which one sony microsoft or nintendo (3rd gen)

slipher

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:48 am
Laughing Laughing i think its sony and nothing will change my mind and i mean nothing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,623 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ipsofacto

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
if you're talking about the xbox 360 vs. Nintendo's revolution although I do believe that nintendo has come out of an arcane slump in console making, it still has a long road ahead before it can evenly take on either the XBOX 360 or the PS3, the PS# is my personal favorite(I wan t it to bear my children) but the XBOX360 also rocks hardcore...E3 this year was mind bowing...that is all...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:25 am
I dont know, honestly I would like to see the 360 be the top dog. It is comingo ut before the PS3 and its rumored to launching with 60 titles. that in itself is very impressive. We will see what happens. Its hard to tell right now. Though I honestly believe that the 360 will pull it out.
0 Replies

Dark Monkey

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:37 am
Nintendo dont have the popularity to make it to the top so it will be a battle between sony and microsoft. Im not too sure I'll have to try both before i buy.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
Dark_Monkey wrote:
Nintendo dont have the popularity to make it to the top so it will be a battle between sony and microsoft. Im not too sure I'll have to try both before i buy.

Laughing
What? I mean... what?
You must be joking!
I personally expect more from Nintendo than the two other ones! Laughing
Where did you find that Nintendo don't have enough "popularity" ?
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:56 pm
The 360 probably has the marketing advantages on this side of the planet, with specs revealed at an early stage, an early release and a fairly decent price in a whole new part of the market. But then, I expect nothing but miracles from Revolution and Playstation 3.

The Gamecube was the first console sprung out from the Nintendo HQ that didn't revolutionize the market in some way. The 8-bit introduced the popular market and the D-pad, SNES gave us the L/R, and the 4-button right grip layout still used by all the market leaders except Nintendo themselves. The Game Boy for obvious reasons. The Nintendo 64 defined the 3D platform games and introduced the analogue joystick. Nintendo Revolution is more hyped than ever, and anything but a pure stroke of genius will let me down.

Playstation 3 is just the mean machine on the field. Expensive as hell, designed like a Lambourghini and already with graphic demonstrations cutting edge even on the PC-market. Ken Kutaragi is trying to make a Maserati out of Playstation. Something everyone wants but no one can afford.

I really have good expectations on this one generation, and hopefully I'll end up with all three of them. :-)
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:54 am
Cicero The Orator wrote:
The 360 probably has the marketing advantages on this side of the planet

Oh! That's the explanation! On my side of the planet it's not the case! (Thank god Razz )

Cicero The Orator wrote:
The Gamecube was the first console sprung out from the Nintendo HQ that didn't revolutionize the market in some way

Hmm... I don't agree with that: Nintendo has, with the NGC, reached its goal: to make a (very) cheap console, with very cheap games. I consider this as a revolution! Laughing

As they said nothing much during the E3, I'm expecting even more (I remember the really disapointing trailers of "Zelda, The Wind Waker", and in the end, the game rocks! Very Happy )
0 Replies

bendragonbrown

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
I think Nintendo because they innovate and don't just copy the other things that different companies do well. But I, like you, cannot have my mind changed.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
One thing is clear, Nintendo is aiming towards the young markets - as always, and with its new controller, towards soccer moms as well. IMO I think that they will get even less 3rd party support because developers will have a harder time making ports from one console to the Revolution.

The PS3, I suppose, will be very expensive, specially due to the new DVD technology that they will be implementing. And... I just have to play Halo 3 and end the saga!!! So its X360 for me.

BTW, a revolution equals 360 degrees...
0 Replies

freakstyle28

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 08:34 pm
Quote:
The Gamecube was the first console sprung out from the Nintendo HQ that didn't revolutionize the market in some way.

Cicero The Orator brings up a very good point here. If you look at the most successful systems throughout history, each had something new, which Cicero kindly pointed out, saving me some typing. Think about the systems that did fizzle: Sega Dreamcast was the beginning of the 2nd generation, but the PS2 was more powerful and came out quickly after the dreamcast, destroying its possibilities (minus some of the crown jewel Dreamcast games such as Soul Calibur).

The Revolution (just a codename, the name is supposed to be different at release) is actually attempting to revolutionize the market in several ways: first, the controller is shaped like a remote control (you can get some coverage on this from cube.ign.com). The controller will have motion sensor ability, meaning that you can point and click on the screen similar to the days of Duck Hunt. Also, rumor has it that classic NES, SNES, and N64 games will be downloadable onto the Revolution.

