Immigration and Mass Shootings

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 03:36 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I honestly find it a bit funny how some people view it like everyone is packing and ready to pull out a gun at least little thing.

I certainly don't think that. I have family and friends down there and I don't believe any of them own a gun, unless it's a family heirloom or antique. I think most Americans are sensible and honest and the ones I've met have been wonderful and wouldn't think of pulling "out a gun at the least little thing", if at all, so one would have to be a complete idiot to think that of most Americans.

Just because some of us don't want to visit due to safety concerns doesn't mean we don't like Americans or America. I hear the Mayan Riviera is riddled with cartels and violence. It didn't used to be. I won't go there again. I wouldn't revisit Colombia right down due to the fracas down there. There are so many countries with a safer record, that's all.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 03:40 pm
@Linkat,
I'm very happy for you that you live in such a safe area......I wish every American in this country could say the same thing. Unfortunately, they can't.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 04:22 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
“ Going to church or a festival SHOULD be safe, right? Well, for thousands of Americans who just wanted to enjoy life, it wasn't.

I feel safe – I go to these places and feel safe. I am just enjoying life and I feel safe. You say thousands – well the population in the US was over 320 million. Last year (and this is not to minimize the horrible violence or to diminish the loss of life – this is simply to show you – the real chance of being harmed in a mass shooting). Last year there was loss of life (including the shooters) of 705 and 2,800 injured which means your chance of being killed in such a way is 0.0002% and injured is 0.0009%.

My point is not to minimize this – my point is to realistically point out that visiting the US is not a death sentence and the chance to die this way is extremely low. The media sensationalizes these horrible things and it appears anyone not familiar with the US seems to think it is all about shooting and guns and that people pull out a gun and shoot at the least provocation.

It is an irrational fear to think you will walk off the plane go to the first fun place that has a group of people and there will be a shooting. Do you know I’ve been to countless baseball games, I been to church, I been to school functions and have never seen a gun! Yes that is life here.

Agreed that statistics are meaningless to those who have had a loved one killed in any means especially a violent one – that can mean someone driving recklessly, someone driving and not paying attention, someone driving impaired, it can mean someone shooting or stabbing or pushing you in front of a train, it can be a bomb in the subway. These things happen here and they happen elsewhere as well.

I am not going to get into politics (as I agree to most of what you are saying there) but my point was it is an irrational fear that you would avoid going here for that particular reason – but to be honest I am all for it because it frees crowds for me when I am traveling and vacationing.

Quote:
Why would I risk getting shot at while getting a coffee at McDonald's when I can goto pretty much any other country and not face that danger?”

Yes, a risk of about 0.0009%.
Mame

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 06:39 pm
@Linkat,
You can quote me odds and statistics all you want - I was in Montana in April and nothing happened, so yes, it doesn't always happen. But when you look at a map of where things happen (which I detailed above), it's all over the states (although mostly east and south), so why would I risk my life?

I'm not afraid to die. At all. It happens to everything that lives. And for me it's not about statistics and odds. It's not even about death. It's about KNOWINGLY walking into an establishment where it COULD happen, aware of all the crazies around. I could go to a law office in the US and be shot by a disgruntled ex-employee or client. For what purpose? Yeah, no. You can have your backward gun laws and your criminal and idiotic politicians and I'll stay here north of the 49th where guns are an oddity.

Anyway, Linkat, this conversation is going nowhere. You say Blue, I say Green... I say pax - enough.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 12:34 am
@Linkat,
I don't think Trayvon Martin being legally butchered in cold blood is remotely funny.

There's the morality about it.

This has been going on for years and years and you refuse to do anything to stop it.

A ban on assault weapons was lifted so more children can be butchered, and every time it happens the NRA has a victory parade.

Children were killed in Uvalde Texas and three days the people behind the slaughter are having a three day celebration in the same state.

A state where the governor made access to thebond market conditional on supporting violence.

