The Real Reason

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
"I had motives for not wanting the world to have meaning; consequently assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption ... For myself, as no doubt, for most of my contemporaries, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation. The liberation we desired was simultaneous liberation from a certain political and economic system, and liberation from a certain system of morality. We objected to the morality because it interfered with our sexual freedom."

(Aldous Huxley, "Confessions of a Professed Atheist," Report: Perspective on the News, Vol. 3, June, 1966, p. 19.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 939 • Replies: 4
No top replies

xprmntr2

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
"I am talking about something much deeper - namely, the fear of religion itselfÂ…. I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn't just that I don't believe in God and naturally, hope there is no God! I don't want there to be a God; I don't want the universe to be like that." (Thomas Nagel, Professor of Philosophy & Law @ NYU, The Last Word, 1997, p.130)
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:57 am
You want no god?! but that's crazy - it's something people have believed in for ... enternity
it's something we can base our principles and ideas on , something to look forward to or dread.
man, i hate atheism
too much questioning
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:58 am
i just think we should, in these circumstances, believe and not question
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:10 am
Very good quotes and very good responses too. I'll be back.
0 Replies