Law specialties

Kait

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 01:27 pm
I recently graduated with my BS in Electrical Engineering and am considering a career in patent law. I am also interested in corporate law. If I attend law school and specialize in one type of law (say, IP) and then decide I would rather focus on corporate law (after a few years in IP, of course), is it possible to make the transition? How difficult would it be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,907 • Replies: 1
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:56 pm
Re: Law specialties
Kait wrote:
I recently graduated with my BS in Electrical Engineering and am considering a career in patent law. I am also interested in corporate law. If I attend law school and specialize in one type of law (say, IP) and then decide I would rather focus on corporate law (after a few years in IP, of course), is it possible to make the transition? How difficult would it be?

Congratulations on your graduation. Some of my best friends are EE's who became patent lawyers.

Law school isn't like undergrad, where you specialize in certain fields. As far as I know, no law school offers anything like a "major in intellectual property law." At most, you can take some IP law classes as electives during your second and third years (and some schools have better IP classes than others). Consequently, if you decided to switch your focus to corporate law while still in law school, there would be no transition to worry about.

On the other hand, if you practice IP law for a few years and then decide to switch, you'd probably have to reorient yourself. Depending on what you were doing in IP and what you'd be doing in corporate, the transition might be difficult or it might be easy. It's impossible to say.
0 Replies