Want to Join the Military? Check Out the Pay Scale!

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 07:57 am
Found a fascinating article which lists the pay scales and benefits for those people who choose a military career:

Link to Military Pay

What amazed me was the low salaries for entry level positions, and the paltry incentive pay.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 55,254 • Replies: 55
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:01 am
if i remember correctly when i enlisted in '62 my base pay was $62 monthly as an E-1
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:39 am
You sure will never get rich or above the poverty level on military pay.
I don't remember what my pay was when I enlisted in 47. But I do remember that it took only one trip to Waco for a couple of beers Embarrassed to clean me out for the month.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
That was my year of enlistment, too, dys. You remember correctly. We felt absolutely prosperous in 1965 or '66 when L. Mendle Rivers pushed through a significant pay raise for the military.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:21 am
Our son was a Captain with over 12 years of service when he resigned three years ago. His pay was close to $50,000, but that included "flight" pay. He's now working for his PhD at the University of Texas in Austin. c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:27 am
Housing sure gives a boost
0 Replies

Porfavor

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 04:03 pm
I remember $112 when discharged in "72" which was the highest private's pay on the base.

A corporal with 2 years in... got less pay.

As you can see I partied hearty after Vietnam... and became a little lax on "spit & polish" but...
it was the most pay I'd had ever had.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 04:50 pm
Porfavor, WELCOME to A2K. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 04:52 pm
BTW, I forgot what my pay was as a E4 back in the late fifties, but it was poverty wages. Was broke all the time. It's a good thing we had shelter and three squares a day.
0 Replies

whatis1029

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:36 pm
It's perverse that people who risk their lives in defense of American freedom are so poorly compensated!
0 Replies

usmcgotme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:57 am
I thank those vets first for your faithful service and sacrifices to make the military and this country what it is today. Second, for your defense to this absurd comment. I really want to point out that those of us who choose to serve this country realize the pay, and should know before we even sign the contract. But, I also want to point out that we serve the country unselfishly, like we could and other way, and realize that we wont get rich through the military. But, we do have little things here and there that we don't have to pay for so that pay scale can't truly be "accurate" or UNDERSTOOD by those who have not experienced it first hand. I am currently enlisted in the USMC and wouldn't have it any other way. I do not regret my decision whatsoever, and am very proud to put my uniform on daily. But, just keep in mind, that we do risk our lives for this country on nearly a daily basis, so that you may critize, if you'd like, or think whatever of the military. I take great pride in everything I do for this great country. As does every other service member currently serving here and abroad. So, just think of that every time you wish to critize the military for its pay rates or whatever you may choose to critize about.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:01 pm
usmcgotme- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Who is criticizing? I think that the service men and women are getting a raw deal. You folks put your butts on the line for the rest of us. IMO, you are entitled to a much better deal financially.

At the time that the article that I quoted was written

Quote:
After 36 years in the military, General Tommy Franks earns a base pay of $153,948, not including allowances and incentive pay. A typical corporate CEO, on the other hand, earns about $11 million a year.

I think that this country has some of its priorities bass ackwards!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:30 pm
Re: Want to Join the Military? Check Out the Pay Scale!
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Found a fascinating article which lists the pay scales and benefits for those people who choose a military career:

Link to Military Pay

What amazed me was the low salaries for entry level positions, and the paltry incentive pay.

What do you think?

What's the pension system like? Cool
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
Assuming no changes since I retired in 1971, the rule is this: 50% of final base pay if you retire after 20 years, increasing by 2 1/2% per year to a maximum of 75% at 30 years. There is also a COLA increase each year similar to Social Security increases. In all cases the pension payments start immediately upon retirement regardless of age.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
My old man served in the Marines and considers himself a Marine to this day. He too, jokes about the pay he recieved but also points out the hundreds of thousands his benifits have saved him on healthcare. A VA loan bought the house I grew up in as well. My old man will tell you there's plenty of benifits to serving your country, but like usmcgotme pointed out, that isn't the reason people join.

Welcome to A2K Usmcgotme!
0 Replies

KIOWA317

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:02 pm
I AM A WARRANT OFFICER PIOLOT IN THE ARMY, I MAKE OVER 50 G'S A YEAR WITH NO COLLEGE DEGEE I CANT COMPLAIN!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:12 pm
Kiowa, Our son was a captain with over 12 years in the US Air Force as a weapons officer, and he made 50 g's five years ago which included flight pay. He's since resigned from the service and earned his masters at the University of Texas in Austin, and he works for the army as a civilian.
0 Replies

Mrock4

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:00 pm
I'm just stopping by, but I am 18 years old, and recently enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserves. I am considering re-enlisting after my current enlistment is up, to go active duty (Assuming I think it is something I would be willing to continue). I will be going in as a 91W (Medic), and I leave for basic training in 16 days. The pay isn't great by any means, but for a minimum waige teen, it seems quite nice, although I must say for the risk, the waige is pathetic, but I believe in what I'm doing, so I'll do it. Just wanted to put my .02 in.

-Mike
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:22 pm
Mike, I think many youngsters out of high school with no plans or money for college enlist into the armed services. There are many positives of serving our country; our military today is more highly respected than back in the Nam days, the pay is a bit better, and the service can provide training for many that can be used in civilian life. Another good benefit one learns in the service is responsibility, respect for rank, and discipline. Most services work on the merit system, so if you produce, you make rank faster. Our son was promoted to Major in the reserves, and when I saw him in October, he was talking about going back to get in his 20 years in intelligence. His base pay plus housing allowance will give him about $75,000 which isn't too bad, and after he puts in another six years, he'll get retirement pay plus 'free'health care. No parent wants to see their children go into harms way, but he's old enough to make his own decisions about such matters.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:31 pm
Here's the pay scales starting on January 1, 2005.
http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/
Our son will earn about $78,000 with base pay and housing allowance.
0 Replies