they feel like it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 616 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:18 pm
If you are a tenant-at-will, the landlord may raise your rent after notifying you that this is his/her intent. Usually this is done in the form of an eviction notice, accompanied by a proposal that you retain the apartment at the higher rent level. Unless, of course, you live in a rent-controlled building. In a case like that, the rent may be raised only by a specified percentage at the expiration of your current lease. If you have a lease in an non-rent controlled building, the landlord may specify any rent he/she wishes when it comes time to sign a new lease.

This has nothing to do with getting "minorities" out of the city. Quite the contrary: the wish of the building owners is to get the majority of us poor working slobs out of the city so that the minority -- the super-rich -- can have their playground to themselves. It has absolutely nothing to do with race. If you're black and have an annual income of several million dollars, you will be welcomed with open arms by all landlords. If you're black, white or green and can hardly make ends meet, they don't want you livin' in NYC to begin with.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:10 am
ok
Thank you for sharing. You said that poor people are "working slobs."
I dislike putting myself down and others. Why do you put yourself down? Poor folks are no different than rich people except for income.

Hey famous anchorman Petter Jennnings died on Sunday. Did you read about it? How about John Ritter who died September 11, 2003? Was John poor? We are alive and so many with power and money are no longer on Earth.

I want to add that I am a big John Ritter fan and in no way will ever make fun of him and what happened. I am just using an example. Basically, it is the same old story: the rich get richer and the poor suffer and go in reverse at the hands of those in power, right? This is why NYC rent is out of control, right?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:50 am
fdrhs -- that reference to "poor working slobs" wasn't meant to put anybody down. I'm a poor working slob. It's just an expression based on the assumption that that's how the wealthy five percent of this country look at us.

There's a thread on Peter Jennings' death on this site. Why not go over and share your sentiments about him? I did.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:16 am
Ya mean NYC finally abolished that rent control business?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:23 am
I don't think so, Rog'. But there's always been only a certain number of buildings designated as being subject to sent-control. I'm not sure how that works, how it's assessed, but most rental properties in NYC don't come under rent control.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:09 am
my folks have the same rent-controlled aprtment they got in 1968 (or 3 years after RP made the scene!)

i'm not sure exactly what they pay per month, but i'm pretty sure its less than a grand -- for a spacious 3-bedroom apt with high ceilings & wood floors.

the majority (maybe 75% or more) of the units in that building are now condo's...
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:31 pm
ok
The rent will continue to increase as long as there are greedy, rich folks in the world. Fortunately, everything comes to an end--for the rich and poor. We all go the grave. What landlord can stop that??????
0 Replies