When do you put up Christmas lights?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 08:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The Solstice is celebrated at Henge every year.

Scholars reckon it was the winter, not the summer solstice that was celebrated.

You have to give it to Oralloy for hearing about the solstice, maybe it's his word of the month.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
He's not dumb. Just sorely under educated.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 09:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My education is just fine. And it is superior to that of most progressives.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Your all encompassing ignorance is a matter of public record.
You just stick to the seven things you know and leave it at that.

Everyone is ignorant of most things. No one can ever know everything.

You are ignorant of far more things than most people are.

I am ignorant of far fewer things than most people are.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 09:41 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

My education is just fine. And it is superior to that of most progressives.

For the way you use it, maybe. Highly doubtful, progressives as a group are an educated bunch.

Smart isn't enough. It's a starting point and maybe a cap. But it just isn't enough.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 10:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Highly doubtful, progressives as a group are an educated bunch.

Not really. Progressives are a vicious bunch, but they don't tend to know very much. When they get their way, they do so with thuggery.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Smart isn't enough. It's a starting point and maybe a cap. But it just isn't enough.

That depends on the degree of smartness. Cool
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2022 12:01 pm
I decorated yesterday, for what it's worth.

I meant to do it December 1st, but time got away from me.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 08:11 am
@oralloy,
I'm still waiting for the family up the street puts theirs out. So I can steal them. Remember how cheap strings of light used to be?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 08:45 am
When should you put up Christmas lights? On Christmas, as the name indicates.
The preparation season for Christmas is Advent, we've got an Advent wreath with candles during that period.

In the case of commercial Christmas lighting (for a few years now also if someone thinks they have to decorate their house) the following generally applies: : the Sunday of the dead is the last Sunday before the first Advent and is dedicated to the memory of the deceased. The Christmas lights are not put up until this day has passed.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Is this a Roman Catholic consideration or a Lutheran?

I haven't paid attention to the calendar in years and had to look up "Sunday for the Dead".

https://www.timeanddate.com › holidays › germany › totensonntag
Sunday of the Dead in Germany - Time and Date
List of dates for other years. Germany holidays 2022. Germany holidays 2023. The Sunday of the Dead (Totensonntag) is a religious holiday in the German Evangelical Church dedicated to the memory of those who have passed away.Like the National Day of Mourning, it is a "silent day" - this means that in some regions of Germany music or dance events are prohibited.

So it's Lutheran.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:55 am
My maternal grandparents would wait until Christmas Eve to put the decorations up.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:58 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Death Sunday or Eternity Sunday is a day of remembrance for the deceased in the Protestant (here called "evangelisch") churches in Germany and Switzerland.

The main reason for the creation of this day (it has existed since 1816) was probably the lack of a commemoration of the dead in the Evangelical church year.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 07:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hardly any of your posts fail to educate me a bit more. Thanks for the education.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 08:04 am
@izzythepush,
That used to be the custom here. But merchants got involved.

I saw Christmas products out, including trees, in stores before Halloween this year.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 08:25 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My birthday is in early December and we'd normally put the tree up on or around then.

We've only got the tree up, both the Kid and I have a chest infection and are on antibiotics.

Everything is hard work right now, I get tired very easily.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 09:03 am
@izzythepush,
My brother was born on Dec 24. Our family tradition is to open gifts on Christmas Eve and opening Santa's gifts on Christmas Day.

We used to have his birthday cake and gifts on the 24th.

When he turned four, we had a big Christmas Eve at our house. He had wanted and gotten his firetruck. Then we opened Christmas presents. He was befuddled, my mom asked him what was wrong, and he said, "But all I wanted was a firetruck."

We started celebrating his birthday on Nov 24.

To get an idea of how over the top we go, one year we wrapped a 100 pc tool set for my dad, piece by piece, so he could brag he got the most presents that year. One of my nephews, Tommy, got a huge haul for a little kid and laid on top of his pile and said, "Mine, aaallll mine!"

That may have been the last of the big blowouts. But my mother always wanted the six kids and 20 something grand children around her at Christmas.

My parents were successful bankers. My mother was never a great cook, and she did not enjoy baking. But she baked five or six pies every year for Christmas. Then one year, my dad photographed the pies and put it on a slide he slipped into a slide tray of one of their vacations. (This was way back when home movies and slide shows were "American as apple pie".)

At a showing one evening with some of the family over after supper, while running slides, he announced, "and here is something very rare to see ..." and ran the 'pie' slide.

My mother said,"It's a good thing you have a photo of it, because you'll never see one again."

After that, my sister Judy was the pie guy for Christmas.

I'm sorry to hear about your chest infections, it's been bad here this year, especially for kids and weakened old folk. Be careful and take care!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 09:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The Kid is a lot better than me, further down the track. I only started taking antibiotics on Thursday, he started earlier.

Weird antibiotics, I have to stay out of direct sunlight.

I feel like Barney in the episode of the Simpsons where Apu loses his job and they need a replacement.

They ask Barney why he wants the job and he says the doctor has told him to avoid sunlight.
margo

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2022 01:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Weird antibiotics, I have to stay out of direct sunlight.

That's not usually a problem at this time of the year where you are. Although a London friend reported sunshine yesterday (he thinks...something shiny anyway!)
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2022 02:20 am
@margo,
It can be really bad. On somedays it's almost impossible to drive with the low lying sun shining straight in the windscreen first thing.

I can't afford to have any ice/condensation on the windscreen at all.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2022 06:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Recovering nicely, I hope.