Questions for writers

edgarblythe

Tue 11 Oct, 2022 01:40 pm
I consider the following to be a great beginning sentence, despite the ridicule:

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents—except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

It is forever quoted and remembered. I would be grateful to a society that made an industry of repeating a sentence of mine, however the critics may regard it.
The Anointed

Sun 16 Oct, 2022 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, that night was dark and stormy
How's that for an old cliche?
The blinding rain was pelting down
And I somehow lost my way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 08:06 am
The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.
MAYA ANGELOU

How easy is that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 1 Nov, 2022 06:40 am
Ezra Pound died fifty years ago today.

In a Station of the Metro –

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Tue 1 Nov, 2022 12:45 pm
I think usually, but not always, a good fiction writer has to be a somewhat sociable person and also deeply introspective and capable of spending large amounts of time alone.

It's difficult to create characters out of thin air. I think they have to be based on a personal experience with people, good and bad people. The odious person you would ordinarily shun could be the basis of an antagonistic character.

I'm not a very sociable person at all and would find it difficult to write fiction, my main genre being nonfiction.
edgarblythe

Tue 1 Nov, 2022 12:47 pm
@coluber2001,
You could write after Proust. I bet that would work.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Thu 9 Mar, 2023 01:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Depends on the context and audience.

suanter sounds like "strut".

"Player-232321A ____ up the block after he left the club house smelling of cloves"

I could see like five or six words that would communicate and depending on the reader would translate well or not.

0 Replies