real life

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:07 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You have to be more specific to elicit a response, real life.

You're too smart to be effective at playing dumb, EB.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:10 pm
You still have to be more specific or I don't play.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:46 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You still have to be more specific or I don't play.

Believe me, I am not playing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
Neither am I.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:11 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Most of you folks are missing the point of what real and I are trying to say. How many broken bodies and psyches are you prepared to leave bobbing (perhaps literally) in the wake of this wave of technology?

It is very interesting. Some people are appalled by the entire idea of cloning, because it might not be perfect, and might produce defective humans.

On the other hand, many of these same people are horrified that a woman, after her amniocentesis shows severe defects in the fetus that she is carrying, chooses to abort the pregnancy, and are attempting to deny the woman that right.

How do you explain that?

Quality is only one issue of many here. Even if you are lucky or skilled enough to produce a perfect human through cloning, you have reduced that person's life to a commodity. He is your science experiment.

Ending a person's life because they are imperfect is another example of the debasing of human life. Assuming they would not want to live ill simply because you think you wouldn't want to is no rationale for exterminating them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:16 pm
Not so. It is simply another way to become pregnant. The parent will exhibit the same emotion, care for and love the child the same as with any other child. The only problem will be those who think it a freak show.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:06 am
Why is this topic even here?

All the countries that have legalised cloning have pretty much agreed on banning reproductive cloning, the very cloning you speak of here.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:09 am
When Phoenix wrote about heating, and medicine, and then people responded. Im guessing no one actually read her response, or the post before hers.

She was simply showing how we play "god" all the time. She wasnt comparing cloning to heating in anyways other than they are both ways in which humans take control of their lives.

Since (for believers) god controls the weather, by heating our homes, we are taking power away from god and giving it to ourselves.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
Cloning is not "playing God" any more than taking fertility drugs, in vitro fertilization, using some method to increase the odds of having a child of a particular sex, or aborting a naturally-conceived fetus with severe genetic defects. In any case, if we can prolong life with medical treatments, kill our enemies (real or imagined) and mold our world to our liking with dams, 100-story buildings, and the magic of electronic entertainment systems, why should cloning be singled out as "playing God"?

neologist wrote:
How would you react if you cloned a human who, after being born naturally, displayed some terrible defect of health or character as a result of imperfect cloning, but had normal intelligence? What would you say to that person when they realized how they came to be?

The same way I'd feel if a naturally conceived child was born with terrible defects, as so many millions are.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:55 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

All the countries that have legalised cloning have pretty much agreed on banning reproductive cloning, the very cloning you speak of here.

Worth repeating, I think.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:50 am
patiodog wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Worth repeating, I think.

In 1970 why were they bothering to talk about legalized abortion?

If it bores you go to another thread.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:50 pm
'Twas the second part I meant to repeat. Didn't even notice the first.

The reason I think the second part if worth repeating is that the issue is commonly portrayed as a false dilemma: either we submit to a future in which humans are cloned and grow to adulthood to satisfy the whims of science or we shut the door on cloning altogether.

The issue is a great deal more subtle than that. In my opinion, there is no reason why cloning for the sake of reproduction should ever be done. (But, then, I'm an ardently ZPGer -- if not an NPGer -- and I don't see the point in breeding people when there are perfectly good unwanted children out there any more than I see the point in purposely breeding dogs and cats when there are perfectly good unwanted dogs and cats out there.)

At the same time, I don't see a blastula as a sacred, untouchable entity -- particularly when those cells might be able to ease the suffering of people who are already out there experiencing the world. And I especially don't see the point, as many people do, of throwing away cells that already carry this potential rather than using them. If using cells from existing embryos for experimentation is disrespectful, surely incinerating them is doubly so.

That better?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:40 pm
Hi guys. Hope it's ok if I jump in here.

After reading these posts, I felt kinda disheartened.

Why are we bothering to discuss whether cloning is wrong or not?
Cloning is taking place, it has been for quite a long time, and it will continue to no matter our sentiments about it.
It is taking place all over the world. It is speeding along in countries that are not legislating on this issue.

