Accumulated Parking Tickets -- any penalty???

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:03 pm
SOUTH CAROLINA

I have accumulated quite a few parking tickets over the past few years & I never paid them... but I haven't gotten anything in the mail about them. I've even gotten a reprint of my driver's license a few times (including change of address, fairly recently) -- but as far as I know, no one seems to be tracking me down for these unpaid tickets.

And now I'm getting paranoid... I just moved out of the state & am going to get a new license. Will my unpaid tickets catch up with me when I get my different-state license? Or would it come up if I were summoned to court for something unrelated? Or will they hunt me down years from now and throw me in jail?! Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,338 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:06 pm
I spent a day in jail for approximately $2000 in parking tickets. All in one town though.

If you are in a new state, you might get away with it.
0 Replies

peace is good

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
A day in jail for $2000 in parking tickets???
How did they finally catch up with you -- was it after a certain # of tickets?
Mine were all in the same town too. But NOW I'm moving
...Could you have avoided jail if you had the $ up front?
...How many tickets did you have & what state?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:24 pm
They had actually been looking for me for a while. I ended up working out a payment plan with the town.
It was a couple hundred tickets in a snobby town in New Jersey.

I fought the law... and paid out the ass.
0 Replies

peace is good

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:28 pm
Got an answer
I EMAILED THE CITY OF CHARLESTON:
I have just moved out of state, but I am worried about unpaid parking tickets in Charleston; I got 2 within the past 6 months & never received anything in the mail about them... so I'm worried about those, plus -- given that there wasn't anything in the mail for the ones I KNOW I got, what if there are more tickets I didn't know about!? How do you go about finding out how much you owe for parking tickets, and what happens to you if you have accumulated tickets you don't know about it (e.g. would they hunt you down 5 years from now & send you to jail?!)

THIS WAS THE REPLY:
We are able to check for unpaid parking citations by license plate number. We do send notices provided we have the registered owner's information. If we do not and there are unpaid citations then we have to go to a vendor that contacts various Department's of Motor Vehicle on our behalf so that hopefully the information can be obtained. This is a very timely and tedious procedure which can take approximately 3-6 mos. in some cases.
If you forward your license plate information I will be more than happy to check our system to see what tickets if any are outstanding and update you.
[officer's name]
Parking Collections Supervisor
City of Charleston
Revenue Collections Parking Division
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
I had a friend who got thrown in jail for a night over unpaid parking tickets too. I don't think he had more than a couple, either. He got stopped for something like a busted tail light, and then when they checked him out, that's how they caught him. But maybe New York is just filled with real hardass prick cops. I'm not sure what it's like in other states/cities.
0 Replies

austinsdaddy0105

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:07 am
In Florida, depending on the city policy, some cities do/do not report them. Some cities can/will issue a warrant for unpaid parking tickets. However unless the warrant out of state is willing to come pick you up over it then we won't take you to jail. It is a waste of our time. I would go ahead and give the officer your information just to have him check. Ask him if they will issue a warrant for unpaid parking tickets?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
If you don't pay them, they can put a warrent out for your arrest. That's always fun to get pulled over and hand cuffed, thrown into the back of a cop car and booked over parking tickets.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:04 pm
Check your pm box peace_is_good I sent you a note.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:14 pm
Aren't unpaid parking tickets what The Boot was invented for?
0 Replies

geofan49

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 10:57 pm
Some cities turn over records to a collection agency who gets a percentage of what they can recover.
0 Replies