Absurd and just plain dumb

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:30 pm
Many years ago some magazine or newspaper ran an article listing the 5 dumbest members of the House of Representatives. The guy from my district was #1.
He immediately called a press conference at which he stated "I categorically deny that I am the dumbest person in the House..."
He was re-elected for another couple of terms.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:34 pm
"No Froot Loops!" --Saddam Hussein, getting upset at his guards when offered a substitute for his breakfast cereal of choice, Raisin Bran Crunch
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:51 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Mr. Clinton made a "joke" during a White House Press meeting during the weekend of May 1, 1999. He assured the group that although Al Gore attended the Kentucky Derby, he did not sire the winning horse. Everyone laughed (??) This is the president of the United States, making jokes about the VP having sex with a horse?
Source: AP wire. May 2, 1999

The following ... from First Lady Laura Bush's remarks at the 2005 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner:

Quote:
"I'm proud of George. He's learned a lot about ranching since that first year when he tried to milk the horse. What's worse, it was a male horse."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:04 pm
"We actually misnamed the war on terror. It ought to be the Struggle Against Ideological Extremists Who Do Not Believe in Free Societies Who Happen to Use Terror as a Weapon to Try to Shake the Conscience of the Free World." --President Bush, in all seriousness, Aug. 6., 2004
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:06 pm
"George always says that he's delighted to come to these press dinners. Baloney. He's usually in bed by now. I'm not kidding. I said to him the other day, George, if you really want to end tyranny in the world, you're going to have to stay up later." --First Lady Laura Bush
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:18 pm
freeduck wrote:
"We actually misnamed the war on terror. It ought to be the Struggle Against Ideological Extremists Who Do Not Believe in Free Societies Who Happen to Use Terror as a Weapon to Try to Shake the Conscience of the Free World." --President Bush, in all seriousness, Aug. 6., 2004

I've heard that before, freeduck, but thought it was a joke simply because I didn't think Bush was capable of using that many multi-syllabic words in once sentence. I thought his limit was two.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:31 pm
It should be noted, perhaps, in all fairness to Ms Bush, that the White House Correspondents Association Dinner is intended to be silly.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:12 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
It should be noted, perhaps, in all fairness to Ms Bush, that the White House Correspondents Association Dinner is intended to be silly.

a joke is a joke is a joke. and i thought laura's comment was pretty funny.

but i posted it to point out that while ms. bush's comment was "funny" and endeared her to conservatives, mystery's post quoted a similar joke made by clinton and put it in the light of "disgusting".

that is, laura can tell a joke where dubya is implied to have given a horse a handy and it's cute. clinton says that gore did not knock it with a horse and it's "disgusting".

it's a double standard.
0 Replies