Worshiping a God

thriceman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
okay i must say being a person who has been forced to watch a religion grow and force its way into his like i must say worshiping is a ppoint of your perspective if bowing down to a ******* statue forgeting that an item and not a religon and god is the basise of your religion then your a ******* blinded stupid ****
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 12:04 am
Montana wrote:
I believe in god, but I do not worship him/her/whatever. I also don't believe a word that is written in the bible.

So where does your belief in god come from ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 03:55 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

It is contributing to the disintegration of humanity.

How so ?

There have been plenty of wars where religion was a non-factor.

Are you suggesting that because there have been wars where religion was a non-factor...

...that means that religion is not contributing to the disintegration of humanity?????

Fact is, in any case, that religion has not only been a factor in MANY wars...it has been the exclusive factors in MANY wars.

And wars are not the only ingredients in the "disintegration of humanity."
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 02:38 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

It is contributing to the disintegration of humanity.

How so ?

There have been plenty of wars where religion was a non-factor.

Are you suggesting that because there have been wars where religion was a non-factor...

...that means that religion is not contributing to the disintegration of humanity?????

Fact is, in any case, that religion has not only been a factor in MANY wars...it has been the exclusive factors in MANY wars.

And wars are not the only ingredients in the "disintegration of humanity."

I don't think religion is the cause of so many conflicts as an excuse.

You're going to have to give me an example of what you mean by "disintegration of humanity" because it sounds to me like you are overstating the impact religion has on society. While religion has its share of problems, it isn't responsible for all of the woes in the world.

Religions don't destroy!

Men do all the destroying!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:53 am
Quote:

True. But throughout history, men have done the destroying, in the name of religion.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:31 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Montana wrote:
I believe in god, but I do not worship him/her/whatever. I also don't believe a word that is written in the bible.

So where does your belief in god come from ?

It comes from within myself. I believe that we had to be created by something.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
CerealKiller wrote:

I don't think religion is the cause of so many conflicts as an excuse.

Cute...but I ain't buying it. As Phoenix mentions...lots of destroying has been done in the name of religion. AND ANY BEING DONE IN THE NAME OF RELIGION...is too much.

Quote:
You're going to have to give me an example of what you mean by "disintegration of humanity" because it sounds to me like you are overstating the impact religion has on society. While religion has its share of problems, it isn't responsible for all of the woes in the world.

I'm not trying to dis you here, CK...but if anyone has to explain to you how religion is negatively impacting on humanity and society right now...chances are you would not understand the explanation anyway.

Quote:
Religions don't destroy!

Religions always have been...and more than likely always will be....a huge part of why men do their destroying.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:56 am
I have to agree with Frank. The god in the bible is quite the abusive dude and my god doesn't like him.

Seriously, some people carry religion way too far and do terrible things in the name of that religion. How many times have you heard "God told me to do it"?
It can become a sickness.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:31 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

True. But throughout history, men have done the destroying, in the name of religion.

Religion is simply the excuse of choice for violent people to use to cause harm to one another.

If there was no religion or idol worship, violent people will still treat others inhumanely.

Chairman Mao starved 30 million to death. He was an atheist.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:34 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Religion is simply the excuse of choice for violent people to use to cause harm to one another.

If there was no religion or idol worship, violent people will still treat others inhumanely.

Yeah...but they wouldn't have the backing of a god...and all the social approval that engenders.

Religion is primative superstition....and, for the good of society and humanity, should erased from the Earth.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:03 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Cute...but I ain't buying it. As Phoenix mentions...lots of destroying has been done in the name of religion. AND ANY BEING DONE IN THE NAME OF RELIGION...is too much.

And much destroying has been done with religion as a non-factor. WW1,Stalin's puge,Mao's purge,Pol Pot,Vietnam,child abuse,alcoholism,to name a few. Care to voice your indignation for any of those Frank ?

Quote:

I'm not trying to dis you here, CK...but if anyone has to explain to you how religion is negatively impacting on humanity and society right now...chances are you would not understand the explanation anyway..

Or perhaps you just can't think of any examples to support your broad generality. Either way I don't see religion as the scourge of mankind that you make it out to be...as long as people have religious freedom and are not posing their religion on others who cares how/if they worship.

Quote:

Religions always have been...and more than likely always will be....a huge part of why men do their destroying.

That's bullshyt. That's like saying guns kill people.

Religions are like leaves on a tree. Not the root.

The real root problem is mans lust for power and to be violent, not religion.

In general, religious people are very good people.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:13 am
Cereal Killer wrote:
Either way I don't see religion as the scourge of mankind that you make it out to be...as long as people have religious freedom and are not posing their religion on others who cares how/if they worship.

