Solipsism and Berkeley

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2022 08:29 am
Solipsism assumes that there is only me, and all reality along with other subjects is only my imagination. Solipsism is more consistent than the positions of Bishop Berkeley.
Berkeley assumes that observable things and phenomena are only systems of impressions, because only impressions are directly accessible to us, and assuming the existence of non mental matter is unauthorized speculation. Independence and order, as well as the existence beyond the perception of things and phenomena observed, Berkeley justifies with the fact that they are perceived by God.
Berkeley accepts the existence of other subjects, which seems unjustified, a more consistent position is solipsism, which in some formulation may formulate the thesis that the things and phenomena observed are only systems of my private impressions, including other subjects. Such soplipsism seems insurmountable. So, since we accept the existence of other subjects, then on that basis we have the full right to accept existence non mental reality. This argument is the one of the strongest arguments against Berkeley's theory, let me call it an argument from solipsism.

author of text: Gregory Podgorniak, text was created in 2021
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,467 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Albuquerque

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2022 05:28 pm
@pragmatical45,
Solipsism in a way entails you are the "God"...so I find your comment a bit amusing!
0 Replies

Agent Smith

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2022 11:35 am
Solipsism is not and endpoint, it's a waypoint.

My 2 Cents
0 Replies