Another Devastating School Shooting: Uvalde, Texas

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Assault weapons are not necessary for home defense, and, because of the high powered rounds that they deliver, are detrimental fro that purpose.

Nonsense. Assault weapons fire rounds that are fairly low powered.

InfraBlue wrote:
A home defender is just as likely to shoot a bystander in the next room or next house with his assault weapon. A shotgun is a much better weapon for home defense than an assault weapon.

Better yet would be a hunting rifle like the AR-15.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:03 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
As InfraBlue pointed out, assault weapons aren't really suitable weapons for "home defense" or much else.

Most people who own assault weapons just have them for the joy of firing at targets on full auto.

As previously noted, existing restrictions have prevented "assault weapons that are legally owned by civilians" from ever being used to commit crimes.

hightor wrote:
You guys are really hooked on this scenario, aren't you — what are you imagining, something like you see in the Central American banana republics or Somalia, with paramilitary groups and warlords?

Actually I'm not hooked on that scenario.

I find progressive claims that "guerrilla warfare will never work" to be ludicrous in the face of modern history. However, I seldom engage such points for fear of being sucked into a long exchange over a point that I don't care much about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:32 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
There are many countries where people enjoy the same freedoms as we do – and probably more – where there is no automatic universal right to own firearms.

That is incorrect. Those places have no freedom. Free people have the right to keep and bear arms.

Europe is interesting though. Everyone always assumes that Europeans are not free, but there is a swath of countries from Finland down through Switzerland where people insist on being free.

hightor wrote:
This creed is sort of the bottom line for these people – doesn't matter how many innocent people are killed, "it's the price we pay for freedom".

Well, yes and no.

Yes, if gun ownership actually did increase the number of murders, that would indeed just be the price of freedom.

But no. Gun ownership does not increase the number of murders,
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:33 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
But right now, it's armed citizens who represent the biggest threat – vigilantes, paramilitary wannabes, and organized white nationalist groups. Firearms afford them power and what they think is "respect". Assault-style weapons embolden them.

Existing regulations have ensured that no "assault weapon that has been legally owned by civilians" has ever been used to commit a crime.

hightor wrote:
Yeah, in the first few years of our independence within a well regulated militia.

The right to keep and bear arms is held by the people, not limited to members of an organized militia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Assault weapons suck for home defense, and their specious worth thereof does not negate their detriment to the general welfare of the country.

Assault weapons pose zero detriment to the welfare of the nation.

Existing regulations have prevented all "assault weapons that are legally owned by civilians" from ever being used to commit a crime.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:35 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Experts in firearms are pretty much in agreement that a weapon that shoots through the target, then through the adjacent wall and into the next room are not appropriate for self defense during a home invasion.

Experts in firearms are pretty much in agreement that rounds fired from an AR-15 do not shoot through the target, much less through the wall behind the target.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Jul, 2022 11:38 pm
@hightor,
Tom Nichols wrote:
The Problem Is Gun Culture, Not SCOTUS

Only progressives think that freedom is a problem.

Tom Nichols wrote:
A win in the Supreme Court for the American right to threaten one another in public

Nonsense.

Tom Nichols wrote:
I used to think of myself as a gun-control conservative--I supported both the right to own firearms and the interest of the state to limit that right--but America's gun culture isn't about rights. It's about performative insecurity.

Tom Nichols hates our freedom just like the 9/11 hijackers did.

He is a prime example of why progressives belong in concentration camps.

Tom Nichols wrote:
The problem is not the Court's decision. The problem is an adolescent, drama-laden gun culture, a romance with weapons that became extreme only in the past quarter century.

Progressives and terrorists agree: freedom is a problem for them.

Tom Nichols wrote:
Don't take my word for it that things have changed. Here's Ryan Busse, a former gun-company executive who has now taken on his former industry, talking about the day someone showed up to a hunting party with an AR-15:

The unwritten rules of decency were enforced by firearm-industry leaders ... I witnessed how this worked many times, including one occasion when a young writer brought his own AR-15 to a hunting event I was hosting in 2004. The senior figures there responded immediately. "That's not the kind of thing we want to be promoting," they said. The newcomer was shamed into locking the gun up for the rest of the event.

