Spontaneous knowledge

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:08 pm
Spontaneous knowledge comes quickly, but if it does not then there is a blank. This is caused by the time delay as the knowledge makes its way to the brain. The brain then adds up all the blanks and does something stupid. Then knowledge comes and tells the brain it did something stupid and not to do it again or its blanks will be taken away.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:32 pm
that's why I always get pre-formatted brains.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:37 pm
The words stupid and knowledge are not defined and therefore it's impossible to determine if blanks exist at all. Without a clear definition of knowledge and stupid there is no way to determine whether a person actually uses their brain.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:51 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
The words stupid and knowledge are not defined and therefore it's impossible to determine if blanks exist at all. Without a clear definition of knowledge and stupid there is no way to determine whether a person actually uses their brain.

I use terms as they are commonly understood, unless you wish to use them differently.
I set time aside each day to use my brain. When I do not use my brain I make sure my activities are propelled by the juggernaut momentum of my brain chemicals. When these stop, then I must think again.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:09 pm
Or find alternative chemicals.

It is impossible to know whether you are using your brain or your brain is using you.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:50 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Or find alternative chemicals.

It is impossible to know whether you are using your brain or your brain is using you.

At least I am asssured that I am here, and my brain is there. So if I talk to my brain then I am moving brain matter purely by thought - mind over matter. But if my brain talks to me then I must learn when it's talk and thoughts are not my own.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:53 pm
Your brain and you are not in the same location? If you think you are here, perhaps your brain just wants you to think you are here when really you are there, exactly where it wants you!

Of course, talking can't happen without your brain, so are you talking to your brain, or is your brain talking to you?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:53 pm
Re: Spontaneous knowledge
John Jones wrote:
Spontaneous knowledge comes quickly...

From where?
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 12:48 am
John Jones

Quote:
At least I am asssured that I am here, and my brain is there.

So, after all, dualism is possible. the "I" seems to be no more a language convenience. It becames the substance.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 12:57 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Your brain and you are not in the same location? If you think you are here, perhaps your brain just wants you to think you are here when really you are there, exactly where it wants you!

Of course, talking can't happen without your brain, so are you talking to your brain, or is your brain talking to you?

I cannot be in my brain because I would be in a bag.
Also, ponder yet: Me and my brain are constantly arguing over who owns the third thing that passes back and forth between us. My brain says it is information and so belongs to itself, I say that it is just repeating what I said only in a stupid unimaginative way.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
Re: Spontaneous knowledge
Mills75 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Spontaneous knowledge comes quickly...

From where?

It doesn't. Knowledge doesn't come from anywhere. I made it up. Knowledge is a report, or statements put out in the public domain that serve useful purposes. Where there is no report, there is no knowledge.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
val wrote:
John Jones

Quote:
At least I am asssured that I am here, and my brain is there.

So, after all, dualism is possible. the "I" seems to be no more a language convenience. It becames the substance.

That's right. 'I' becomes the substance. The idea is a thoroughly bad one.
First, by saying 'I' am here, and my brain is 'there', I have only extension - or one substance, so it would not be a dualism. But I can't say that I am here and my brain is there anyway, because that would mean that I would be inside a brain bag, and the brain is not a bag. There is nothing I can construct that I can call 'I' such that I can distinguish it from a material brain.

The answer is that 'I' is a grammatical convenience, which cannot be influenced by the brain. But this also means that the brain is limited as a concept because it fails to support consciousness. So we must abandon the idea of the brain. This is easy to do if we remember that the brain is a theoretical construction (to be precise, a paradigmatic oxymoron, a conceptual hybrid) assembled from social criteria mapped to chemical events.
0 Replies