(Environmental) Profiles for Iraq/Middle East Countries

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 02:09 pm
"As the Iraq war progresses, the need for a better understanding of the Persian Gulf region becomes increasingly necessary. Much of the debate on invading that region has focused on the military capacity of Iraq or the actions its government could take. Information on the economic, social, and environmental realities of that country and its neighbors could be informative to this debate.

Accurate information about the people and ecosystems of Iraq can raise awareness and inform discussions regarding this increasingly important area of the world and its valuable natural resources. WRI provides timely, accurate and easily accessible information on environmental, social and economic trends for all regions of the globe.

In this section, WRI draws from its much larger collection of information posted on EarthTrends http://earthtrends.wri.org/ to provide a specific look at Iraq and the Persian Gulf area. The maps and tables here describe not only political realities, but also the underlying social, economic, and ecological conditions of the region. Information is available on fourteen countries: Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, Israel (and the Occupied Territories), Lebanon, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and Bahrain."

Environmental profiles for Afghanistan and other Central Asian countries

Your comments are welcome!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,030 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 02:36 pm
Walter, You pose a difficult question for most of us uneducated about the Middle East. What seems more interesting at the moment is how the Palestinians have elected a PM that has some power to more or less circumvent Arafat. The US has frozen our aide to Egypt. The Saudi's are now talking about elections. It's too early to reach any conclusions about what these actions portend for the future. I guess we'll have to wait and see. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 02:43 pm
This is posted in the "International News"-category, c.i. .
And by special purpose not in "Politics".

"Accurate information about the people and ecosystems of Iraq [and other countries] can raise awareness and inform discussions regarding this increasingly important area of the world and its valuable natural resources."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 02:50 pm
Walter, One cannot divorce politics from economic, social, and ecological issues. c.i.
0 Replies