Home generators

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2022 06:19 am
I want to buy a dual fuel home portable generator for 1467 sq ft 2 story house. What generator manufactures should I avoid? Champion and DuelMax seem most popular ? What about Westinghouse, Wen, and Generic generators?
Next question, how do you install a portable generator into house electrical system?
Is it possible to feed generator current in house via electrical cord plug in outdoor electric socket?

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2022 01:17 pm
@KnowSolution,
- Generic is the big brand around here.
- I'm usually a fan of dyi projects, but a home generator is something a qualified electrician should install. You need to have separate breakers and have it set up so that you cannot have the generator cross connected to the power company.
- I have back powered the house from an outdoor electrical socket in my youth and it wasn't a smart idea (but it did work). First, you will have to contend with the GFI circuit which is going to flip out when you try to back power the house. Then you will face current restrictions, both on the electrical cord, then on the breaker for the outlet. Finally, you will have to get power to both sides of your breaker box. A house is typically wired with half the house out of phase with the other half so that if you need 240VAC, you can connect across the two. You will not have that so none of your 240VAC will work.
PoliteMight

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2022 02:11 pm
@KnowSolution,
It depends on the need. I would start with installing solar panels and even wind-power on your house side, and or roof. If the current is good enough you could make money back on your electrical bill.

Generators ( backups ) are for like if the electrical goes out and you have a fridge.

Then again you might want one built inside that activates automatically if the electricity goes out or even uses a battery source that could be changed while still being active ( but again that might be too much for you ?? ). Like maybe you have a backup electrical heater system in the wall rather then a Propane based system.
For this it would require research.

The most simplest is the typical fuel generator where you put gas inside and then plug your fridge inside of.

My opinion are American brands and or do your reading first. Right now I wish I had some solar or wind thingys because the electrical bill is nuts right now.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2022 02:21 pm
@KnowSolution,
Engineer has been on A2K a very long time.

He has a huge amount of respect here.

He gives very good advice.

Polite Might hasn't been here for very long at all.

To call his advice hit and miss is being generous.

Engineer knows what he is talking about.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2022 02:39 pm
@engineer,
(Generac)
0 Replies