Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:42 pm
1) Sit down in your chair.
2) Write.
3) Re-write.
4) Write some more.
5) When you have reached the ending stop.

Note: Once your butt is in the chair you must stay there until you complete Step 4. Write.
Do not email anybody any really funny jokes. Write.
Do not post on this or any other forum. Write.
Do not Goggle or go to Snopes.com or any place on the WWW or the internet. Write.
Do not daydream about ideas. Write them down.

You are not allowed to make lists of things to do or make phone calls about anything unless you discover a fire burning under your desk.

Do not start a fire under your desk. Write.

Are you writing or are you reading this?

Hey. Are you still here?

Joe(Writing is hard, but not as hard as not writing.)Nation

Steal this idea.

Write
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:49 pm
I so love that line.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:55 am
Re: Writing A Book
fdrhs wrote:
What are the steps to write a book?

FD, you can find all kinds of excellent books on this subject at Barnes Noble or Borders (or for free at the library). But even once you know the "formulae," the bottom line is what Joe said: write.

What kind of books are you interested in writing? Fiction? Non-Fic?
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:02 am
ok
I am interested in writing math books for children.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:17 pm
Excellent choice.

Now how is your book going to be different from others already out there in use?

Joe(hmmm. Thinking about proposal....)Nation
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:49 pm
Hey Joe....I love the way you think.

one thing you missed...put the stupid phone on silent. Ignore the calls and if it is important, you can call them back. If they have "private" numbers, then they are not important enough. (wink)

Another thing.....sell your television set!!!!! Don't waste your time with such idleness.

One questions though, is a work of "art" or a "symphony" ever "DONE???????" Write, re-write, edit, proof, re-write it again. Get it published, and see where you could easily improve it again!!!!! The artist of the Mona Lisa never considered the portrait completed.

Another point to becoming a writer: forget it. Forget ever having a life outside of the creative zone. If you need to hobnob with the locals, play or run free with the wind carefree and pursuing useless endeavors, you will not be writing. Writing has to become an obsession, unless of course you just want to dabble in it here and there. But, then...why bother if you are not willing to sacrifice a little?
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:12 pm
dear fdrhs,

I couldn't pass up a reply to your request. I write and illustrate children's books for a living. I illustrate for an educational publisher. First, all the advice you've been given so far is great.

Let me ask you, are you a teacher? Most (maybe not all, but most) educational publishers require a teaching credential inorder to publish. My publisher does.

Nevertheless, trade publishers and picture book publishers are very open to books about Math and Science. But they have to be really cute and different. (Don't worry about illustrations, the publisher does that. Just make sure that you have an illustratable idea on every page.) I wonder what kind of Math book you are planning?

Write up a good description of your project. Include the age group, the type of math you'll be offering, and whether it is a single book or a series.

I'll check in with you later,
carlotta
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:47 pm
I liked all the suggestions so far. I am not an official writer, although I have gone as far as having a reputable publisher write me a letter of intent to publish, based on my ten page proposal, for whatever that is worth, and it was a while ago now.

But, I was married to a playwright/screenwriter. He was and is a good writer. I often liked his first drafts better than his later ones, and I read many drafts of many plays and screenplays. He was, I think, too aware of being not an expert but an "emerging" writer, and tended to rethink when various 'experts', teachers, people in the profession, offered comments, and then he'd do it over.
Many times the fourth draft was quite different from the original; sometimes it was equal to or arguably better at being an involving story. Most of the time, the verve of the piece just sort of fizzed away.

So, not at all being an expert myself, I'd say submit earlier rather than later, if you are doing a novel or screenplay. For a mathbook for children, that is probably not true...
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:20 am
Herema wrote:
Writing has to become an obsession, unless of course you just want to dabble in it here and there. But, then...why bother if you are not willing to sacrifice a little?

