Putting your Pet down... When is the time?

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:32 am
Husker
husker wrote:
We have an appointment this afternoon at the vet. That's the best now I believe.

You already know this, but your true love is letting him go to end his suffering.

BBB Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
Banjo R.I.P.
You were good to this family and for this family!
9 years old.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:30 pm
<sigh>

Rest now, Banjo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:08 pm
<sigh>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:28 pm
I raise a glass to Banjo, Husker and family's loyal friend and companion.

And another to all the well loved dogs from our past, present and future.

And another to our dear husker and his giant heart.

And now that I'm tipsy and sentimental, maybe he'll tell us a happy Banjo story.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:09 pm
Banjo was a registered Sheltie (people like to think they are miniature collies but that's not really the case). We got Banjo when he was 18 months old from an elderly lady that was unable to keep up with his energy as a young pup. He was nearly perfectly trained for a young guy and was so maintenance free he fit our family to a tee. Banjo was our lap and house dog. You would have thought that we were his pets. He thought he was our protector, he was as big as brave as they came as long as they never entered the house. Friends, Strangers, and delivery guys thought we had a 100lbs of mean scrapping dog behind the door, that was actually a very good thing. But the reality was when our friends would enter the house he would head for the hills to hide and was slow to warm, but never did bite anyone.

Always under our feet and close at hand to be touched and groomed. His biggest joy was just to be close to us and be held, he did love to go for walks. He didn't like wrestle or fetch, we think he thought he was too mature for that, he used to just sit and watch our Golden Retriever do those things.. He and the Golden were best of friends. I don't think I can ever remember a fight between them if you can believe that.

Banjo never had a lick of human food until we discovered he had cancer, and that's when we decided he deserved some of the finer things, actually it was very fun. When I would go to the hospital on my return he'd jump into my lap to be petted, he also was not a big licker, this was in our opinion a pretty great deal. He was a nose nudger.

We think we was pretty close to the perfect companion, friend, and pet for our family.

Thank You for all your thoughts and comments, I did contact my Mrs and Daughter in Mexico to let them know, we shared a memory and tear. They actually are sorrow filled but relieved that he is not suffering anylonger.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:14 pm
Oh for the last 1 1/2 hour we were at the house where we are dog sitting
for a:
Great Dane puppy 160 lbs
Blood Hound 100 lbs
Charpte (sp?) 70 lbs

Well this is my son's job but I think he noticed that the Great Dane and Bloodhound had a special affection for me. These are all raised as house dogs. Should be an interesting 2 1/2 days,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:30 pm
You're a good guy, husker.

It's not easy saying goodbye to a loved friend.

Thanks for the Banjo stories. I'll snuggle my doggies tonight and tell them about your boy.

The Rainbow Bridge Monday night candle ceremony
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:34 pm
Great story, husker. Banjo was a champ!

I love stories about how dogs came to join families. It really seems that the dog chooses the family as much as the family choose the dog.

Thank you.

Rest easy tonght, my friend.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:21 am
tribute to a dog
George Vest's tribute to a dog

From a speech made in 1870, when a man's dog, a foxhound named Drum was shot. His owner sued the man who shot Drum. There was no evidence even, but after he finished his speech, the jury was in tears. They fined the man $500, even though the maximum fine was $150.

It is claimed that George Vest was a 19th century lawyer defending a client.

Gentlemen of the jury, the best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son and daughter that he has reared with loving care may become ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him when he may need it most. Man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees and do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our head.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his DOG. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground,where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing and reputation falls to pieces, he is as content in his love as the sun in its journey throught the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast into the cold, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard him against danger, and to fight against his enemies. When the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws and his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

-Senator George Vest, 1870.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:35 am
all my love to banjo and to you husker.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:00 am
Banjo was the best dog in the world.

every dog is when he's loved.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 11:11 pm
Sorry I was late getting here, guys. Sounds like everything went as it should. I was asked many times over the years whether a pet should be put down, and, if so, when. I always gave the same response. You, the owner, will know when the time has come, and you will know far better than I. You will not want to admit it, but you will know. When you come to that realization, call me, and I can help him go out easily and painlessly. Usually, the owner looked at me like I had three heads, but almost all of them told me later that I was exactly right. Essentially, I told them that as long as life was fun for the pet, they should be allowed to continue to live it. However, as soon as it was an ordeal rather than enjoyment, it was time for it to end. I grieve for your loss, but all pet owners, including me, have to endure the same heartache. The only real drawback about having pets is the unfortunate fact that we will outlive them.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:16 am
Oh, Husker. I just got back in town tonight and read about Banjo. I'm so sorry you had to do this while your wife & daughter were gone. Hope you aren't too lonely. (((HUGS)))

Banjo was a very lucky dog to have found such a great family.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:08 am
I'm reading this thread just now. I'm sorry, husker. It's a very difficult thing to do. I know, I've had to do it many times now. Whenever I've tried to make this terribly difficult decision I always ask: is this critter getting any joy from life? Is it just plain too hard to keep going? If the answer is "yes" then it's time. Then I generally have to wait till I feel strong enough to do it - get my head around the idea. A day or so, usually. Sounds like this is the process you've gone through, husker. I really sympathize. Damn it, these critters can break our hearts, can't they? Sad
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 06:37 am
I see this an old thread, so don’t know if anyone will read. I had to put down my cat George two years ago, and now it’s about that time for his brother - my companion for almost two decades - Joe. His kidneys are failing and it’s a slow decline , but I don’t think I’m going to watch him just wither away.

I don’t think I’ll ever have another pet. This hurts too much.
chai2

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 10:13 am
@snood,
I'm sorry snood.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 04:44 pm
@snood,
I had a cat with the same problem. He used to sit beside me at the dining room table. When he could no longer make it up the chair, I decided it was time.

No more pets for me, either. It does hurt too much. And, at 75, I don't want to die and leave the poor kid to sit around, wondering why nobody comes to feed him.

My present cat is going to be my last.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 05:12 pm
@snood,
My sincere sympathy. The sting is felt for a long time but it does get better.

It tore me (then single) up when my 2 cats, 17.5 and 19.5 yrs of age, passed on in 2008. I went through this again just 6 months ago, when, unexpectedly, we lost JellyBean, our 10-yr-old mini French Poodle. Every day we had her, she was a joy and a treasure. This was a hard one as it was a surprise.

We've recovered but slowly. Finally, we decided to try again. We’ll be getting an 8-week-old puppy (mini Cockapoo) after Xmas Day from a breeder. At age 69, this will be my last one, I swear it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 06:58 pm
@snood,
Snood, I'm so sorry. It is so hard but you will know when the time is right.

I just went through this twice in the last several weeks. My 13 year old dog, Diamond, and my cat of undetermined age (we'd had her for 17 years), Biscuit, died within 3 weeks of each other.

Every time I say I won't get another one seems to fall from the sky into my lap.

The weight of losing a beloved companion never gets lighter but it does get easier to bear.

My thoughts are with you.
0 Replies