What is it LIKE to not believe in God...?

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:08 pm
(Addressed to people who don't believe in God or Jesus)
I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or set people up so I can berate them for their answers -- I'm honestly just curious...

1. Is the BIBLE what turns you off of believing in God, or do you just not LIKE God, did you have a bad experience with a religous finatic, or is it the lack of scientific proof...?
2. When good things happen, what do you think/feel/do?
3. How do you cope with bad things?
4. Do you pray -- to anything? What do you have in place of prayer -- pep talks to yourself, nice thoughts... nothing?
5. What are your principles as far as how you treat other people? (and what are they based on?)
6. If you're scared about something you can't act on, how do you deal with it? Do you wish, cross fingers, hope, ignore it...?
7. Is it scary to think that when you die, you just DIE?
8. Do you like people (anyone?) who believes in God -- ones of course who are nice about it & don't condemn you...?
9. What happens if you decide to believe in God "just in case" or "just because"?
10. Have you ever tried doing something like -- picturing all the qualities that God would have to have for you to believe in him & like him... and then just go with it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,951 • Replies: 46
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:13 pm
Believe it or not, atheists are like everyone else. We don't sweat the issues that seem to worry the religious. As for me, I can't say I dislike God. How can I dislike something that ain't real. Death? Gonna happen to all of us; why worry?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:28 pm
1. Is the BIBLE what turns you off of believing in God, or do you just not LIKE God, did you have a bad experience with a religous finatic, or is it the lack of scientific proof...?

Raised agnostic, nothing happened to change my mind.

Um, happy? Grateful even, though not towards any specific entity, more like the universe as a whole (which I don't worship in any organized way.)

Lots of ways. Depends on what the bad thing is. Talk to friends/ family, exercise, do something I enjoy... cope. <shrug>

4. Do you pray -- to anything? What do you have in place of prayer -- pep talks to yourself, nice thoughts... nothing?

What do you have in place of your trips to Jupiter? Oh, you've never been to Jupiter, you say?

Since I've never prayed, the "replacement" thing is not an issue. I write a lot (journal) and have a sort of ongoing internal dialogue, and hope for things, but prayer doesn't come into it.

5. What are your principles as far as how you treat other people? (and what are they based on?)

Common sense. Morality. (Which I don't think has to have anything to do with religion, and is in fact, I think, stronger without the threat of fire and brimstone. Stronger if you're doing it just 'cause it's the right thing to do, not out of fear.)

6. If you're scared about something you can't act on, how do you deal with it? Do you wish, cross fingers, hope, ignore it...?

I figure out what I CAN act on, and act on it. In fact, fatalism is a big part of what I dislike about religion. I find it much more comforting to think that I have control over my destiny than that it's all in the hands of some guy in the sky.

Sure.

8. Do you like people (anyone?) who believes in God -- ones of course who are nice about it & don't condemn you...?

Of course. Of the many things I decry about the current state of politics in America, it is the false dichotomy that has been established of Christian = hardline extremist Republican, and athiest = pinko commie liberal. I know many, many people who are both religious and people I respect a great deal (and some of 'em are even Republicans! ;-)).

I dislike proselytizers who don't get the hint, yes.

9. What happens if you decide to believe in God "just in case" or "just because"?

I wouldn't.

10. Have you ever tried doing something like -- picturing all the qualities that God would have to have for you to believe in him & like him... and then just go with it?

Not really. Why? I have no particular unmet spiritual need. I studied world religions for a while because I was interested, and know a fair amount about them and know which ones I like best. (My top three are probably Judaism, Buddhism, and Quakers.)

Throughout, I've kept an open mind -- is that my religion? what about that one? -- and the answer has been "no", throughout. I am comfortable with acknowledging that which is spiritual in an unorganized way -- and have no desire to change that.
0 Replies

peace is good

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:30 pm
Things religous people "sweat"...
I have some aunts & cousins who sweat stuff like -- "She/he's not a CHRISTIAN" (they're really judgemental & condescending about it), and some people are really uppity about defending God... and some people are finicky about missing church... is that what you mean?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:31 pm
Wait til Frankapisa sees this.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:39 pm
Waiting. Laughing
0 Replies

peace is good

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:41 pm
I agree that treating people good for its own sake is much better than doing it out of fear... And yeah, I would think there is a lot involved in "picking" one particular s-t-r-u-c-t-u-r-e to adhere to when it comes to believing in God & saying your prayers -- my belief (one I sort of made-up, if you will:) is that GOD (the God that really is) doesn't discriminate by religion... I just wouldn't think He cares about details like that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:46 pm
That makes sense, peace_is_good.