This is a country where women are losing their repoductive rights and the poor are refused medical treatment.

Where's the morality in any of that?

And I am not going to be lured to a country where I can be shot down like an animal by someone using the stand your ground laws as an excuse to kill a subhuman Brit.

As for crowds, we could do with having the occupying army removed, the one that murdered Harry Dunn with impunity.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 06:00 am
@izzythepush,
The Houston area where I live has been surpassing Chicago for shooting deaths. A simple trip to the store down the street can result in death.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 06:04 am
@edgarblythe,
When I stayed in Austin the person in the house next door to us was shot and killed.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 07:20 am
@izzythepush,
My youngest brother used to have road rage so severely that he viewed every single driver as an enemy. Riding with him I would finally give up and sit back, trying to nap. He would shout at me, "He nearly killed YOU." I was in fear for my life around him. Then he moved to Dallas. When I saw him a few years later, he was as docile as a declawed toothless kitty-cat on tranquilizers. I didn't question him, but my guess is somebody cornered him and made him feel he was going to die.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 09:00 am
@edgarblythe,
I remember seeing guns in the back of car windows, my friend who worked at the British Cobsulate didn't feel safe driving, he wascareful not to make eye contact with anyone.

That was in the 80s.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 09:22 am
@izzythepush,
The old west shoot 'em ups are looking tame compared to the 21st Century blow 'em aways.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 01:34 pm
@roger,
It has nothing to do with immigration.

2001 came and nobody wanted war but before that let me tell you a bit of what our violence problems were in my area.

1. Gangs. Wanna-be asking for money, to forcing people in their pre-teens for their money. I could not wake up and not hear bs.
2. Not prostitution but the fact the 1990's was positive in terms of sexuality.
What changed after 2001 was anti-privacy abusing the patriot act and attacking heterosexual peoples to creating more jail time for something that was natural.
3. Rap music and the mentality that came with it. Along with discrimination. In my opinion was a complete out right racist joke where just by having a light skin complexion, being some what dedicated to studies, you was a target. The amount of pregnant girls that otherwise could lead normal lives. So far a majority of shooters all rotate around negativity towards rap music.
4. The lack of peace. In the 1990's we had a movement for peace. After 2001 it was nothing but propaganda against these imaginary terrorists and discrimination for almost anybody who look like Islamic stereotype.
5. Obama being elected was not really that great the problem was his stance on LGBT. That being said nobody care about the war and people just elected Trump out of that one fact. It was back to "Oh it was for the taxes"
6. Trump stance on immigration was about not honoring the POW rights. POW who have been on US soil ( this includes embassy ) are allowed the right to have citizenship in the US. These camps ( as with WWII Japanese camps ) basically instead of inviting them ( like the Germans was invited ), they wanted to ship them back. Tons of people from Iraq, Afghanistan, and other nations have since moved to the United States.
7. Hillary talk about "Super predators" meant to actually attack men but especially men who are not European ( white enough ). That being said back in the Clinton Administration was setting up for the anti-privacy along with the right to run privately own prisons ( where much illegal activity is carried out ).

Point being nobody is trying to cure the problem ( method of thinking ) because USA wants that thinking for Military people. Thus producing-mass amounts of idealize infantry, and other types in the military.

That hospital shooting was justified. That man was ignored by his doctor. He is afraid of his health and the medical doctor/physician was ignoring him like some kind of movie star.

If the doctor said "please come in we will check you out" maybe those lives would have been saved. For all we know he hang the phone up in his face ( most likely the secretary ), or was not taking his plead for help serious enough. So they guy believed he was having internal bleeding.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 01:39 pm
@roger,
That's the problem there Roger, in the US Polite Might is allowed to buy all manner of assault rifles.

He shouldn't be allowed to handle spoon unsupervised.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 01:44 pm
I look for Ted Cruz and Dan Patrick to demand every citizen be gifted an AR-15, at birth. That way there will always be a good guy with a gun present.
0 Replies