How to remove oil sludge from generator motor

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 08:07 am
Greetings a2k community,
I'm new to this forum and my first time to own a generator.

I recently purchased a used Honda Eu7000is generator with 1900 hours. The previous owner did not perform oil change on a regular basis therefore the oil is brown and dirty. I also noticed oil sludge inside motor when I flash a light thru oil fill . And the plastic dipstick is brown stained.
Question: 1) Should I leave the oil sludge alone and just replace the oil? Or 2) should I try to remove the oil sludge? If so, what's the best and safest way for the motor to remove the sludge?

I appreciate your time and advice.
Thanks
Ryan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 251 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 10:10 am
@Ryan360 ,
Greetings to you, too...

Why not ask a mechanic? I immediately thought of power-washing, but given this involves oil, I don't know that that's a good idea. I'd certainly consult a mechanic.
Ryan360

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:00 am
@Mame,
Thank you. I will probably ask Honda for advice.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:09 am
@Mame,
Reminds me of the time I moved to Florida and bought a new generator. It sat in the garage for four years until I needed it when we had a storm that knocked the power out, well that new generator froze up when I tried to start it, probably because it sat so long and I never had the oil changed. Confused
Ryan360

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:22 am
@jcboy,
Actually this unit is working great. But the sludge is bothering me a bit. I probably should just leave it alone since the generator is working fine with no problems.

I was hoping someone in this generator forum have experienced with this oil sludge issue.

One day soon, I'd like to move to FL too.👍
Mame

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:24 am
@Ryan360 ,
There are a couple of people here who likely can help you once they see your query. The other thing is YouTube - it's my go-to for fixing things!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:25 am
@Ryan360 ,
I moved back to California, I was tired of 9 months of summer and the hurricanes. 85 degrees at 6am, that got old Mad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:26 am
@jcboy,
Yeah, I guess it'd be a good idea to start it up ever 6 - 8 months or so Smile I bought a snow blower (like a lawnmower) a couple of years ago but have only used it once since we haven't had a snow dump big enough. We got 4" the other night but my neighbour cleaned off my sidewalk before I could get to it. Damn. Smile She's 78 and up at the crack of dark.
jcboy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:28 am
@Mame,
Yep, I was told not to leave gas in it, I never put gas in it until I needed it but I'm sure after four years and the same oil is why it froze up on me. I just gave it away when we moved back to Cali.
0 Replies

Ryan360

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 11:34 am
@Mame,
Haha. Maybe she can take your trash out too.

*I'm trying to escape CA (Bay Area).
Mame

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 12:04 pm
@Ryan360 ,
She moves my bins for me every week! Pulls out the appropriate one for pickup and then puts it back. (I think she and her brother also secretly use my bins for their use and go through them for recyclables, ha ha).
0 Replies