I think Frank would understand that this is a sincere query, and it's the kind of thing I enjoy answering. I have gotten a lot of questions like this from people of various religions when they find out I'm not religious, and they seem to usually come away not feeling so reflexively negative about agnostics/ athiests. Which is cool.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
Re: What is it LIKE to not believe in God...?
peace_is_good wrote:
(Addressed to people who don't believe in God or Jesus)
I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or set people up so I can berate them for their answers -- I'm honestly just curious...

That's a good thing, because trying to "set people up" at this site could get you in deep trouble--you'd probably be way out of your league.

Quote:

This is more than one question. (1a) The bible (a word which simply derives from the Greek word for book, it merits neither capitalization, nor being shouted--which is what all caps means to people online) is derived from a variety of sources, many of which are older--most notably the Gilgamesh Epic. At many points in the old testament, the deity described is capricious, abitrary, violent, ill-tempered, self-indulgent, barbaric and puerile--certainly not an admirable figure. The new testament portrayal of the alleged Jesus has some serious warts, such as blasting a fig tree for having no figs (even though figs were not in season) and destroying the livelihood of an otherwise unoffending swineherd on a whim--two more examples of capricious and arbitrary willfulness. There is little attractive about the portrayal of the deity of that book, if one reads it carefully and does so without a pre-disposition to consider it a true account of a real being.

(1b) It is rather hard to say whether or not one likes god unless one knows what the putatitve god is like--and based on the bible, there is nothing very likable about that character. Furthermore, knowing that the book is the work of a primitive, bigoted people who were noting loathe to slaughter and enslave the innocent does not make their putative deity very attractive.

(1c) It seems hilarious to suggest that one would have a good experience with a religious fanatic, or a fanatic of any stripe. Fanatics rarely make good company, except for those who share their fanatical point of view.

(1d) The lack of any form of logical proof of the existence of a deity, let alone proof of a scientific character, gives me little reason to accept what appears to be nothing but the mumbo jumbo of frightened children.

For the first set of questions altogether, i simply note that there is no good reason i've ever known to believe in gods or goddesses, so i don't. As for the ultimate question, i simply don't care whether or not any god or goddess exists.

(2) What do you expect, that those who don't believe in a deity are people of truncated emotion, incapable of feeling joy, of appreciating their own or someone else's good fortune? This is perhaps the most idiotic and insulting of your questions.

(3) The same way all other humans deal with misfortune--by working to overcome any deficient circumstance and getting on with life.

(4a) This seems an awfully silly question. To what would someone pray were there no deities evident to him or her?

(4b) This assumes that prayer fulfills a common human need without which the person is incomplete. That also seems awfully silly. Certainly those who are without deities would have occasion to boost their own self-confidence, and it is once again insulting that you don't seem to understand that people who do not have your belief set are capable of positive thoughts and actions. The sort of arrogance which assumes that other people are incomplete or incapable of positive thought or action without sharing superstitious belief is one of many things deplorable about fanatical religionists.

(5) I treat other people well unless and until they give me reason to act otherwise. I am motivated by the understanding that none of us is capable of living well without the help of others and that participation in a civil society requires civility of me no less than of others.

(6) Once again you present an insulting picture of people incapable of dealing with the world without resort to superstitious behavior. The things which might frighten me over which i can exert no control would have to be described in detail before i could answer such an otherwise silly question. To what do you refer? Fear of death? Fear of assault and bodily harm? You need to make that nonsense clearer if you hope for a reasonable answer.

(7) No.

(8) Yes. (As a side note, anyone condemning me because i don't subscribe to their superstitious belief set would be ignored.)

(9) This is another fairly incoherent question. Someone who made such a decision wouldn't be the object of your questions, now would they?

(10) I would consider it an exercise in childish fantasy to believe something simply because it is an attractive idea--which is pretty much how i see theists in the first place.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:53 pm

I think the Bible is exactly what it is: a book. I don't see why people would have souls any more than an ant. Except people have well-developed minds that can think of things like "we're going to heaven! YAY!"