Just go to IGN and check it out for yourselves.
0 Replies

Dark Monkey

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 02:06 am
Radical Edward Take a look through this site and through the ENTIRE internet and you will find that sony and microsoft have more money, popularity and quality. Take a look at PSP verses the Gameboy Micro there is just no competition. Have a look in stores and see what consoles have the most game selection. Sony and Microsoft. I personally like the gamecube but have never owned one(the only reason i would, would be for games such as zelda) because of the factors that I have stated. Laughing
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
Ow! So you prefer sony and microsoft because you think that the rest of the world prefers it? What an independent mind you have! Laughing
Talking about money, microsoft is simply out of competition, so there's no possible debate on this point. Razz
Concerning the "PSP vs Gameboy Micro", here again, there is no possible debate. The GB micro is not an inovation (except that it's rather small and looks pretty good). Compare the Nintendo DS and the PSP if you want to compare something! A competition with the BG micro is just useless! And the DS sold better than the PSP (when talking about sellings, I'm talking about japan) and is more a console for me, as it has no useless fonctions, such as the possibility of playing sony films, or to make ice cubes! Laughing .
The thing is that (for the moment, and I sincerely hope it will change), only nintendo didn't disapointed me (except for the BG micro, which is nintendo's "PSone" for me, that is to say: a small version of something else, sold just to make money). Except for the BG micro, all the nintendo consoles brought something new, and were not there to bring as much money as possible. I can't say this about nintendo or microsoft.
Moreover, except maybe for Kameo, (which doesn't look good, but has a good gameplay) I prefer the games on Game Cube or DS. The games on DS are just terrific, with a real feeling of immersion, and the games on Game Cube are more diversified than sport games (PS) and RPG (Xbox). I'm impatiently waiting for the revolution , but I'm also impatiently waiting for sony or microsoft to do something new and interesting. Very Happy
0 Replies

LovebitesU4life

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
There is no question on the popularity of Nintendo in Japan (even the PC is not considered a games platform over there). However in Europe and USA the Nintendo is sadly a poor 3rd place in terms of popularity. Shame because i actually liked the Gamecube Very Happy I used to be a games tester (mostly before the PS2 generation platforms) and all i can say from my knowledge of the field to date is that Sony is the leading contender with Microsoft a distant 2nd and Nintendo trailing for 3rd.

I have all the consoles and a PC platform for gaming I use the PC reguarly of course but out of the usage of my other consoles all i can say is... PS2 gathering dust and hasn't been played in well over 18 months. The Gamecube gets played occasionally but no interest in buying new games for it when the Xbox is used each and every day from morning through to night. I have well over 80 titles for the Xbox and now would not consider purchasing for another platform unless it was a sole title of course (but even the draw of Gran Tourismo no longer wins with the advent of Forza). Now i have the 360 and the xbox is sadly no longer used ( although its games are still used on the 360) and for the foreseeable future i see the Xbox as market leader until Sony launch their baby.
Microsoft is playing an aggressive game to elbow more room in the popularity contest at the moment. They have purchased some very large software houses so they will soley write for the Xbox and this of course will damage Sony and Nintendo in the months ahead.

There will always be die hard supporters of all 3 manufacturers of course and i am firmly staking my allegance to the 360. Of course when the PS3 arrives i will purchase it but i doubt i will get the revolution unless it really does do something revolutionary.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
LovebitesU4life wrote:
There is no question on the popularity of Nintendo in Japan (even the PC is not considered a games platform over there). However in Europe and USA the Nintendo is sadly a poor 3rd place in terms of popularity.

I quite agree to the fact that the PC is not a games platform, but whatever... Laughing
In the US I can't tell, but in Europe, microsoft is definitely NOT in the second place! Here, the Xboxes don't sell that well. Nintendo is at the second place behind Sony, that's right, mostly because (at least in France), the NGC has a kind of weird reputation saying that it's "for kids", whereas the PS2 is for "adults". Consequently, all the teens want their PS2 Laughing
My gamecube is used almost everyday (as often as I can play in fact) and I really enjoy it. But I promise, if the PS3 or the Xbox360 propose me something else than sports, races or (ugly) RPGs, I'll run to purchase one of them (or even both) Very Happy
LovebitesU4life wrote:
i doubt i will get the revolution unless it really does do something revolutionary.

That's what everybody hopes :wink:
0 Replies

LovebitesU4life

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 04:41 pm
Europe has a strong Nintendo following I agree. However As I live in the UK I can only go along with the following the various consoles have over here.

Here are some quoted figures from Games Industry.biz Admittedly these are results from early 2004 but the market share has not changed a great deal since then... well perhaps sony has increased its lead still further but thats about it i think:?

Quote:
It's important to note that these figures are for the UK alone, with performance in the rest of Europe generally considered to have been significantly more positive, especially in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Nintendo has an especially hard time in the UK, for some reason, and the market cannot be treated as representative of Europe as a whole by any means.

Quote:
During the last six weeks of the year, a fraction over one in two consoles sold in the UK was a PS2, demonstrating Sony's vice-like grip on the UK market despite its rivals discounting their machines and bundling top quality games.

As a quick comparison, the PS2 outsold the Microsoft Xbox by almost three to one, and outsold Nintendo's GameCube by over five to one. Considering the price differences, the technical inferiority of the PS2 and the strength of its rivals' first party line-ups, this is an incredible result for Sony, and it's almost hard to believe that the company has had such unprecedented success with a machine that had such a difficult launch period.

Meanwhile, despite Nintendo's ongoing problems with the GameCube in the UK, it enjoyed phenomenal success with the Game Boy Advance and the remodelled SP, claiming the number two slot in the UK for 2003, with 27.3 per cent of the console market share - up from 2002's 20.3 per cent.

