Airbnb's Love them or Hate them or don't care?

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:41 am
I recently heard on the news and then today read in Facebook that Airbnb is going to not allow "parties" at any Airbnbs. I guess this was put in place with covid to avoid large gatherings and then Airbnb decided to extend this going forward. I never realized this – but after reading the post in Facebook many people rent an Airbnb simply to have a large loud crazy type party.

After reading this, there was many comments where it appears that many people do not like that there are these short-term rentals. One for the parties if you live near one, another is that they feel it causes prices of long term rentals and housing in general to increase. Many also have had bad rental experiences – the place the rented was not near what was advertised. Others felt a hotel was a better value, or they preferred to have regular housekeeping, etc.

I recently rented an Airbnb and had a wonderful experience. It allowed us to have room for all that traveled with us especially with older children and their friends/cousins – we had a downstairs with a separate living area and another bathroom, gave us a nice fenced in yard to entertain family – no we did not have a wild party, was concerned of neighbors and finished up our gatherings by 7:30. I have only stayed/rented an Airbnb two other times – both were sufficient, clean.

Just curious your thoughts on these as my experiences have been adequate to excellent (the most recent one being excellent).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 733 • Replies: 15
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:51 am
@Linkat,
I have always had wonderful experiences with Air BNB/VRBO type rentals. I have four kids and when they were young, hotels were really inconvenient and expensive for vacations. I've rented homes all over the world at very affordable prices. I think it's a great program.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:52 am
@Linkat,
Over here the problem isn't airbnbs as such but second/holiday homes in general.

Rising house prices have forced many locals out of the market.

The town of Whitby in Yorkshire has just passed a, (non binding,) resolution banning the sale of second homes.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 09:36 am
@izzythepush,
curious - do you think it is in certain areas? Like resort type places that are the issue?

For me, I have only rented from areas that not necessarily high tourist areas in itself but more because of visiting family -- although it could change with my kids being young adults now - sharing one room gets more awkward as your children get to be adults and also the second bathroom is great to have with so many people.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 09:44 am
@Linkat,
Yes, certain seaside towns and country villages are very susceptable.

Covid increased it, staycations meant more property was snapped up.

The UK is one of the most densely populated countries in the World.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 10:02 am
I’ve never stayed in one but know friends that have and they all said they would rather stay in an AirBnB then a Hotel anytime.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 11:42 am
One thing I find that they do well - is they request that both the renter and the rentee provide feedback. And you do not see the other's feedback until after you post yours. This keeps people as honest as possible - so if I were to say bad things about the rental, the renter would not know so would not be influenced by what I say - you can however, respond to what the other feedback if you feel it is unfair.

If you have not used Airbnb - what happens is you find the dates and place you would like to rent, select the info and request to rent. The renter can turn you down - so for instance if you had some bad reviews, a renter may not want to rent to you, they and you can also ask any questions you want - like my renter asked what the purpose of my visit was for. Of course you could like and state business and then you hold a wild party, but it does help both parties a bit more.

The funny thing is I found out that the family that brought the dog - had rented before elsewhere for a wedding. So this was the BIL and his wife and some of their adult children. Someone within the family (not the BIL or wife) caused some damage - resulting in them having to pay for damages. I guess it was on their Airbnb review so they had difficulty finding a place that would rent to them, resulting in them paying more money.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 11:56 am
@Linkat,
Airbnb are terrible excuses which are damaging the Hotel experience. Okay your renting a room, for X amount of days. Might as well just call it what it is. "A half-way house" like the one in "Forest Gump" his mother was running ( which she was really running as an under the bar prostitution business to pay the taxes ). You have people who are renting out rooms for the same price a homeless person with public assistance would get in one shot. $700 a room.

I do not agree with them at all. Things could get hostile because these are private homes where people have access to the same area.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 12:12 pm
@PoliteMight,
Actually we did not rent a room - we rented an entire house.

They can be almost anything from a room, to an apartment, to a townhome, to a house, camper, tent, cottage, houseboat, cabin and I have heard of castles.

They can include pools, hot tubs, saunas, --- so these are far from half-way houses.

Have you tried one?

Hotels can be just as bad - I received a frantic call from my daughter once when they mistakenly booked a hotel room - it was like a motel 8 or something with a number in it (not 4 Seasons) - they had stayed at similar ones on their road trip with no issues - but this one was disgusting - smoke smell; appeared to be very unsafe and unclean - I managed to get them another room elsewhere that was nearby much nicer and get a refund.

So anything can be terrible excuses if you do not do your research a head of time.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
One of the "hotels" I stayed in in Amsterdam was well ropey, more of a hostel.

We only ate the breakfast which was already included.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 07:12 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Airbnb's Love them or Hate them or don't care?

1. Me being a homeowner, I would hate having an Airbnb as a neighbor.

2. I would hate having an Airbnb anywhere near my house.

3. I don't have any opinion regarding Airbnbs existing in other people's neighborhood.

4. Airbnb existing in other people's neighborhood wouldn't have any impact on me.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 07:18 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I recently heard on the news and then today read in Facebook that Airbnb is going to not allow "parties" at any Airbnbs.

1. I suspect that the neighbors that live near those Airbnbs are happy that parties won't be allowed.

2. I personally, wouldn't want to live anywhere near noisy neighbors.

3. I suspect many people wouldn't want to live anywhere near noisy neighbors.

4. Noisy Airbnb parties can be very annoying and inconsiderate to the neighbors who live near the Airbnb.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:16 pm
@Real Music,
Agree to all...and I think this is one of the cons.

I know we had about 15-20 family members over ... However we were not a 21+ club party going on. We had them over late afternoon\early evening ...playing cornhole, yard games and cards. The music level was reasonable and we packed up prior to darkness hitting.

Funny even though we tried to be respectful of the host and the neighbors...I still worried I would get a bad mark for having so many people over or missing throwing out one of the trash buckets or maybe making some stain somewhere unknowingly. But we did get a positive review ...not that we did anything really bad or anything, I guess I should realize there are really some inconsiderate people out there.

I guess I never envisioned airbnb being a place to hold a party but rather a place to stay while traveling. But reading a bit it seems some people have been doing this..using it to party.

I think that is the advantage of having the mutual reviews...if someone does rent one out for this purpose I would hope the host would write a review stating this making it difficult for them to utilize this service again.

Both the renters and rentees want positive reviews if they want to continue using this service.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 12:02 am
I've used AirBNBs a few times, in Ireland, France, Spain, Norway. Mostly they've been good experiences. I've met some wonderful, helpful owners who will go out of their way for you, and some not so helpful. I usually look for apartments or studios - I want some cooking facilities, or at least the ability to make a cup of tea.

My poor experience was an AirBNB issue. The owners had removed their apartment from the listing some months previously, but AirBNB didn't advise me until the day before I was due to check in. So, the last day in my previous place was spent madly trying to find a place at such short notice, in a popular area (Lyon). They refunded my prepaid money, and offered me a 10% discount on a new place, but, as there was nothing available, that was pretty useless.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 12:54 am
@margo,
Yeah, 10% of nothing doesn't impress me, either.

Good to see you again, margo.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 09:11 pm
Thanks, Roger.

Good to see you, too!
0 Replies