(Airlines) must offer automatic refunds for canceled flights under new regulations.

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2024 08:48 pm
(Airlines) must offer automatic refunds for canceled flights under new regulations.

Published April 24, 2024

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 90 • Replies: 4
No top replies

RPhalange

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2024 08:50 am
@Real Music,
You know what I don't like this automatic refund. When I have had a flight canceled before or the time has changed significantly, I have been able to rebook another flight or have the option of getting a refund. I go online or call the airlines and rebook; no extra cost or else select the refund button and I get refunded.

I am afraid now with the automatic refund that if you want to rebook a flight, you will get your money back and then you will need to book another flight which is likely to cost you more money. Before the airlines would not charge you more because they canceled the flight. For most people they still want to fly, say you are trying to get home, you still need to fly back, but with this change it appears you no longer have the option to just rebook at a different time, but will get your full refund and then need to rebook at whatever the cost of the flight is now.
RPhalange

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2024 11:52 am
@RPhalange,
Ok I found this:

"You can still choose to be rebooked
If travelers’ flights have been canceled or significantly changed, they can still continue with their trip. Passengers are only eligible for a refund if they have declined to accept alternative transportation."

It wasn't stated in that video, but I was concerned on this. It doesn't say anything about additional cost, but my guess is airlines would prefer you to rebook rather than give your money back, so I hope they won't use this as a loop hole to charge you more to rebook.

To be honest I have had issues with flights being canceled and long delays over 3 hours. However, when working with the airlines I typically was given good compensation. The airline seemed to try as hard as possible to get me on as good a flight as possible. The delays though I was given flight vouchers, but they were a good amount $200 for a 3 hour delay that I had a year to use. It worked well because I was planning another trip and in another case $100 voucher again I was able to use. But yes cash is king! I wonder how much the cash would be though on a delay; I doubt it would be the full price of the flight but probably some percentage. If the airlines offered me a better deal though with a voucher I might be enticed to take that over the cash.
Mame

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2024 12:15 pm
@RPhalange,
Here they can't charge you more for a rebooked ticket if it was cancelled on their end, even if it's with another carrier. It's been far too long that passengers suffer at the expense of the airlines. I get the weather can be problematic, but there's no excuse for mechanical issues. They should go over it once it lands while they're unloading everyone and everything. Too many times passengers have sat for hours on the tarmac waiting for a tool, or a mechanic, to fix what shouldn't have been allowed out of the hangar.
RPhalange

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2024 12:52 pm
@Mame,
Yeah I never had an issue getting compensated in a what I felt was reasonable. But I did have to call afterwards to get it, they did not automatically give it out. I simply called and asked what sort of compensation they would provide. I think that is the issue, many people do not follow up. This is better as now you won't need to call, they just issue it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » (Airlines) must offer automatic refunds for canceled flights under new regulations.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:07:45