The SP constituted 77 per cent of the GBA sales, with stocks of the original, cheaper model almost running out by the end of the year. Over the last six weeks of 2003, total GBA unit sales accounted for 21.7 per cent of the market, although this could have been more were it not for some stock issues which saw sales peak at the beginning of December - unlike all the other formats which peaked in the week before Christmas.

However, Nintendo UK will be bitterly disappointed that it couldn't replicate the success of the Cube in the US (and indeed in some other European territories) over here, and over the course of 2003 actually managed to sell less GameCubes than in its launch year, despite the incredibly tempting £79.99 price point. Market share for 2003 was down to just 8.9 per cent from 11.9 per cent (2002) and total unit sales fell by a depressing 18.7 per cent, despite the fact that the machine only went on sale in May 2002.

Quote:
Although UK sales of the Xbox - crucially - usurped the £50 cheaper Cube by 82 per cent over the course of 2003, the gulf between it and Sony was almost as vast as the year before, with an embarrassing one to three sales ratio between the Xbox and PS2. During the last six weeks of the year, the Xbox managed to account for a relatively meagre 17.3 per cent of the Christmas market share, and it wasn't until the last two weeks of the year that sales reached the levels that Microsoft would have been hoping for in its forecasts.

With console sales in the UK having seemingly reached a plateau, the next two years ahead will see margins on all four main consoles likely to be eroded to bargain basement levels as the market focuses increasingly on software rather than hardware. In all probability, by the end of this year, both the PS2 and Xbox will retail for under £100, while the Cube could be priced around the £50 to £60 mark in an attempt to capture the 'second console' market. Sales in the GBA are likely to remain solid, with a price cut expected by the summer.

Im sure that across Europe the Nintendo enjoys greater support as confirmed by the report. In the UK however its not the same and Xbox is a strong force over here.
0 Replies

KidsAreYummy

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:02 am
My beef with Microsoft is that it seems like they're trying to beat the market to death. Xbox came out last of the last generation of consoles, and now Xbox 360 is coming out at least 6 months earlier than any of it's competitors. As a result of them rushing the release, there's some pretty major problems with the thing. This is a very common problem with Microsoft, in my opinion, and completely inexcusable. Pulling stuff like that is not a good way to build up a roster of returning buyers.

Sony, I think, invested more time and planning into PS3 than either Microsoft or Nintendo did in their next gen consoles. The specs, it's capabilities, and compatibility shows that they really made the effort, and it's already, on paper, beating the other two systems up and down the charts.

Backwards compatible with PS2 games, and even improving the graphics in a lot of the, sounds great to me. Which also means, that we won't need to keep the old PS2 around. Can you say the same about your Xbox? No.

High resolutions are where displays, games, and movies will always be moving. PS3 already has a substantial jump on Xbox360 in that matter as well.

If i had to pick a console platform, it would be PS3, for the reasons that i listed above, and also for the fact that PS2 had the best games overall out of the last gen consoles, and i expect PS3 to continue that trend, especially since it already has a library of thousands of games. I would buy one simply to make my existing games look better.

However, PC remains my platform of choice.
0 Replies

LovebitesU4life

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:35 am
I admit that the PS3 statistics on paper is a mighty impressive machine. However once you look under the surface and read the arcticles from the development team then you soon realise that the PS£ is not as easy to put its power down as the 360. This means that its current development means the console has to work well within its capabilities and thus it probably wont be a whole lot faster or look any better than the 360 (if at all). Many software developers are complaining that the ps3 is a nightmare to write for and some are simply not even going to bother (though im sure they wont resist once its released :wink: As the PS3 is the later machine i fully expect it to be a better machine but at the end of the day its the software that makes the console successful and i feel Microsoft already have this knowledge and are using their muscle to full effect. 4 software houses already purchased to soley write games for the xbox platform, im sure sony will follow suit as they also are a huge giant in the industry so i think that both console futures are safe for many years to come.

Basically its horses for courses, some people are xbox lovers, some are Nintendo etc, whatever wets your biscuit is basically the tops for you. I personally am an Xbox 360 fan however i will be getting the sony console as well just to make sure no games slip by me :wink:

As for the 360 being rushed.. I have heard of the console crashing in the USA but all i can say is that i have had mine running almost constantly since its launch date and its still solid as a rock. Where i work we have sold 25 360 all to staff and none of these have complained with crashes or glitches. Perhaps the US version of the 360 has issues but early indications seem to show the European 360 works fine.
0 Replies

LovebitesU4life

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
Quote:
Backwards compatible with PS2 games, and even improving the graphics in a lot of the, sounds great to me. Which also means, that we won't need to keep the old PS2 around. Can you say the same about your Xbox? No.

Err cant be 100% sure here as i have not tried all my older Xbox games (been busy playing the new stuff to be honest Embarrassed ). However, so far all the normal Xbox games i have tried on the system work fine.
0 Replies

bendragonbrown

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:15 am
I am a die hard Nintendo fan...
0 Replies