Has Flying has become a nuisance?

jcboy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 07:32 am
We’re planning on a trip to Tampa to visit the kid’s aunt for Thanksgiving. I have quite a bit of points on my credit card to use so I was checking which airline gave the best deal for two adults and three children. Well it was Alaska Airlines. Never flown them before, I’ve always flown American or United. Those clowns had us flying to Seattle arriving at 8:55 PM then to Tampa early the next morning, 8-hour delay! By the time we would get to the Hotel and then back to the Airport we would only have slept about 5 hours! The hell with that, I’ll pay more and fly out of LAX with a direct flight to Tampa!

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
RPhalange
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 08:48 am
@jcboy,
Seattle is Alaska's headquarters. It is not as big as many of the other US airlines. So if you live in the Seattle airline - they are great, but they are limited on where they fly direct. Although they fly to many destinations, they fly most in the Northwest. i have flown them quite a bit due to where I live and travel to. I have had little issues with them other than like you note limits on number of flights.

And always consider - cheapest - you get what you pay for. With kids, I'd fly direct if you can. Just picture making a connection and if there are delays where you miss a flight; need to reschedule; it would be a nightmare for you.
jcboy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:02 am
@RPhalange,
You’re right, not worth taking a chance being delayed with three kids. Going to book with American Airlines. Non-stop from LAX to Tampa. You know it’s cheaper to go non-stop then it is to transfer planes!
Mame

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:07 am
@jcboy,
We've decided to forgo international travel next Spring because of all the headaches and just spend 6 weeks driving east across Canada to the Maritimes. Don't have to worry about queues, delays, lay-overs, over-bookings, bad or no food, and customs and security. Like most people, we love being somewhere else but don't like the hassle of getting there. Canada is a lovely country west of Alberta and east of Manitoba.

I hope you guys have a great time, jc.
jcboy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:17 am
@Mame,
Thank you, the kids are looking forward to seeing aunt Isabel. You know the last time I flew alone, business trip, there must have been 80 people in the security line and guess who they decide to pull aside and frisk down? ME! Out of 80 people I’m the one they choose. Drunk
RPhalange

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:20 am
@jcboy,
They did that to my sister - we were going on a family trip and my sister was about 6, she was so scared. I laughed.
jcboy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:25 am
@RPhalange,
You know the guy that was behind me said they probably choose me because I didn't look like I was going to give him any trouble.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:48 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

You know the guy that was behind me said they probably choose me because I didn't look like I was going to give him any trouble.

He was probably right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 12:51 pm
Completely irrelevant to the discussion, I saw that one major airline is doing away with first class seating.
Mame

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 01:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's a segue Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2022 11:01 pm
@jcboy,
Try flying internationally, it's gruesome at times. I had 4 hours delay in Houston coming from Europe, the person next to me was re-routed within Europe 3 times and spent 6 hours there before flying another 11 hours to Houston. We're treated like cattle, really.
Mame

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2022 12:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
I know... and the thing is that lately you have your flight shifted at the last minute and it's on you to accept or not. I flew to Vancouver this summer. My flight was supposed to be at 1:00 pm but it was changed to 11:30 pm. What the hell kind of hour is that to fly one province over? I had to cancel the whole ticket and fly with our only other damn airline. I was only going for 5 days so that would have taken away one day. They just cancel and don't really help you rebook. That's why my next trip will be a driving holiday within Canada.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2022 05:07 pm
@Mame,
That's a lot of driving for you then, Mame!
I can't do that, but I will avoid Dallas or Houston in future, that's for sure!
Chicago, Philadelphia and NYC are out too! Very Happy
PoliteMight

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2022 08:04 pm
@jcboy,
So they basically loaded up more passengers or even fuel ( or something important like a crew shift ) for the plane and then flew you to the destination.
That is why it was cheap. Maybe it works like using a credit-card at random teller-machine for them to do whatever it is they do business wise. It is cheaper for them down the road and thus you.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2022 06:10 am
@CalamityJane,
Apparently the secret is to fly into a small hub, CJ.

We are used to driving long distances here. When my ex and I were in Bristol, four of us decided to go to Snowdonia in Wales. When his sabbatical colleagues heard we were only going for four days, they were appalled. "You're going to drive FOUR hours for a four day trip?? Here, four hours is a trip to visit family, or for some folks in the rural areas, a trip to the hospital.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2022 04:02 pm
Flying isn't the nuisance: the airlines and the airports are the nuisance.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2022 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
They want to expand Business Class. A friend of mine with Alaska Airlines said it was about not being able to fill First Class these last few years.
RPhalange

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 07:23 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It is funny as last spring I was flying and when I went to book it, it popped that for just like $50 more I could fly first class; damn yep I went for it. It was a short flight but completely worth it. So I can see what you are saying as I would imagine that it is not normally that different in price.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 10:18 am
@RPhalange,
I think the low price you paid had to do with a low demand for 1st class on short flights. $5.00, that was a deal!
RPhalange

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 01:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
$50 - not $5 - it was an hour and half flight - but it was nice! It was worth also as you don't pay extra for luggage - so even money-wise it was a good investment