Life As We Know It

fdrhs

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:25 pm
Will life as we know it end in our lifetime? What is your view?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 943 • Replies: 16
No top replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:03 pm
Re: Life As We Know It
fdrhs wrote:
Will life as we know it end in our lifetime? What is your view?

Life as I know it?
Yes. My life will end in my lifetime.
How about you? Do you have some shuffle room maybe? do you have a bargaining position or backup for some leeway?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:04 pm
I'll try to get back to you on this once I am dead.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:51 pm
ok
I guess my question is not correctly asked. What I meant to ask is: do you think life as we know it (human existence) will someday come to an end? The Bible teaches that life on Earth will not always be the way it is or has been. Maybe we will NUKE ourselves by some insane accident.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:18 pm
edit: just saw the last post...

I think the world will change one day. The sun is getting bigger(?), and science is developing, alongside with political issues. Hopefully we will change toward the better.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:37 pm
ok
In order for mankind to change, there must be a change within each of us and that can only be done by God. People have tried since the beginning of time to make things better on Earth but READ HISTORY BOOKS and you will see that we failed everytime.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:12 am
No. Compare today with the past. Certainly it is better today in most parts of the world than what it had been centuries ago. There is now a global awareness within most communities, and organizations such as Amnesty International and ones that advocate human rights are prevalent. Life expectancy is better and the UN has accepted the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Read history books?

Read the part where the major nations has agreed that war is not a solution to problem. Read about the Helsinki Accord and how in the third section it states that the signatories must respect human rights. Also read about the civil rights movement and how today in North America, racism has decreased significantly.

You could sit and say hey there's no hope for us, but that is as unrealistic as saying that we will certainly, 100%, succeed. Perfection may not seem probable, but betterment is, and as long as we have an ideal toward something, there is a chance that we will succeed.

"Heaven never helps the man who will not act" -- Sophocles
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:03 am
Re: ok
fdrhs wrote:
In order for mankind to change, there must be a change within each of us and that can only be done by God. People have tried since the beginning of time to make things better on Earth but READ HISTORY BOOKS and you will see that we failed everytime.

You call it God, some call it the Intelligent Design, and so everyone has his own way of calling it. No matter what is't called. It's not making me think what I think right now. I think the way I think because of the things I did, and the things people did to me, in the past. Everything I've been thru, everything I've felt and everything I've seen, noticed, makes me think about the things I'm thinking of right now. Not God, unless you call everything I've been thru (my past) God.
But, let us not change the subject of our thread.

I do think you are right about the fact that we've failed every single time when we tried to change our world. yet that's not completely true. See, from the moment we're born we are working on changing the world. And isn't it true that we're destroying our world as we speak? Millions of people are driving their cars right now, as I'm typing this text. Millions of people are destroying OUR, and with that MY, world to live in, maybe even without knowing it. But they are changing our world for sure.

And about that bible passage;
fdrhs wrote:
The Bible teaches that life on Earth will not always be the way it is or has been.

Life on earth has never been the same, not a single second. it is our own illusion making us think it was the same all the time. But we keep changing it. Trying to make it perfect while we can't even control ourselves.

People have always told me to live like there is no tomorrow, just like they do. Yesterday, while taking a bath, I thought about what they said. to be honest my hands started shaking, and my mind was working SO fast it was freaking me out. But I figured, this is why we are changing our world. Our own EGO, always ME, instead of what about them. LIVE LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW, don't think about our kids, and their children, and so on!

That sentence, the very core of our existence? I may certainly hope not. And happily for me, and most others, we are not all like that. But most are. And that is the only thing that frightens me.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:38 am
I hope not.It would be just my luck to be born of the generation that the end of the world/life happens in.

Tho I do find it coincidental that I exist around the year 2000, it seems such a significant number, nice and neat.
Not like I was born in 1645, and it would now bw 1676, oddly random numbers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:17 am
The other night I tripped a nice continental drift divide. Mount St. Edelite.
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Breshnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You symbiotic, patriotic,
slam, but neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:00 am
euhm, dude?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:48 am
Nothing lasts forever.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:57 am
For a long time, Man has been close to being destroyed by his own technology, and that is at least as true now as ever. If it weren't true, why would the whole international community be freaking out over Iran seeking nuclear weapons?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
You really think Iran wants to destroy America?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:33 am
Mathos

There is no person called "Iran" who "wants" anything. On the other hand there are sociological forces which are beyond the control of the governments of individual nations which like tsunami or earthquakes tend to overwhelm individuals irrespective of their political leanings.

What we are witnessing at present is an explosion in global communication which is a threat to less democratic regimes. We are witnessing the backlash. The "global factor" is historically significant and may indeed be sufficient to threaten "life as we know it".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 01:02 pm
Mathos wrote:
You really think Iran wants to destroy America?

I think that if country after country arms itself to the teeth with nukes and bioweapons, something bad will happen.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:44 pm
We are a bellicose lot when all is said and done.

Caine slew Abel.

It could be quite a formidable challenge a chosen few accelerated back to the stone-age.
0 Replies