Jewish terror attack

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:02 pm
Quote:
Crowd lynches Israeli bus gunman

A teenage Israeli soldier has been lynched after killing four people and wounding at least four others on a bus in an Israeli Arab town.

According to Israeli media, he opened fire after an argument with passengers as the bus arrived in the Galilee town of Shfaram from Haifa on the coast.

Police who evacuated the bus tried to keep the man aboard but a furious mob reportedly stormed it and killed him.

Israeli security sources described the incident as a "Jewish terror attack".

Some of the injured passengers are reported to be in a critical condition.

Mohammed Barakeh, an Arab member of parliament, said at the scene that the dead were Arabs and all residents of Shfaram.

'Police did nothing'

Eyewitnesses quoted on Israeli television described the gunman as bearded and wearing a Jewish skull cap and military uniform.

He has been named as Eden Tsuberi, 19, from the Jewish settlement of Tapuah in the West Bank.

Media reports said he was absent without leave from his army unit, and was a member of the extremist Kach party.

"It seems like Jewish terror against Arabs," police spokesman Avi Zelba told Reuters news agency.

Local people in Shfaram accused the police of double standards.

"If this attack had occurred in a Jewish neighbourhood and the attacker was Arab, he would have been killed immediately," one unnamed witness was quoted as saying by the Jerusalem Post.

"The police came and they didn't do anything... They were holding him alive in the bus."

Ambulances sent to the scene had difficulty passing through the crowds.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
Quote:

Aug. 4, 2005 18:16 | Updated Aug. 4, 2005 21:42

Jewish terrorist Eden Tzuberi kills 4 on Shfaram bus

By MATTHEW GUTTMAN, YAAKOV KATZ AND JPOST STAFF

In what police are calling an incident of Jewish terrorism, a Jewish man dressed in IDF uniform opened fire on a bus in the northern town of Shfaram Thursday evening, killing at least 4 people and wounding nearly a dozen more.

The shooter, Eden Tzuberi, 19, was also killed when he was assaulted by a mob of furied bystanders and witnesses. A crowd of thousands gathered around the site of the attack and surrounded the bus, where the attacker's body still lay.

Hundreds of police were dispatched to the northern town. Some forces were delayed in arriving on the scene owing to the large numbers mobilized over the past few days in and around Ofakim to guard against the infiltration of anti-pullout activists into Gaza.

Former OC Southern Command Maj.-Gen. (Res.) Yom Tov Samiyah said the shooting attack should not be isolated from the pending disengagement. He linked that attack to attempts by radicals to target different sectors of the public to divert security forces from the evacuation of settlements.

The suspect was a resident of the West Bank settlement of Tapuah and was well-known to police for extremist views. He was a member of the outlawed ultra-Right-wing Kahane Chai party. An IDF soldier, Tzuberi had been tried in the past for refusing orders linked to the disengagment plan, and had been reported AWOL from the IDF 77 days ago - still in possession of his army-issued firearm. During his short army career he served time in military prison on two occasions.

Sources in the Shin Bet said that they had received no warning of plans by Jewish extremists to attack Israeli Arabs. Far-right activists told The Jerusalem Post that they had seen the shooter at anti-disengagement events.

Ikutiel Ben Yaacov, the founder of the far-right Jewish Legion group based in the West Bank settlement of Tapuah, shared police suspicions that such an attack might be aimed at derailing Israel's plan to withdraw from the Gaza Strip.

"We hope that Eden's death will not have been in vain," said Ben Yaacov, and added that "his murder will derail this sadistic disengagement plan."

Furious mob surrounds bus

A furious mob of the neighborhood's residents stormed the bus in order to neutralize the shooter, trapping him inside. Police forces gathered inside and near the bus to guard the suspect from the mob, but owing to the crowds, could not evacuate him from the bus.

As darkness fell, residents of other towns joined the angered crowds while police worked to maintain calm.

An enraged witness to the incident said, "If this attack had occurred in a Jewish neighborhood and the attacker was Arab, he would have been killed immediately. The police came and they didn't do anything!" he said. "The police didn't even shoot the attacker - they were holding him alive in the bus."