I streak nursing homes and college campuses when good things happen.

But seriously, no different than how a religious person feels, except for the part about thanking God.

I streak nursing homes and college campuses.

I try to cope with a clear and logical head.

When I drink enough, I pray to the porcelean god.

I used to pray. Then I realized some things happen that are out of your control, and some things happen because you make them happen. I don't really have anything in place of prayer.

Religion and having morals are two different things, even though they can be tied into each other. Other than being a wise-ass, for the most part I try to treat people the same way I'd want to be treated. Too bad some women just don't want to bang me the same way I do them.

I punch myself in the nuts and pee on my neighbors car...at the same time.

I haven't been very scared of much in a while...but again, deal the best way I can.

Kind of sucks to think about, but what are you going to do?

You'd have to be pretty closed-minded to not like someone simply for their religious beliefs. I don't care what other people believe in
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:53 pm
Why would a person want to believe in a God when you see all the grief it brings. I look at idiots like Bush and the religious fanatics in the Middle East and you would think that if they didn't have these weak minds and the need to act so foolishly because of their gods, then the world would be a better place.

Religion is evil.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:24 pm
1. I have many reasons that I do not believe in God. Its not at all that I don't like him or don't like the bible. It just isn't credible.

2. Yay

3. I usually think up the most logical solution to whatever problem I'm dealing with and then act.

4. I don't know if you would call it a replacement, but a lot of the time I will just try to think things through or meditate. Sometimes I will consult with friends if I have a problem. These methods seem to work better than prayer.

5. Usually whatever makes sense morally.

6. If you can't do anything about something, why try? I basically just wait to see what happens.

7. Not really. I've come to accept it quickly. A heaven/hell afterlife would seem more scary to me, having to worry about which one your going to.
8. Yes.

9. I don't really find comfort in believing in a higher power. With or without it the world seems the same.

10. Why would I want to? Wouldn't that be deceiving myself? I wouldn't want to weaken my mind like that.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:11 am
peace_is_good wrote:
I stopped believing in the Judeo-Christian God after reading the Bible cover-to-cover. I realized that it is mishmash of ancient Jewish manuscripts that reflect evolving beliefs but is most certainly not the Holy Word of a genuine God.
Quote:
I think that I managed things well or was just lucky. I feel happy and am thankful to the universe in general. I do whatever seems appropriate.
Quote:
I talk to loved ones, whine and moan a bit, tell myself that it was a learning experience, and move on.
Quote:
No, I don't pray. I live with a lot of uncertainty, but just take one day at a time and know I can cope with anything life (or my job) throws me.
Quote:
After years of thought and discussion I have come up with 2 basic principles based on logic and empathy:

1. Don't cause unnecessary pain.
2 Love and educate children.
Quote:
I hope for the best and have confidence in my ability to deal with the worst.
Quote:
No. Is it scary to think that when you go to sleep your conscious mind turns off and your ego temporarily ceases to exist? Death just lasts longer.
Quote:
I like a lot of people who believe in God, and a lot who don't. I do not choose friends based on their beliefs. There are even some I can have rational discussions of religion with.
Quote:
Why would anyone do that? Do you believe in a God who can be fooled that easily?
Quote:
Why, when there are thousands of already made-up Gods to choose from? I would question the sanity of anyone who could believe in something they made up themselves.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:24 pm
Hi.

1. Is the BIBLE what turns you off of believing in God, or do you just not LIKE God, did you have a bad experience with a religous finatic, or is it the lack of scientific proof...?[/QUOTE]

The God that I learned about did not stand up to life as I experience it.

Quote:

Feel glad that I'm alive and experiencing it! Thank those that have helped me along the way.

Good question. There is a big difference in how you deal with negative things when you are without religion. I simply learned that good/bad are part of life; to roll with it. I stopped expecting the world to be 'perfect' and take the bitter with the sweet.

Quote:

I take walks and talk with friends. I do something that allows my creative brain to work, rather than just the rational part.

Do what works. Treating someone like crap will end up hurting me.

Quote:

I scream, hit the punching bag for a while, and then calm down and accept it.

No. It's scary to know that people suffer while they are alive, to me.

