Dr Strangelove

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:58 am
Who was caricatured as Dr Strangelove - a friend says Haig, but I say Kissinger. Or was it someone altogether else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,252 • Replies: 18
No top replies

carditel

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
I always thought it was General Curtis LeMay.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:09 pm
Dr Strangelove was made in 1964. That would be too early for either Haig or Kissinger. I think the charachter was purely fictional, a charicature of a zany ex-nazi scientist with no counterpart in history.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:11 pm
I have heard the character was based on John Von Neumann, the brillian mathematician and games theorist who advocated a preemptive nuclear war with the Soviets.

Quote:

In 1948, Von Neumann became a consultant for the RAND Corporation. RAND (Research ANd Development) was founded by defense contractors and the Air Force as a "think tank" to "think about the unthinkable." Their main focus was exploring the possibilities of nuclear war and the possible strategies for such a possibility.

Von Neumann was, at the time, a strong supporter of "preventive war." Confident even during World War II that the Russian spy network had obtained many of the details of the atom bomb design, Von Neumann knew that it was only a matter of time before the Soviet Union became a nuclear power. He predicted that were Russia allowed to build a nuclear arsenal, a war against the U.S. would be inevitable. He therefore recommended that the U.S. launch a nuclear strike at Moscow, destroying its enemy and becoming a dominant world power, so as to avoid a more destructive nuclear war later on. "With the Russians it is not a question of whether but of when," he would say. An oft-quoted remark of his is, "If you say why not bomb them tomorrow, I say why not today? If you say today at 5 o'clock, I say why not one o'clock?"

Just a few years after "preventive war" was first advocated, it became an impossibility. By 1953, the Soviets had 300-400 warheads, meaning that any nuclear strike would be effectively retaliated.

In 1954, Von Neumann was appointed to the Atomic Energy Commission. A year later, he was diagnosed with bone cancer. William Poundstone's Prisoner's Dilemma suggests that the disease resulted from the radiation Von Neumann received as a witness to the atomic tests on Bikini atoll. "A number of physicists associated with the bomb succumbed to cancer at relatively early ages." (p. 189)

Von Neumann maintained a busy schedule throughout his sickness, even when he became confined to a wheelchair. It has been claimed by some that the wheelchair-bound mathematician was the inspiration for the character of Dr. Strangelove in the 1963 film Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

link
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
I stand corrected.

Thanks for sharing that, ebrown.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm
I am a big fan of Von Neumann for his work in game theory.

I didn't always agree with his application of the results to politics.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:50 pm
ebrown_p: that would make a lot of sense. I always thought he represented a sort of insane national impulse of self-destructiveness (whereas Gen. Jack D. Ripper represented the insane paranoia of the Cold War).

And, in the spirit of the thread, I leave you with these parting words:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:02 pm
In the 60s, a friend told me that General Ripper was patterned after Curtis LeMay.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:37 am
Kubrick himself seems to have confirmed that it is Curtis LeMay but like Welles with "Citizen Kane," it's only an infererance. Anyone Google the question?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:39 am
Filmsite.com is usually a realiable source and it does state that the character was based on Curtis LeMan:

http://www.filmsite.org/drst.html
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
I had always heard it was based on LeMay, a war-hawk's warhawk
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 11:23 am
Seems to me the George C. Scott character would have been based on Le May, not Dr. Strangelove.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 11:40 am
I recently read about Herman Kahn, who wrote about the possible consequences of thermonuclear war ("Thinking About the Unthinkable", etc.). Kahn theorized about, among other things, creating underground bunkers to save the best and brightest. Kubrick read Kahn--connect the dots.

Kahn = Dr. Strangelove!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0674017145.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 01:14 pm
Dr Strangelove
I wonder if Edward Teller could have been the model - strong accent, single-minded enthusiasm for "superbomb" (hydrogen bomb), not the bombs that were finally used. He was at odds with Oppenheimer and finally betrayed him. Teller was very much instrumental in having Oppenheimer's security clearance revoked, but never could understand why he was subsequently shunned by many, if not most of the physicists who had worked with Oppenheimer.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 01:42 pm
Absolutely one of my favorites and it had to be Curtis "lets bomb them back to the stone age" LeMay.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 02:21 pm
Dr Strangelove
This site carries a review which lists several possibilities:

http://www.empireonline.com.au/athome_show.php?id=121
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 02:39 pm
Great link, TK . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
Yes, an excellent link and Setanta, of course, you are right. In the continuity of the thread I lost the gist -- George C. Scott's character was based on Curtis LeMay I do believe.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:34 am
Right...I got muddled.
0 Replies