Hadash MK Muhammad Barakei, who had joined the mobs in Shfaram, blamed the attack on what he said was a campaign of incitement by Jews against Arabs. "This is not the act of a single individual extremist," Barakei said. "It comes from a culture of incitement."

The attack: Tzuberi opens fire on bus 165

Tzuberi opened fire on bus 165 from Haifa to Shfaram as the vehicle reached the town's Druse neighborhood.

Shfaram is a mixed village made up of roughly 50 percent Muslims as well as Druse and Christians.

Among the victims were two adolescent girls and the driver of the bus. The shooter also directed his fire outside the bus, and the casualties included pedestrians and bystanders.
Source
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:59 pm
Terms of abuse
I dont think it is good idea to make sweeping statements such as 'Jewish' attack this kind of terminology whiffs of labelling. Surely no one is suggesting the adjective to describe the attack is jewish in the same way it would be iincorrect to describe the IRA's terrorism as a Catholic attack or the attack of Tim McVeigh as a Christian attack or the Bush invasion of Iraq as a Evangelical Christian Crusade?
We need to keep a check on reality when descriing acts of violence and terrorism.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
Re: Terms of abuse
stevewonder wrote:
I dont think it is good idea to make sweeping statements such as 'Jewish' attack this kind of terminology whiffs of labelling.

Even if the labelling is appropriate in the context? Read the post more carefully. It was the Jerusalem Post that called the guy a "Jewish terrorist". If the JP can't call someone "jewish", then who can?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:25 pm
You probably missed that I only quoted Israelian sources:

Jerusalem Post wrote:
In what police are calling an incident of Jewish terrorism, ...

When you look at yesterday's/today's Israelian papers, you'll see that all use this term.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:39 pm
And even Sharon called it such (copy from today's JP frontpage):

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/51/jp3um.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:03 pm
I hate to condone mob justice, but, um...the f*cker got what he deserved. They beat him to death? Good. I hope it was a slow, painful beating.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:47 pm
kickycan wrote:
I hate to condone mob justice, but, um...the f*cker got what he deserved. They beat him to death? Good. I hope it was a slow, painful beating.

Why do you hate to condone mod justice given your sentiment about it?
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:14 pm
thanks walter for the extracts.
Even if the newsppaers reffer to it in this way i still say its wrong.
I think the media usually starts off most labels these days.
An attack cannot e described as jewish or christian, i dont think, its too much of a generalization, sure we can see the person may have caimed to be jewish or christian but the attack was criminal or terrorism but it was not jewish or christian.
i mean is the invasion of Iraq a secular or even a Christian invasion given that the administration is Christian or secular?
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:22 pm
i hear on radio the two killed by this guy were 2 christian men and 2 moslem women, he only stopped when his magazine ran out and ent to put another in.

I wonder.... do you think they will create a shrine for this terrorist like they did with Baruch Goldstein??

They probably will.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:37 pm
I had been thinking that the protests against Sharon's disengagement would be largely non-violent and peaceful, what with the demonstrations and civil-disobedience that have occurred so far. One terrorist attack is an aberrance, but then again the Jewish Israelis demand of the PA that Arab/Palestinian terrorism be reduced to zero before they negotiate a peace settlement. What about zero Jewish terrorism? The fact is that any variance from the status quo, of which Israel has the upper hand, incites Jewish extremism and results in Jewish terrorism as in the examples of Goldstein and Tzuberi. I'm afraid that this is a portent of things to come with more Israeli concessions to the Arabs/Palestinians.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:49 pm
stevewonder, "Jewish" not only refers to a religion, it also refers to an ethnicity. That the media, and Sharon himself used the terms "Jewish attack," and "Jewish terrorist" reflects the fact that they weren't talking about religion, they were talking about ethnicity, and illustrating the distinction thereof. Tzuberi, a Jewish Israeli, specifically attacked other Israelis because of their ethnicity, Arab. The Israel/Palestine conflict is largely centered around two opposed ethnicities, Arab and Jewish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:18 pm
Right, InfraBlue, it is a ethnic distinction.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:22 pm
About the terminology: It was a local Jewish terror attack.
A local newspaper omitted "local" as usual.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:57 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Why do you hate to condone mod justice given your sentiment about it?

