Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
My daughter just recovered from mono.

Please drink many good fluids daily and no exertion for 6 weeks. <sex>

Rest...rest....rest....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:04 pm
Craven--

Get the blood work done to confirm mono. You know mono used to be called the "kissing disease"--now it's a second string STD.

As for the Groves of Academe--sip, don't gulp. You have to learn the system before you can play the system.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:22 pm
I missed the mono part.

Well, then.

take care...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:23 pm
Noddy yer saying when I was in middleschool I had a STD?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:26 pm
Yeah. I had it in 6th grade.

It is a precourser to Chronic Fatigue. It's Epstein-Barr virus linked.

If that's what it is--de-stressing should be a lifelong goal.

<Take care>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:28 pm
get some rest Craven - I know you are a driven young guy - but you gotta rest and please see a Doc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:01 am
Dunno if I mentioned it, but I ended up dropping the English 101 class. Time is sparse and the teacher's absence policy was a recipie for disaster for me (still haven't missed a class, but will be sent overseas as soon as a project is ready).

Had my first test on Psyc 101. It was for the first two chapters covering the roots of psychology, the various schools of thought in psychology and research methods and a whole lot on how psychology is a science.

At first I was taking notes, but realized these two chapters cover subjects that I am very familiar with and didn't bother to pay much attention (just a quick speed-read through the chapters).

I got a 94 on the test, made a silly mistake with picking the median test score. Rolling Eyes

The next chapter is mostly about the brain's physiology. I tend to gloss over names and dates whenever I read, so if I don't study all the various names I will do very poorly on this chapter even though the concepts are familiar to me.

Dunno if I'll have time to study enough to make a difference, so I'll probably just read the chapter the night before the test.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:40 am
Good luck - I liked brain physiology when I did a year of psych, some of it - some - of it stayed with me. Unfortunately I chucked out my textbooks and papers when I moved house. I knew I should have kept it all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:48 am
Sounds like that made sense, dropping English 101, pity the teacher was such a tightarse over silly piffle...

Hmmmmm....brain research is the most exciting thing around at present, for therapists it is a mother lode, though I doubt Psych 101 will get into the really exciting stuff.

Thought of drawing a picture or 3 or 4 of the damn brain the night before, as well as reading?

Rote learning sucks...

We had to learn the names and functions of all the damn nerves branching out from the cervical spine (they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time stopping you from biting your tonge..) - why I shall never know. Professional bastardization?

I am not like you, GF, no matter how fascinating it is, I have huge trouble recalling all the names for all the bits, so here I am reading about some of the stunning trauma etc stuff, and I have to keep looking back to tell me amygdlia from me corpus callosum (well, no, I actually know them, but you get the picture.)
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 02:01 am
I was going to get a plastic brain thing to help but jeepers expensive! Had to make do with nice coloured pictures instead Very Happy

But I could never keep up with the contemporary research, it was rocketing along while I was still trying to identify Broca's Area. The effort left me speechless (I know, very bad pun).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 02:18 am
dlowan wrote:
Thought of drawing a picture or 3 or 4 of the damn brain the night before, as well as reading?

Not really, I don't really want to learn the names or locations so much as what processes are grouped.

I'm probably going to go for a B (quick read) or C (no read, just guessing) on the next test and I don't plan to study too much.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 03:38 am
C'est la vie.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:47 am
One month down, three to go.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:06 pm
Why does it bother me that he's not going for the A?

<bothered!!>

If you're capable of, really, easy A's--why not pad your future resume...??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:16 pm
Ordinarily I'd be seeing a downhill slope, and yet may be, but understand Craven's take.

As one who lights on names fractionally before concepts, though absorbing concepts, usually, let me suggest that lack of names can do you in, and names accumulate. Whatever your natural ability re just words, or real concepts, names do accumulate and you need to know them for tests and communication.

Better to nab names fast in some simple way, like a list to put in front of your face once in a while, as in, while waiting for a phone to ring through, or a download..

x to lecture, but names'll break your back re grades in certain classes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:41 pm
Well, that is, in beginning classes...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:02 pm
My personal hunch is that with the new research coming out on physical changes in the various regions of the brain that cerebral geography will be come more and more important.

On the other hand, Craven isn't pre-med--or looking for a career in counseling.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:34 pm
This could be totally irrelevant Craven but what's your preferred learning style? I mean most of us know it intuitively (mine has always been written, I prefer doing my own reading and research to listening to a lecture, I'm not an auditory learner).

Anyway just in case it's of interest

http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:57 am
goodfielder wrote:
This could be totally irrelevant Craven but what's your preferred learning style?

Autodidactic. I prefer to learn what I want when I want. Structured education is something I find very useful in that it establishes a curriculum and provides a clear sequential path but I don't follow it in the same way most do.

I work on a PDA during class, and speed read the textbooks. When I hit something interesting I usually take it online and read about it.

I tend to read to learn more than anything else, but will usually use auditory methods for things I learn by rote, so that I can do it while doing other things like driving. Right now I'm doing Japanese in the car, so I have my rote time taken.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:18 am
Goodness.

Where on earth do you find cutting edge research stuff on the net?

I have tried, and anything (re the brain eg) is expensive, (in subscription journals) or not there.

Or so I have found.

You are a good researcher, but I really have not found good, reliable and current stuff in my areas of interest on the net for free.

Where oh where?
0 Replies