That's the sort of nonsense that happens when you hang around with freedom haters.

Tom Nichols wrote:
This kind of affirmation of cultural norms can be a lot more powerful than any law, and I suspect that the gun-culture extremists know it. They head off expressions of this kind of social disapproval by being aggressive and performative, daring anyone to criticize them for feeling the need to be armed while getting milk and eggs at the supermarket.

It's funny how the serf mindset always shines through the cracks in the freedom haters' facade.

People don't carry guns because they feel a need to do so. They carry guns because they choose to do so.

Tom Nichols wrote:
You can be angry with the Court for furthering and enabling this weirdness, but it's not the Court's fault. It is, as usual, our fault, as voters and citizens, for tolerating a culture that is endangering our fellow Americans instead of insisting that all of us exercise our constitutional rights like responsible adults.

Our freedom is not endangering anyone. And we are in fact exercising our rights like responsible adults.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jul, 2022 12:15 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
A shotgun.

Short barreled shotguns are effective against a lone assailant who is not wearing armor.

They are not terribly useful against multiple assailants and/or assailants wearing armor.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jul, 2022 12:16 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
A 22 caliber is easy to aim, and it isn't as deafeningly loud as a 45.

I take it you've never fired a .22 mag from a gun with a short barrel.

How does the caliber influence how easy a gun is aimed?
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jul, 2022 12:17 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Only a baldfaced idiot believes they need an AR-15 to protect their home,

Again with the serf mindset. We don't live in the UK. We are not serfs. None of us give a hoot about need.

Plenty of reasonable people choose to defend their homes with AR-15s.

glitterbag wrote:
I think the idea of holding one makes them feel more masculine.

You shouldn't be trying to think. Maybe you should pull a blatham and let other people do your thinking for you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jul, 2022 12:18 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You guys just love to greatly outnumber someone, don't you? That's the liberal's standard method of fighting. I salute your great courage in joining a group of people already arguing with me. I guess I'll just have to kick your asses one by one. So, at the moment, I will argue with you and only you. When you're done, maybe I'll move on to someone else.

It's called a swarm tactic. All you need to do is focus on just one. The others can wait.

I think you guys are overreacting. I think this is just a matter of a lot of people seeing something in your posts that they want to comment on.

I personally don't mind multiple responses so long as they are constructive and not just the standard progressive name-calling. But even if you choose to respond to one person at a time, I don't think "multiple people responding to your posts" is a deliberate tactic. People just naturally respond to what interest them.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 06:18 am
Good lord, based on the time stamps, O spent 8 hours straight responding to basically every post across 3 gun-related threads. And some of O's posts repeat themselves in every thread. And O lives in Michigan (presumably) so this all happened in the middle of the night.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 06:31 am
@Rebelofnj,
His life is just one roller coaster of thrills and excitement after another.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:20 am
@Rebelofnj,
Seems like you have a lot invested in reading Oralloy's posts. They are pretty good, right?

He is a smart guy dedicated to freedom.
edgarblythe

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:22 am
@McGentrix,
Surely you're shitting us?
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:24 am
@edgarblythe,
This is the person who had "Grab them by the pussy," as his avatar

If someone rejoices in the sexual assault of minors they're unlikely to disagree with Oralloy.
McGentrix

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is the person who had "Grab them by the pussy," as his avatar

If someone rejoices in the sexual assault of minors they're unlikely to disagree with Oralloy.

You say this same bullshit a lot. What are you actually referring to? Is it about Trump's statements on the bus? He was referring to Arianne Zucker, who was born in 1974... Tell me where I have "rejoices in the sexual assault of minors"...

If you can't show your work, I'd appreciate it if you would shut the **** up about it.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:42 am
@McGentrix,
You can deny it as much as you want be we all remember you using that avatar.

If you were any sort of man you'd have the courage to stand by your own words.

Then again, if you were any sort of man you wouldn't need a gun to be noticed.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:44 am
@McGentrix,
You know full well he was referring to under age girls.
McGentrix

Fri 15 Jul, 2022 07:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You know full well he was referring to under age girls.

No one knows that except you. Your imagination and vile hatred are the only ones saying anything like it. I am asking you to stop associating me with your imagination.