• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,954 • Replies: 28
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2022 10:11 pm
@Yalow,
There is a great deal written about women film makers that started as long ago as 1920. Women were very influential in silent films (writer, directors, film makers)...some using their own names, some using pseudo names. Some were also actresses, such as Lillian Gish, Mabel Normand, Lois Weber and Nazimova that became very influential in films. The women I just mentioned were born in the late 1880's-90's.......I love some of those old movies. There have been many biographies written about these women and other women from the 30's, 40's and 50's. The women from those times always fascinated me, they struck out and became successful probably in a much less monetary way than their male contemporaries, but achieved success in ways we never thought women could. There were also a lot of women who made waves in political ways, it could be an Alice Roosevelt or Eleanor Roosevelt, Isadora Duncan, Ruth St. Denis.......they achieved a success that was extremely rare in their times.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 12:16 am
@glitterbag,
There was also Leni Riefenstahl, talented, clever, hard working,but definitely on the wrong side of history.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 03:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There was also Leni Riefenstahl, talented, clever, hard working,but definitely on the wrong side of history.

Leni was the first woman filmmaker who came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread. Must have something to do with age!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 04:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Was it the first film you remember going to see at the cinema?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 07:01 am
@izzythepush,
There were so many documentaries available after WWII and so many veterans and their wives watched them intently. As a child I remember my mother speaking bitterly about the friends and family that were lost during the war, when those films were on, my mother would curse under her breath......point out various war criminals and curse louder.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:27 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Was it the first film you remember going to see at the cinema?

Never have seen any of her films...just a few snippets that are shown from time to time. But she apparently was good at what she did. And there was a day where her name was front and center...which is why I thought of her.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:31 am
The first film I remember seeing (it may not be the first one I ever saw, but it is the first I remember) was a film starring Gary Cooper...The Story Of Dr. Wassell. (Just discovered it was directed by Cecil B. DeMille.)

Made quite an impression on me.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:36 am
The actresses Ida Lupino and Hedi Lamarr both directed and produced movies. I think Jodi Foster has, as well.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
It was a joke.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:43 am
@hightor,
I always thought Ida Lupino was one of the most beautiful women on the screen. I vaguely remember how she wound up directing her first film, I think a director was fired and she managed to convince the ownership to let her direct.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It was a joke.

When I was a very young girl I remember my parents took me to see 'Lady and the Tramp'. After the film I asked my grandmother if she had seen the movie, she said "Sweetheart, the last movie I saw was Birth of a Nation". The whole room broke up laughing, and after that I became very interested in finding out about the entire 'old' movie setup.
hightor

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:53 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I always thought Ida Lupino was one of the most beautiful women on the screen.

Yes! Definitely one of my favorites.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:54 am
@glitterbag,
I think the first film I saw at the cinema was Snow White.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 04:57 pm
@izzythepush,
I wonder if Yalow got bored?
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 05:10 pm
*snores*
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 07:58 pm
@Yalow,
So, I could have just answered YES, and avoided all the chatter about things you have no interest in......cool.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 08:01 pm
@Yalow,
Why? Are you asking about quality? Quantity isn't necessarily going to be the strongest suit in these decks.

There are many woman filmmakers. Are you asking about directors, editors, writers, or others?

A shortlist of famous female directors.
Marjane Satrapi
Kathryn Bigelow
ChloƩ Zhao
Kelly Reichardt
Jane Campion
Greta Gerwig
and one editor...
Thelma Schoonmaker
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 09:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Psssst, tsar.............I think it's a quiz.......
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 01:16 pm
Patty Jenkins is the director of the 2 first Wonder Woman movies, and will be for the third.