
gollum

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 02:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan-

It speaks of regulations. By whose authority?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 02:16 pm
@gollum,
Why does that matter to you? Call them. Do your research yourself rather than outsource your research with free labor.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 02:20 pm
@gollum,
EPA
0 Replies

Wojciechdziekan

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2023 08:42 am
@gollum,
Unfortunately but I think it is impossible....
0 Replies