Yes, Herema, I have read in 3-4 of the books on writing that the mark of the true writer (even if s/he never publishes) is the NEED to write daily; the true writer CRAVES writing, can't stay away from it (that was what finally convinced me I wasn't a true writer Sad ).
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:25 am
fdrhs wrote, "What are the steps to write a book?" He/she didn't ask "what are the steps to becoming a good writer?" I think in this specific instance it is valuable to know what the author intends. While general advice is always helpful, it may not be enough advice for one whose passion is not writing, but educating. This is the question that only fdrhs can answer.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:04 pm
ok
I want to thank of who took time to reply. I am interested in writing math sos books for kids. I want to use cartoon characters to represent numbers as they talk their way into the minds of kids through easy lessons.
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:49 pm
fdrhs

please check my reply to you in the Math and Science forum.
I made a few suggestions, could make more if you want them.

luck to you
carlotta
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:58 am
good point, Carlotta. It is true that while fdrhs may not have a passion for becoming a good, or successful writer as a profession, there remains a desire to complete a successful book. A certain amount of dedication is required for any publication to get into the hands of the reader.

In addition to education in the area of writing or publishing, there is also a need to have a deep understanding of the desired audience.......the people, the readers.

All the advice we have had here so far is wonderful, but to bury oneself in a hole, joining the Starving Artist's Society and becoming a recluse does not make a successful writer either. We need that human contact where we can accumulate character ideas, words and phrases of thoughtful conversations, and even situations to be used in dialogue and thoughts of our characters.

If you want to write for children, gain an understanding of children and what appeals to them. Add this understanding to your knowledge which you want to give to them, and you can get their interest without alerting them to the fact they are learning something.

for what my 2 cents is worth (okay...25 cents at least.)
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
Topic: Writing for Children

True, Herema, those who wish to write for children have to know children, and like them. Knowing and liking children isn't enough, but it is the essential first step.

Those who want to write AND PUBLISH for children have to learn how to market their material. There is a very precise format for kids books, and a successful writer has to know what it is. Publishers seldom deviate from the format.

1. Children's books have a set number of pages (always in multiples of eight). 32 pages is the standard for most picture books. 40 pages, or sometimes 48, but more pages makes the book more expensive to produce, and publishers are less likely to buy.

2. Age appropriateness. The categories for picture books are as follows; under 2; under 5; 5-7; easy reader First -Third Grades. All picture books must allow for an illustratable picture on each page or double page spread. The best picture books let the art tell a part of the story that is not described in the text. Writers do not have to be illustrators. Publishers prefer to make that choice.

Chapter books for young readers aged 7-10, have fewer illustrations, andsimple but compelling stories. Word count, up to 15,000 words, 96- 160 pages.

3. Study the market! Books for children follow trends. Choose the publishers that print the kinds of books that you and real children love.

4. Read your manuscript to children. If you find yourself changing words or context as you read because of audience reaction, take it to heart. All picture books HAVE TO BE READ ALOUD. Most of the under seven set can't read.

5. Don't partonize, dumb down, or short-change young readers. Write to please yourself. If you are entertained, the audience will be as well.

I get windy on this topic. There is a lot more to know. I wonder how many in the Original Writing forum are interested in kid's books?
Might be fun to start a new thread for those who are?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
I think a lot of people are, Carlotta..
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:51 am
I think there are a lot, too. I am interested. In fact my first attempt at writing a book was a children's book. It is still resting in a drawer somewhere. Some of the best advice I ever got from a publisher was from Scholastic years ago even though I put it aside to raise a family.

and dont worry about being too windy....(grin) that's what writers are best at.
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:51 am
I am going to experiment with two new forum topics, one for picture books, and one for chapter books.

I hope everyone interested will give them a look!
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:31 pm
ok
I want to thank all for your quick replies.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:25 am
I started writing a book a few months ago. I feel like half of the material I write is awful, and the other half is up to par. I write a few pages a night, but I noticed I have to be in the mood to write, or what I write isn't as good. It's forced or something.
0 Replies