Quote:

Sure. I like all sorts of people.

That would be a bad move. That's hiding from what you know in your heart.

Quote:

Yes. But that is just playing with what I want, not what is.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
sorry about the mess in my post:)
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:16 pm

Just found it to unbelievable, except for some of the history.

Probably the same way you do. I just don't thank any supernatural entities. Except on Thursdays. I may thank the Invisible Pink Unicorn. But that's because I can't get the hang of Thursdays.

Just deal with it and keep going.

Why would I pray?

Common sense and how I'd want to be treated.

No point in being scared about something I can't act on. And worrying doesn't accomplish a thing.

Everybody dies. I think that's why folks made up gods in the first place. I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather… Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car

Kinda depends on the person, doesn't it?

My belief or lack thereof is not a light switch. Can't be flipped on "just because".

Why? I find the idea of gods rather silly. Don't feel any need to believe in something just to believe in something.
P
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:22 am
Peace_is_good, I think you're a little confused. It seems like you assume that not believing in a god puts atheists in a whole different mindset -- like we don't think the same way as religious people do... And I suppose that's true to a point, but it's not the whole truth.

But having once been a believer I can tell you that there is no difference. I simply don't think that a god has any effect on my life and, therefore, I don't think about god when I witness another beautiful day or see a baby open its eyes for the first time -- those things are what they are and no thought of god invades that moment. There's nothing else to it.
0 Replies

am1403

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 02:58 am
No. In my apprehension there are two reasons.
I believe that for belief/disbelief in God the way you are raised is very important. Therefore, it may influenced me coming from family in which rare members are believers.
It may sound strange, therefore, to hear that I had 4 years of formal scholastic religious education (age 6-10). It was held at school as non-compulsory subject, but it was taken by majority of students. The reason why my parents signed me in was because they didn't want me to wonder "what other children do there". I think that it has done some good to me by giving me some basic religious culturally curious informations.
After 4 years, it was my decision not to continue studies.
I have to emphasize, though, that during those 4 years my religious education was more of educational character, i.e.I attended it solely at school (not at church, nor I went to church regularly).
To summarize, my decision of being an atheist was based on family, but I was given chance, through education, to decide myself. And I decided not to.
I am content because of them happening, but I do not feel "thankful". I probably consider them logical consequences of my acts.
I review my mistakes, if done, to see what I can apprehend from them, and go on.
Nothing.
Perhaps I do have some thoughts of encouragement, but they aren't made in form of "nice thoughts", their form is better described simply as form of demand to yourself.
I respect other people, their opinions and beliefs, and expect the same to be done by them.
My principles, though based on education and the way I was raised - to behave properly, are mainly shaped by experience, whether personal or indirect.
There is a possibility of misunderstanding in this question. Is it meant to ask how do I deal with these things or how do I deal with fear?
Let me answer you in both cases, then.
If I cannot influence those things, I do not deal with them. However, very rarely I find things for whom I'd say I can make not even small influence.
Fear, in the other hand, I try to control. I dislike the idea of fear coming all over me and influencing me.
No.
Why not? My like or dislike of someone does not depend upon his religion or lack of it.
I have never made such a decision.
No.

I hope my answers may help you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 03:18 am
(I'm gonna be nice, folks!) Twisted Evil

peace_is_good wrote:

I grew up. I stopped "believing in" Santa Claus...and at some point later than that...I stopped "believing in" gods.

Quote:

I feel great when good things happen...and for whatever reason, lots and lots of good things happen in my life.

Quote:

As best I can.

Quote:

Occasionally, I "hope."

Quote:

Oh...I treat everyone with love and kindness and respect.

Quote:

Can't think of anything right now. I had cancer and almost died....and just continued to live.

Quote:

Not particularly. But who knows....maybe there is something after death.
Who knows???

Quote:

Only when properly prepared!

Quote:

C'mon. Do you know of any gods who would buy into someone "deciding to 'believe in' them 'just in case?'"

Quote:

Actually, I've tried something akin to that. I've tried picturing all the qualities that a god would have in order to consider it to be a fraud and a sham...and...

...well, I will carry on about that if you choose. Just ask me to expand on it if you are interested.

(How'd I do?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:38 am
(Beautifully. :-))

Interesting questions by the way, I've enjoyed reading the answers.
0 Replies