Germs on computer keyboards?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:53 pm
I keep a little bottle of a non-water germicidal hand cleaner. Not so much for germs, but sometimes my hands feel grungy after a long auto trip. The cleaner really freshens you up!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:42 pm
I take those along on most of my trips where washing hands might be difficult. c.i.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:03 am
I don't have a germ phobia or anything but I do think they should clean down those poles you hold onto on trains and buses at least once every so often.

I was on a train and holding onto a pole that was greasy with something or other (my mind was frantic thinking of all sorts of substances). I had no glove, or tissue to use and I was dying to get off. I couldn't find any other place to hold on that wasn't grubby and so the next time I brought some of those handy wipes and I really did wipe down the surface before I held on. I got some strange looks for about two seconds and then someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if they could have one too!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:14 am
good thinking heeven.

I don't like those hand sanitixing gels, they freak me out a bit. But, there sure are some nasty places that freak me out more than the hand sanitizers do.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:26 am
Heeven:

So...you want us to sit on our computer boards?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:29 am
Heeven:

The poles on the subways in Boston are slimey! Yes!

Do you know why?

Many Bostonians lack hankies and so what do they do when they sneeze or even want to blow their noses? Sneeze in their hands or blow their noses in their hands and THENNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...wipe their hands on the POLESSSSSSSSsss.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:35 am
New Haven - just pointing out that the ole fingers are grubbier than the bum! Although I have heard of people photocopying their bums and not wiping off the glass (not me I tell you). Imagine that little scenario next time you go to copy your resume in work!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:03 pm
And please, don't forget to wash your hands before you go to lunch....... c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 02:09 pm
I went on vacation one time and when I returned it looked like I was given a new computer. monitor, and keyboard. Nope - the computer tech guys took it and sanitized it! It was pretty cool.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 05:57 pm
husker, Send those computer tech guys over to my place. We have three computers in our house that need sanitizing. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:03 pm
When someone in the family is ill, I do my best to stop the spread of germs, so I'm fussy then. If it's the stomach flu, everyone else can use another bathroom 'til you're better. If you've got a cold, wash, wash, wash your hands, and I do clean ... okay, disinfect the phone receivers. If you're sick, your towels go in the laundry after you've used them, and I may even change your bed sheets every day, though that's just to make you feel more cozy.

Oh, yeah, and when my kids were small, they touched n o t h i n g in a public washroom. Have you ever noticed how many people do not wash their hands?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:07 pm
no sanitizing the keyboard. The central vac takes care of the dust.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:25 pm
CI, this is an indication of just how tough bacteria are:
Quote:
The Surveyor probes were the first U.S. spacecraft to land safely on the Moon. In November, 1969, the Surveyor 3 spacecraft's microorganisms were recovered from inside its camera that was brought back to Earth under sterile conditions by the Apollo 12 crew.

The 50-100 organisms survived launch, space vacuum, 3 years of radiation exposure, deep-freeze at an average temperature of only 20 degrees above absolute zero, and no nutrient, water or energy source.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:31 pm
Mr Still, It's not how long certain baterias can live in hostile conditions, but those like SARS that started in Southern China that the scientists can't seem to identify. That's what scares the daylights out of me, because I love to travel. I guess China is off limits for now, and the Yangtse is gonna be flooded before I get a chance to cruise it. c.i.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 09:04 pm
CI - You won't pick up a respiratory infection from your keyboard, I'd say the worst thing could be verucas (warts). To be honest, the very worst possible place to get the nastiest infections are hospitals - there are forms of staphs and VRE (Vancomycin-resistant enterococci) that make a stay in hospital quite risky.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 09:39 pm
Mr Still, I've very aware of the germs one can pick up in hospitals. Many people get sick from the germs in hospitals, and end up with worse problems than what they initially went in the hospital for. **Is that ending a sentence in a preposition, again? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 11:45 pm
Some folks come out beyond being just sick. Like I always say: You're not really sick till some medical professional has made sure of it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:21 am
I've worn some of the letters of my laptop keyboard, and it doesn't seem to slow me down at all. (Did anyone else learn typing in school on a blank-keyed typewriter? Touch-type or flunk!)

As for the germs, people who share keyboards and phones should definitely be cleaning them from time to time, IMO. It makes me very grateful for my little cubicle and not having to share!
0 Replies