Data on first names by racial group?

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:05 am
Was just processing a new hires paperwork, and this question popped into my head...

I am a white female, 46 years old, year of birth 1958

I have a relatively common first name, however, I very seldom meet or hear of someone with this name who is white.

I'd say at least 80% of the women I know of who have the same name as me are African American.

Also, my first name was apparantlly more popular for babies in the 1940's. So ususally it's a woman my age or older.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, even though every time we meet a woman with my name, I'll say to him -SEE?, because she's african american.

Are there records that reference first names given to babies, and their race?
It would be fun to know this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,091 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Jim

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:52 am
That is interesting.

My wife was also born in 1958, and also has a given name usually associated with African Americans.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:56 am
Hmmm...bookmark.
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 08:38 pm
Names are always surprising. I thought my mother had invented the name Tyra. My sister, who she named Tyra, is 44. Then I saw the obituary for an elderly black man named Tyra.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:18 pm
Re: Data on first names by racial group?
Chai Tea wrote:
Are there records that reference first names given to babies, and their race?
It would be fun to know this.

You can find out a lot about the popularity of names during different years form the Social Security website. Unfortunately, they do not provide racial data, only sex and year.

Popular Baby Names[/u]
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:35 pm
You may find something HERE to answer your question. You can scroll down to check names.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:05 am
I don't know if it answers Chai"s question or not, but I found the link fascinating. Thanks, Intrepid.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:06 am
Intrepid wrote:
You may find something HERE to answer your question. You can scroll down to check names.

Yes, it is an interesting site, but like Andrew said, doesn't answer my question.....my name is one that everyone's familiar with.

I've read articles like this one though, and unfortunatly it's true, sometimes one can get too creative.
I've always gone by the premise that you need you picture your baby with that name when they are 40, 50, 60 years old.

BTW - That boy named Winner in the article? My father in laws name was Win, I always thought that was really cool.

Different, but not too unusual.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:22 am
My mother's name was Win as well. Short for Winnifred. I think that was popular in the twenties.
0 Replies