Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:28 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,242 • Replies: 31
No top replies

cut up angel

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:57 am
I believe when we die, we stay perfectly still in the moment of death itself, just for a few seconds. Then we wake in a strangely familiar peace. Not awake,as such, but aware. Aware of our loved ones and aware of death. I also believe, after due time, we awake fully in a new body and a new life, reborn to the earth. I am an extremely strong believer of reincarnation. Is there anyone else out there who shares my views?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:31 pm
I really don't know. I guess we all find out when we die.

As of now, I do believe in reincarnation, but in a very primal sense. When I die, my flesh and bones will be eaten by worms and bugs, maybe wolves or fire....and I will be reincarnated as water, soil, maybe roses, maybe dog feces, maybe I'll be a weed: actually, I think I'll be all of this and more. What I think of as me now will die: the question of reincarnation as I know it will be irrelevent.
I just find it comforting to think that my blood will become roses:)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 02:22 pm
flushd- What you have so poetically stated, is the first law of thermodynamics. I heartily agree with you!

Quote:
In other words, energy can be converted from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:01 pm
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:07 pm
marking
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 09:04 pm
We are stardust
We are golden
We are billion year old carbon
Joni Mitchell

Compared to the great vastness of the cosmos, the ocean of deep time, my individual existence is a blip, a bubble in the foam on the surface of a flowing river. I am a momentary arrangement of atoms and molecules - an arrangement that lives and moves, to be sure, an arrangement that thinks, laughs, appreciates beauty, dreams, and loves - but a mere arrangement nonetheless, a transient state, an ephemeral gathering. Soon the blip will go out, the bubble will pop, the arrangement will dissolve, molecular bonds released by entropy. My consciousness will cease. But the molecules that once were me will still exist. The atoms that made up my body - iron, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, all the heavy elements forged in the crucibles of dying stars - will remain. Liberated from their temporary homes, they will rejoin the rest of the planet, taking new shapes, finding new arrangements, becoming part of other life. I will, in a sense, become merged with everything.
I will be the momentary sparkle of sunlight on the surface of a flowing mountain stream. I will be high in the stratosphere, near that ineffable boundary where life-giving blue fades to violet and black. I will be subducted into the planet's core and join the three hundred million-year cycle of the continental plates. I will be the intense red and yellow of a tree's leaves in autumn, the flash and swoop of a dragonfly's glittering wings, the sleek white bolt of a deer's tail, the brown feathers of a soaring hawk, the silver scales of a leaping fish. I will be in each drop of rain in a storm, each wave in the ocean, each breath of a newborn child. And billions of years from now, when our sun swells and blasts the Earth's atmosphere away, I will be there, streaming away from the charred remnant of the planet into space, to rejoin the stars that gave my atoms birth. In the fullness of time, I will become distributed throughout the entire cosmos. And perhaps some day, innumerable eons from now, on the warm, sandy shore of some inconceivably distant young planet, a molecule that once was part of me will take part in a series of chemical reactions that may ultimately lead to new life - life that will in time leave its primordial sea, climb up onto the beach, and look up at the sky and wonder where it came from.
And the cycle will begin again.

I wish I had written this, but alas, I did not.
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/stardust.html

P
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:25 pm
in answer to this Q. =Yes

Dont ask me what, because, I dont know.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:19 am
The bible's view is no:
Solomon wrote:
For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,)
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:00 pm
No, I do not think that there is life after physical death. Everything we know about the brain and consciousness indicates that the destruction of any part of the physical brain (whether due to drugs, disease, defects, or trauma) affects our experience of consciousness. Once the brain has been deprived of oxygen for more than a few minutes, it is no longer possible for consciousness to return even if the body is kept alive.

At the very least, consciousness requires some kind of patterned energy. There must be some kind of physical system to keep this energy from immediately dispersing, collect sensory data, process it, store and retrieve memories, and use it to create coherent patterns of thought. In addition, you will need biochemical processes if you want to feel emotions.

