8

Questions for writers

1  
Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 08:19 pm
Question Three: How do you name your characters?

1  
Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 06:09 pm
I don't have a rule or formula for my choices of names. The last character I gave a name to was a judge. I call him James Mason. In one instance I had a group of five men, come to kidnap the women, in Spelville. I just juggled sounds and names until I came up with Edgar Snossil, Jerry Peasalt, and three I can't recall at the moment. I tried to give them personalities befitting their names. I named one western Character Mean Jay Lee Lewis, deriving the name from Jerry Lee Lewis. One rancher who was a sort of dumb jerk got Elmer Ford. A woman in the Mexican Red stories was modeled after actress Katy Jurado. I named her Katy Ramirez, a combination of Jurado's name and the character she played in High Noon, Helen Ramirez.

2  
Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 08:18 pm
I know it sounds odd to non-writers, but characters tell me their names.

I had one as Jodie James and could not hear the character's voice until I typo'ed and it was Josie James. And then the character became clear to me. So, now she's Josie James.

Two tween girls were always going to be named Kitty and Mink. It wasn't until I was writing them that they got last names—Kowalski and Lopez, respectively.

I have named some characters after people I know (with permission, of course). Many people love that. A few years ago I needed a ton of names to be terrorists and asked a large FB writing group. Got a lot of volunteers.

The book I'm currently editing is a space opera. The ship is mainly populated with people I went to high school with, a fact that makes me smile.

1  
Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 08:41 pm
@jespah,
I sometimes slip in last names of people I know but in such a way they can't be confused with the actual people.

1  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2022 09:52 am
Editing my latest, I discovered I changed a man's name from Jay to Ray halfway in. I just finished making him Ray throughout.

1  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2022 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
How about Johnson?

1  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2022 10:29 am
My names are mostly just surnames.

I usually pick names of people I went to school with and if I didn't like them I give them a sticky end.

When I wanted a Dutch name I googled a Dutch phone book.

I didn't get any further than A.

I opted for Alkema, that sounded good enough, no need for Bs.

1  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2022 12:41 pm
I named a bonobo chimp Grape simply because I felt like it. No particular reason.

1  
Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2022 12:32 pm
Question Four:
Indie or traditional?

1  
Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 05:29 am
I had thought seriously about taking Mexican Red to a traditional publisher. The first one I checked out that receives westerns unsolicited expects us to put two spaces between every sentence. That's a lot of sentences. I wonder how prevalent this is?

1  
Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

On Twitter I got educated about it. Getting hundreds of responses. Almost sorry I asked.
Mame

1  
Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 02:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I learned typing, we always put two spaces after a period (unless it was the final sentence). It just makes it easier to read. Compare this to:

When I learned typing, we always put two spaces after a period (unless it was the final sentence). It just makes it easier to read. Compare this to: When I learned typing, we always put two spaces after a period (unless it was the final sentence). It just makes it easier to read. Compare this to:

1  
Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 03:53 pm
@Mame,
I get it. But computers space the letters differently than typewriters, and most publishers prefer the single space now. For other purposes it's according to individual taste.

1  
Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 07:52 pm

Peter M Neeves
liked a reply to your Tweet
Wow, I just told the manual typewriter story in 2 replies and then researched it again to discover it's bogus!
Single space after FULL STOP is a result of publishers cutting costs by reducing the amount of page space per publication!

2  
Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 08:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Save page space! And then, using signatures of 8 pages, you sometimes end up with up to seven blank pages at the end of a book!

2  
Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 08:33 am
What is kerning? Kerning is the spacing between individual letters or characters. Unlike tracking, which adjusts the amount of space between the letters of an entire word in equal increments, kerning is focused on how type looks — creating readable text that's visually pleasing.