Oh, I agree. I have no problem with the religious who keep their faith in their families, their houses of worship, and their private lives.

The problem is that the religious are often embroiled in tribal rivalries, which translate to death, destruction, and the attempt to abridge the freedom of people who not believe as they do.

What quickly comes to mind in modern times are the Taliban of Afghanistan, the Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds of Iraq, and the Irish Republican Army. I am also not too thrilled with the people in the US who would attempt to foist their religious beliefs on other people, through attempts to pass laws consonant with their own personal religious teachings.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:13 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Religion is primative superstition....and, for the good of society and humanity, should erased from the Earth.

I agree with the first part...but you have no way of knowing what society would be like if religion never existed or were eradicated.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Cereal Killer wrote:
Either way I don't see religion as the scourge of mankind that you make it out to be...as long as people have religious freedom and are not posing their religion on others who cares how/if they worship.

Oh, I agree. I have no problem with the religious who keep their faith in their families, their houses of worship, and their private lives.

The problem is that the religious are often embroiled in tribal rivalries, which translate to death, destruction, and the attempt to abridge the freedom of people who not believe as they do.

What quickly comes to mind in modern times are the Taliban of Afghanistan, the Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds of Iraq, and the Irish Republican Army. I am also not too thrilled with the people in the US who would attempt to foist their religious beliefs on other people, through attempts to pass laws consonant with their own personal religious teachings.

I agree.

For all the bashing the US takes about religion compared to other countries we are very tolerant.

Try being something other than a muslim in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

And much destroying has been done with religion as a non-factor. WW1,Stalin's puge,Mao's purge,Pol Pot,Vietnam,child abuse,alcoholism,to name a few. Care to voice your indignation for any of those Frank ?

Allow me to voice my indignation at all of those things...my very heartfelt, honest indignation.

Quote:

I'm not trying to dis you here, CK...but if anyone has to explain to you how religion is negatively impacting on humanity and society right now...chances are you would not understand the explanation anyway..

Or perhaps you just can't think of any examples to support your broad generality. Either way I don't see religion as the scourge of mankind that you make it out to be...as long as people have religious freedom and are not posing their religion on others who cares how/if they worship.[/quote]

Well...insofar as people are using religion these days to do the horrific things they are doing...

...the most dangerous of the religious folks...are those moderate,unassuming religious people, because they are abetting the extremists by agreeing with those extremists that there definitely is a god...and that the god's will can be known.

At that point...they merely disagree on what the god directs them to do.

And quite honestly...the extremists are closer to the truth, CK...than you moderates.

The god of the Bible and Koran both call for much in the way of killing.

Quote:
Quote:

That's bullshyt. That's like saying guns kill people.

Guns are used to kill people....religion is used to kill people.

A huge part of why men destroy other men...is religion...whether you want to see and acknowledge it or not.

Quote:
Religions are like leaves on a tree. Not the root.

The real root problem is mans lust for power and to be violent, not religion.

Well I think you are dead wrong.

Quote:

In general...all people are very good people.

But religion does tend to screw people up a good deal.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:22 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

I agree with the first part...but you have no way of knowing what society would be like if religion never existed or were eradicated.

I agree with your comment....I have no way of knowing what society would be like in that instance.

I acknowledge that I am merely guessing...and I apologize for not making that clear earlier.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
Quote:

I don't think that a blanket statement can be made about that. I think evil and good run on a continum. There are good people and bad people both amongst the religious and non-religious. In my experience with people, I have not found a strong correlation between religiosity and goodness.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank, you're missing the theme, religion is not to blame...it is stupid people that deserve that.

Wether I kill someone while screaming "Jesus", or chanting "Frank Apisa" It makes no difference. I should not be killing them for either reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank, you're missing the theme, religion is not to blame...it is stupid people that deserve that.

I think you are making a distinction that has precious little difference involved. Religion is to blame. The stupid people certainly contribute...but the religion often is the base upon which their killing and destroying is built. (I grant those kind of people would find other reasons if religion were not available...but this really is minor.)

Quote:
Wether I kill someone while screaming "Jesus", or chanting "Frank Apisa" It makes no difference. I should not be killing them for either reason.

Well...maybe not for Jesus...but for me...it might be okay. Let me know if you plan to do any work...and I'll let you know if I think you should do it in my name.

Just make sure you pronounce the name correctly. The "pisa" sounds like the Leaning Tower town...not any bodily functions.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 04:43 pm
Yeah right, my first assignment from you will be myself. Smile
0 Replies