So what are we gonna do about it? What CAN we do about it?How is it affecting life on earth?

Instead of quibbling over the details, let's share some info.
Please:)
Pretty please with garlic on top.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:02 pm
What do you want to know?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
patiodog wrote:
'Twas the second part I meant to repeat. Didn't even notice the first.

The reason I think the second part if worth repeating is that the issue is commonly portrayed as a false dilemma: either we submit to a future in which humans are cloned and grow to adulthood to satisfy the whims of science or we shut the door on cloning altogether.

The issue is a great deal more subtle than that. In my opinion, there is no reason why cloning for the sake of reproduction should ever be done. (But, then, I'm an ardently ZPGer -- if not an NPGer -- and I don't see the point in breeding people when there are perfectly good unwanted children out there any more than I see the point in purposely breeding dogs and cats when there are perfectly good unwanted dogs and cats out there.)

At the same time, I don't see a blastula as a sacred, untouchable entity -- particularly when those cells might be able to ease the suffering of people who are already out there experiencing the world. And I especially don't see the point, as many people do, of throwing away cells that already carry this potential rather than using them. If using cells from existing embryos for experimentation is disrespectful, surely incinerating them is doubly so.

That better?

Cloning and Embryonic Stem Cell Research are completely different issues. One will result in a live human (if successful) and one will result in a dead one (if successful).

There has been considerable success in using ADULT stem cells and almost nothing worthy of note from using EMBRYONIC stem cells. In spite of this, the political left continually seeks political cover for abortion by claiming the absolute need for embryonic stem cell research. Not only ESCR, but ESCR at taxpayer expense or somehow we are dooming those with serious maladies to a future with no cure. This is the false choice that is being presented in the stem cell debate.

Abortionists seek a profitable market for embryonic stem cells. (They are denied this at present.) This would provide them with satisfying margins, (do you think they will give any of this money to the mother from whom the stem cells have been "harvested"? Don't hold your breath. ) as well as much needed medical legitimacy to deflect from the unsavoury image that comes from practices built on the killing of the unborn that is the base of their business model.

I agree that throwing away these embryonic beings is the wrong solution. Rather than throw away these "cells" (they are embryonic human beings), why not let them grow and develop ?

As far as human cloning, I think most people understand the moral evil in making someone's life your personal science experiment. But not all do, and there will be a continual push for it's legalization and legitimization.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:53 pm
They are not completely separate issues, especially from a regulatory point of view -- though I admit that I did wander a little far afield. Nonetheless, the same folks who object to using ES cells from aborted fetuses often object as well to any sort of cloning techniques that could create a viable embryo for the same purpose. Since the moral objections to both are frequently on in the same -- that is, it is wrong to create human life only to destroy it/experiment with it -- the two issues are intimately connected.

(edited to remove untintentional universal statement)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:07 pm
patiodog wrote:
They are not completely separate issues, especially from a regulatory point of view -- though I admit that I did wander a little far afield. Nonetheless, the same folks who object to using ES cells from aborted fetuses also object to any sort of cloning techniques that could create a viable embryo for the same purpose. Since the moral objections to both are frequently on in the same -- that is, it is wrong to create human life only to destroy it/experiment with it -- the two issues are intimately connected.

Yes you are correct that they both draw the same moral objections (and objectors in some cases. Though it is amazing how many pro abortion folks are anti-cloning. At least for now.)

When I spoke of their difference, I was referring to the results. But I'm tracking with you on the moral objections being common ground. They are.

ESCR is being pushed to gain political cover for abortion, not for any medical benefits it has provided. There are few, if any. ASCR on the other hand has been tremendously promising and offers none of the moral problems that come from killing an unborn to harvest his cells.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:29 pm
ok
How come people never learn not to play with nature?
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:42 pm
Because 'playing with nature' is what has provided us with civilization. Things like medicine, electricity, plentiful food, that sort of thing.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 09:52 pm
Agreed, DJBT.

From a Christian perspective, it is understood that God gave Mankind dominion over the earth and it's content, and also a stewardship responsibility to handle it responsibly.
0 Replies