Putting your Pet down... When is the time?

snood

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 07:30 pm
As if to give me hope, after 24 hours refusing food or snacks, Joe took some of both today. The vet gave me this quality of life survey/scale that helps you try to objectively (yeah, right)quantify when your cat is suffering too much.

Anything below 21 points is still worth living. 21 or over is not.
Joe only scores about 13 right now.

I don’t know which would be worse- holding on to him for too long, or letting him go before he needs me to.

Thanks you guys. It helps that some of you have been through this.
chai2

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 08:05 pm
@snood,
FWIW snood, when it was Simi's time, I don't know how to explain it, but she told me.

I know all the people here who love their pets can understand that we looked in each others eyes, and something changed in them as she met my gaze, and she told me "I don't want to do this anymore."

She didn't look at me like that any time before in her long life. Wasn't pain or anything, just, "I'm done."

Stood up, called the our vet who is 3 blocks from us, and we went in. They made it a very special and comfortable experience for her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 08:27 pm
I hate it when anybody's pet gets put down. To me the pets are family.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 09:50 pm
@snood,
I might not be right, but if Joe is showing interest in food I'd hang on to him a little longer. Keep each other company a little while longer.
snood

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 10:49 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, I am leaning that way now, GB. He has nibbled at his dish a couple times and taken some treats, too. I’ll stick with him awhile longer. I’ll watch close for things like him deciding he’s through eating for a longer period, or he starts showing signs of serious discomfort/pain like hiding from me or recoiling from being petted.
0 Replies

jz1990

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 11:35 pm
Looking at this thread makes my heart aches so much. I can't even think of putting them down Sad . But just in case I would do that if pain stoppers are not helping him anymore.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 06:33 am
Wow, what a difference a good drug regimen makes. Joe is maintaining pretty well these days. He’s on a daily regimen of appetite stimulant, anti inflammatories, anti-nausea and potassium supplement. Gained weight. Seems pretty comfortable most of the time. I’m counting everyday as precious time.
chai2

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 08:54 am
@snood,
That's such good news snood.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 09:05 am
@snood,
Great news. Honey, our 10-month-old female Cockapoo are rooting for you both.

My previous mini Poodle Jellybean sadly passed away last June of natural causes. That was tough on my and my significant other, Marvelously Maxine. Being so attached is a good thing even though it feels so hard when they’re ill.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 09:21 am
@husker,
I haven't read - Other, than the OP.

I give not One iota of Shiite for people - I absolutely care (The opposite) for 'other-than'.

Be kind to ALL animals - Or I will Be displeased.

Have a lovely Day

0 Replies