Ode to the Avatar

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:23 am
Ah yes, sweet cider Gus will imbibe
Then entertain us with a jibe
That'll make us laugh until our caged ribs crack
And we all start to shout : "Sweet Gus, come back!"

Which leads into another song, Come Back, Come Back, Come Back Bridey Murphy. Oh, no! I do know ,Letty, when it's time to quit. Laughing

So, a happy day to everyone.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
and to you, dear Raggedy.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:46 pm
There is a song called I Remember Clifford-
I heard it many years ago; I think by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. I'm trying to remember it...I am thinking of a song in three/four time, am I wrong? Five minutes later, after thinking about this, I think the song in waltz time had a French name like La Divorcee de Leo Fall....Clifford Brown died in Paris, I think. Sorry, disconnected thoughts and distant memories.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 01:09 pm
Beautiful songs and poems, everyone. (And we know that Gus has a poet's soul that he's hiding.)

I remember that song coming up in a quiz about two years ago, McTag- (we didn't know it then,) but Benny Golson wrote it. And Clifford Brown did die in Paris... in 1950 something, I think. The end of the decade-- maybe '57?

And don't worry; I'm sure that everyone here agrees that your 'disconnected thoughts and distant memories' have bucketsfull of worth.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
It seems that I remember my friend, Bill, telling me that Clifford was killed in a car wreck, but I didn't know that it was in Paris, and I think he was still in his twenties.

We had a old seventy-eight called Jam Session that featured fabulous jazz artists, one of which was Clifford. Our young drummer borrowed it and we never saw it again.

McTag, On that record was the most fabulous rendition of "Heather on the Hill" that I have ever heard. Damn, I wish I had that album. I think the artist was Herb Geller, a tenor sax man. (Drom might know that one)

and, buddy, Drom is right...think of your meanderings as a riff in music.

Hey, I think that I just meandered myself Razz
0 Replies