Allen Weisselberg

gollum

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 08:43 am
Mr. Weisselberg, the Trump Organization's CFO, plead guilty to numerous crimes. In essence, he failed to pay taxes on various employee benefits.

I believe some employee benefits are not taxable (e.g., employee health insurance).

I believe that many employee benefits may be taxable but almost no one pays the tax. We don't receive a bill and so we take no action.

Also, in (I think) a related matter, many people pay a woman to perform domestic tasks (e.g., cleaning house). Typically this is done "off the books."

Are all these people criminals?

View best answer, chosen by gollum
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 09:11 am
@gollum,
Several questions there. First, Weisselberg pleaded guilty to fraud.
Quote:
Weisselberg pleaded guilty to 15 felonies and admitted he failed to pay taxes on $1.7 million in income, including luxury perks, such as rent and utilities for a Manhattan apartment, leases for a pair of Mercedes-Benz cars and private school tuition for his grandchildren.

These are taxable benefits and as CFO, Weisselberg absolutely knew about it.
Quote:
I believe that many employee benefits may be taxable but almost no one pays the tax. We don't receive a bill and so we take no action.

It is your employer's responsibility to report your income, including taxable benefits to the government and include them on your W-2 so you pay taxes on them. If your company fails to do that, they are breaking the law. In this case, Weisselberg used his position as CFO to ensure his benefits were not reported.
Quote:
Also, in (I think) a related matter, many people pay a woman to perform domestic tasks (e.g., cleaning house). Typically this is done "off the books."

Are all these people criminals?

There are two ways this happens. If you hire someone occasionally who has a cleaning service or cleans for someone else, you are hiring a contractor who is responsible for the taxes owed. If they don't pay the taxes, they are breaking the law and will be responsible for taxes, interest and penalties if they get caught, including the potential of jail time. If you hire someone to work just for you, say a maid, then you are their employer and are responsible for reporting their income to the government, withholding appropriate taxes and giving them things like W2's so they can do their taxes. Some companies like to hire people as employees but call them contractors to avoid their responsibilities. Here is a story about the Uber lawsuit.
gollum

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 10:04 am
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

That said, I substantially knew the substance of the law.

However, I also know that there are a large number of women who work as maids for cash. I don't think most of these women would agree to working "on the books" and receiving a W-2 or 1099.

I think they correctly believe that as long as all their income is off the books, they are invisible to the IRS and to the government more broadly. As soon as I make a government filing with their names on it, they can never again be invisible to the government.

Or they do it that way because everyone does it that way.

I don't know if a person, after working as a maid off the books, has ever then sued her employer for the social security benefits she would have received if she had worked legally.

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 11:41 am
@gollum,
There are people who perform many jobs for which they are paid in cash and the government isn't aware of. Cleaning ladies, dog walkers, babysitters, lawn and snow care, hair styling... and more. As well, there is a lot of trading going on. In addition, people don't pay taxes on what you might buy at a flea market or garage sale.

I don't think our government (Canada) is interested is such small potatoes - they look for the bigger crimes.
engineer

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2022 07:08 am
@gollum,
I think if they could, these domestic workers would be happy to file with the government. Being "invisible" means also not being able to take advantage of the social safety net programs like unemployment, social security and Medicare. The problem is we expect them to work off the book and transfer the "savings" to us. In an ideal world, they would be paid fairly for their work and pay taxes like everyone else.

I do know of someone who hired a nanny off the books then when she filed for unemployment after they let her go was fined by the government for not paying taxes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2022 07:31 am
@Mame,
This is Gollum, on another thread she is lying about teacher's pay and conditions.

On this one, instead of being concerned about multimillion tax fraud by the likes of Allen Weisenberg she is complaining about poor cleaning women getting cash in hand and avoiding a few dollars tax.

On threads about black people being victims of police brutality and victims of miscarriages of justice she always tries to blame the black victims in some way.
0 Replies