Self-studying?

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 03:34 am
How should I go about studying physics by myself? It's always been a fascinating subject to me that I've always wanted to learn more about, but I have no idea where to even start. I'm going to go to college for it, but I'm taking a break from schooling (just finished highschool) and want to learn a bit more before starting. Any recommendations on how I should approach this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 620 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:07 am
@AnonymousMonkey,
If you do a search on your browser you can come up with several choices of physics books. I just did a search and came up with “physics for dummies“. Many of those books are pretty good and this one is highly rated by the users. Good luck.
On the other hand, I might just take a night course or a continuing education course
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 08:40 am
@Ragman,
Agreed, there are plenty.

I once won a complete set of "Beginners Guide" books, they're useful if you want to get your head around the basics.

The one on Islam taught me a great deal.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 06:27 pm
@AnonymousMonkey,
Studying physics is not the same as practicing physics. Because it is math related you need to master Calculus + Algebra + Trigonometry. Then you could tear into physics, buy beyond that even if you read you should be able to apply experiments that are simple or even researching how physics is being used in economy.

Again question is what are you trying to accomplish in this area of science, and what you will need to do.
AnonymousMonkey

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 02:18 am
@Ragman,
That's a pretty good idea, I think I'll go through and order the one that piques my interest and see where it goes from there. Thanks, Ragman!
0 Replies

AnonymousMonkey

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 02:20 am
@PoliteMight,
That's something I haven't really... thought of. I don't know enough to really decide what I want to accomplish, but with this in mind I think I'll start trying to figure that out while reading books before leaping further down this rabbit hole. Thanks, Might.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2022 08:27 pm
You can do a little introductory physics with only algebra, but anything beyond that requires calculus. You might find an elementary high school level physics book that doesn't go beyond algebra. It would be real physics. My first high school physics book was like that.
0 Replies