How, then, do you suppose that your alleged spirit can exist after the physical brain that produced the coherent brain waves that are the hallmark of awareness, is nothing but rotten meat?

Sorry, real life et al, but the Bible is not a reliable guide to anything.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:26 pm
Terry wrote:
No, I do not think that there is life after physical death. Everything we know about the brain and consciousness indicates that the destruction of any part of the physical brain (whether due to drugs, disease, defects, or trauma) affects our experience of consciousness. Once the brain has been deprived of oxygen for more than a few minutes, it is no longer possible for consciousness to return even if the body is kept alive.

At the very least, consciousness requires some kind of patterned energy. There must be some kind of physical system to keep this energy from immediately dispersing, collect sensory data, process it, store and retrieve memories, and use it to create coherent patterns of thought. In addition, you will need biochemical processes if you want to feel emotions.

How, then, do you suppose that your alleged spirit can exist after the physical brain that produced the coherent brain waves that are the hallmark of awareness, is nothing but rotten meat?

Except that it agrees with you, contrary to what most people think. Maybe you just don't know what it really says.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:36 pm
Terry wrote:

Certainly the conscious mind is dependent upon the body to be able to communicate with others around him. But you have in no way proved that the conscious mind ceases to exist without the body.

A slightly different subject but some interesting perspectives from those who have been "unconscious" :

Man Awakes After 19 Years in Coma http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/09/health/main562293.shtml

Coma Woman Regains Speech , Memory http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/12/earlyshow/main673707.shtml
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:25 pm
ok
We will all find out someday.
0 Replies

JAMESDG

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:33 pm
THE BIBLE CLEARLY STATES THAT FOR DUST WE TO DUST WE WILL RETURN. AND JESUS SAID THAT THERE IS NO WORK NO THOUGHTS OR NO MEMORIES IN THE GRAVE OR SHEOL. FOR THE CHOSEN FEW BY GOD TO GO TO HEAVEN THEY GO RIGHT AWAY LIKE THE APOSTILS, AND THE REST OF THE 144000 CHOSEN PEOPLE IN THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS THE REST OF US WILL WAIT IN OUR GRAVES FOR A RESURRECTION OF LIFE OR JUDGMENT. SO WHEN WE DIE WE ARE LIKE JESUS SAID WE ARE THINKING OF NOTHING IT IS LIKE WE ARE SLEEPING, NO THOUGHTS , NO DREAMS, NO WHITE CLOUDS IN HEAVEN.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:06 pm
...oh maaaaaaaaan!
please dont yell at us, we are not blind! Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 12:36 am
Hey Kiwi!

I don't think he means to yell. After he made this post, he posted somewhere else where it was pointed out that is what all caps meant. He just didn't know.

Good seeing you!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:36 am
We have to assume that "this is it." We have to make the best of it here, and that doesn't mean that we should strive to be "king of the dung heap." It means living in harmony with other people and nature. It means perceiving beauty even in the least likely places. It means seeing past personal egos. It means being so in love with life that our obsession with the future dissolves.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:37 am
coluber2001 wrote:
We have to assume that "this is it." We have to make the best of it here, and that doesn't mean that we should strive to be "king of the dung heap." It means living in harmony with other people and nature. It means perceiving beauty even in the least likely places. It means seeing past personal egos. It means being so in love with life that our obsession with the future dissolves.
0 Replies

-God-

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:47 am
It is the great unknown for a reason. The reason being the unending joy I get from hearing the varying views, opinions, thoughts, beliefs and need to believe in things that may or may not be true and may or may not happen. It is what makes human beings so wonderfully engaging, keen to learn, teach, experience, wonder, discuss, create. Without which, the world would not be the diverse and interesting place it is.
0 Replies

Poseur

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
Well, it all depends on whether or not we have a soul. Whether or not we're more than hormones conveniently arranged so that we believe that we have emotions. If there is something more to us than molecules, then there's probably an afterlife. I'm sorta leaning towards the belief that we're all psychopaths, though; that we're nothing more than chemicals.
0 Replies