Well, because on one hand, I understand that mob justice is not really about justice at all, but vengeance and uncontrolled rage; on the other hand, if I were on a bus and some guy came on and started shooting random people, I believe that I would very much want to jump on him and beat him to a bloody pulp.

It's pretty barbaric, but I understand it.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:15 am
......another goldstein
Quote:
Gunman's body to lie near his racist hero
Bus killer's family in burial site row

Conal Urquhart and Rishon Letzion
Sunday August 7, 2005
The Observer

The Jewish gunman who killed four Arabs last Thursday may be buried next to the killer he tried to emulate, officials at the West Bank settlement of Kiryat Arba said.

The funeral of Eden Natan-Zada was postponed on Friday after his family was denied the right to bury him in a military cemetery or civilian cemeteries near his home.

The 19-year-old boarded a bus headed for Arab towns in the north of Israel and shot the driver and three passengers, apparently in protest at Ariel Sharon's plan to withdraw from settlements in the Gaza Strip and northern West Bank. After the shooting he was beaten to death by an angry mob.

Now Natan-Zada could be buried next to Baruch Goldstein, a US-born doctor who killed 29 Palestinians in a mosque in 1994, it was reported by Israeli newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth.

Goldstein is buried alone in a garden that has become a shrine to the right-wing extremists Natan-Zada had joined after making contact with them on the internet.

Yesterday his mother Debbie told The Observer there had been no decision but said she wanted her son buried close to their home so the family could visit his grave. The family are upset that they have not been able to bury their son swiftly, in accordance with tradition.

Yitzhak, the gunman's father, threatened to carry the body to the home of Shaul Mofaz, the defence minister.

'I will come with my son's body to Mofaz's home so he may look into my eyes and tell me not to bury it,' he said.

'The defence minister is a coward. We were offered to bury him in Tapuah, but we would not be able to visit him there. The Israel Defence Force abandoned my son, and that is why he was murdered.'

Mofaz said Natan-Zada was not fit to lie next to the dead of Israel's wars. On Friday the teenager's victims: bus driver Michel Bahus, 56; Nader Hayak, 55; Hazar Turki, 23, and her 21-year-old sister Dina; were buried in Shfaram, near Haifa.

Before the killing, Natan-Zada had absconded from the army and was believed to be hiding in the West Bank settlement of Tapuah, which was founded by followers of Meir Kahane, an American rabbi whose Kach party was banned by the Israeli government for its racist views.

Kahane was murdered in New York in 1990 and his followers established a new party, Kahane Chai (Kahane lives) which was also outlawed. Its followers remain active and dozens assembled at the cemetery in Rishon Letzion on Friday awaiting the body of the gunman.

Many likened Natan-Zada to Goldstein, claiming they were both gentle men before carrying out acts of violence driven by despair at the government's direction.

After becoming close to the Kahanists, Natan-Zada initially refused to enlist for his compulsory military service. During his short period of service he was jailed for refusing orders and then deserted a month ago.

It is not clear how Natan-Zada had got from Tapuah to the north of Israel but police have arrested three teenagers from the settlement on suspicion of aiding him.

Although last Thursday's murders have been condemned by most Israelis, the right-wingers who waited to mourn Natan-Zada were already planning to place him in their pantheon of heroes.

Avigdor Eskin, 45, a writer from Jerusalem believes more young Israelis are preparing to carry out acts of violence.

'Many people are desperate because of the government's decision to expel a certain part of the population from their homes. This will develop into more tragedies.

'He was looking for a way to stop what he saw as a Holocaust. I don't think he was to blame, the government was to blame,' he said. He likened Natan-Zada to Goldstein. 'He was also a very gentle man. This was not a hate crime... it was a political act,' he said.
0 Replies